New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Car is the Bestest?
Camaro, A4
14.62%
Camaro, M6
34.20%
Firebird, A4
14.46%
Firebird, M6
36.72%
Voters: 1231. You may not vote on this poll

THE POLL TO END ALL POLLS: T/A Vs. Camaro, A4 Vs. M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006 | 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueSix
You know what's really funny? When a 300 rwhp A4 STOMPS a 400 rwhp M6.
I was thinking the same thing. If you think like this and want a dyno queen get a stick!

Personally I like both and these questions are like beating a dead horse. Get whatever you like best. If its an auto just set it up right with a stall and such. If its a stick, when you do upgrade the clutch,etc, make sure you get a quality setup. Both are fun to drive, but serve 2 totally different purposes. The one thing I love about a stick is the gas mileage as well. I have a stalled auto, but I wouldn't mind having a stick just for the mileage reason alone. Oh yeh, dyno #'s as well.
Old 04-18-2006 | 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

I got a 6 speed to have fun now, but as my car gets fater i plan to swap to a TH400 and get crazy. The 6 speed has alot more value then a 4L60 and all the swap parts for someone that wants to go to a 6 speed will cover most of the TH400. So for me 6 speed was the way to go, more fun now, worth more later.
Old 04-18-2006 | 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew somebody was gonna come back with that
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From an M6 owner i say go with an A4...the M6 is indeed nice on the freeway and whatnot but in traffic, with a fairly tough clutch its kind of a pain, not too bad though. And from personal experience, i can say that a good A4 with a hefty cam and nice stall is nothing to mess with. but again its personal preference, go with what you like Man, yes a M6 is fun, But again the A4 is very nice in its own right. Cant go wrong
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

It's a personal choice.

You will almost certainly run quicker with a stalled auto than a manual. You will likely outrun an auto from a high speed roll in a manual. You will need to buy a new rear end much sooner with an M6 than an A4. You will have to buy a new clutch (just like a new converter for A4), difference is you will be replacing that clutch in the future. You may be rebuilding the transmission earlier in an auto (trust me, I know). You can get better gas mileage in an M6. You can shift an M6. You also HAVE to shift an M6. An M6 will dyno higher given equal mods. An A4 will run stronger given equal dyno numbers...and equal mods.

Have you ridden in an LS1 (or any car) with an aftermarket high stall converter? Try to find someone local and see how it is.
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, aren't you hilarious. He's correct, manuals do put more power to the ground, stop being a jackass.

Just because the auto allows you to go from point A to point B faster (1/4 mile ET) doesn't necessarily mean its a faster car at all. A 300WHP A4 is going to be trapping a hell of a lot slower than a 400WHP M6. And guess who ends up getting owned from a high speed roll?? Thats right, the A4.

I'd also like to see a 300WHP A4 "stomp" a 400WHP M6 with a Pro 5.0 and 4.10's. Don't kid yourself
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

LOL wes, Ive raced 6 speed with way more power and layed a whooping on them. What are we ricers going from a roll? Real racers go from a dig! I'd say you have to decide if your a track nut or a street cruiser and find your answer in that.
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Wow, aren't you hilarious. He's correct, manuals do put more power to the ground, stop being a jackass.

Just because the auto allows you to go from point A to point B faster (1/4 mile ET) doesn't necessarily mean its a faster car at all. A 300WHP A4 is going to be trapping a hell of a lot slower than a 400WHP M6. And guess who ends up getting owned from a high speed roll?? Thats right, the A4.

I'd also like to see a 300WHP A4 "stomp" a 400WHP M6 with a Pro 5.0 and 4.10's. Don't kid yourself
Why argue dyno numbers when you can run them? That is his point. Nobody really cares what your rwhp is. Would you rather have a 500 rwhp Supra running a low 12 with a high mph or a 400 rwhp LS1 running 11.5?

Where do you go to race from a high speed roll? None of my local tracks have that event.

Keep in mind that trap speed is a measure of distance to speed. IMO the only numbers that matter are measured against a clock. Time to distance or time to speed. The A4 may be going slower at the finish but it was there first, so the difference in speed isn't as large as it would appear as the auto would be going faster than it's trap speed by the time the manual made it to the finish line.
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97blkz
LOL wes, Ive raced 6 speed with way more power and layed a whooping on them. What are we ricers going from a roll? Real racers go from a dig! I'd say you have to decide if your a track nut or a street cruiser and find your answer in that.
Well I like all kinds of racing personally, I mean its pretty difficult to run somebody from a dig when you catch them on the highway

I believe you've beaten plenty of 6-speeds in your A4, but both have their advantages and disadvantages. A properly set up M6 will hang with an A4 all day with a good driver, and it will still be trapping faster.
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

I believe you've beaten plenty of 6-speeds in your A4, but both have their advantages and disadvantages. A properly set up M6 will hang with an A4 all day with a good driver, and it will still be trapping faster.
What would it take for an M6 to cut low 1.6 60's? A4's need only a converter, decent tires and bolt ons to do that....nothing more, not even suspension.

Unless the M6 gets a strong clutch and rear end plus suspesnion work it almost always loses to an otherwise equal A4 at the track. That gets expensive in a hurry.
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I sold the A4 and have an M6 now, wish I had the A4 back Running the best 1/4 possible has become an addiction to me and realizing im gona need to blow mad $$ on a rear and other supporting suspension parts makes me want to to this Both have thier +/-'s, from your origonal post it sounds like an A4 is what your really looking for, good luck.
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I never said that manuals don't put more to the ground than an A4.

Ok...i'll take a stalled A4 that puts 300 to the ground and you can have a 400 rwhp 6 speed with 4.10's in the stock 10 bolt. I guarantee that when you try to get the car out of the hole as fast as the A4 you will shatter the 10 bolt.

I really don't give a damn about how fast i am going at the end of the 1/4, all i care about is how quickly i get there. Don't kid yourself either. An A4 that is making 300 at the ground through an unlocked converter isn't making that much less power than the 400 rwhp 6 speed. There's something nice about never falling out of the powerband.
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

If you plan on drag racing, I'd go with the auto. I wanted a 6-speed too, but knew I would be racing, so got an A-4 instead. Ran a 8.55 the first time out with LM and lid, another Camaro there with similar mods ran a 9.20. But yeah, they (m6) can be fast, w/slicks, and a hell of a driver.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Well I like all kinds of racing personally, I mean its pretty difficult to run somebody from a dig when you catch them on the highway
It's also pretty difficult to outrun the state trooper that can use a radio traveling at the speed of sound. It's also expensive to hire a good lawyer to fight a street racing/public endangerment charge because you were an idiot.

Take it to the track, go from a dig and have fun trying to make up the ground the stalled A4 put on you in the first 1/8 mile
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow somebody is sensitive about his or her slushbox
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrensls1
It's also pretty difficult to outrun the state trooper that can use a radio traveling at the speed of sound. It's also expensive to hire a good lawyer to fight a street racing/public endangerment charge because you were an idiot.

Take it to the track, go from a dig and have fun trying to make up the ground the stalled A4 put on you in the first 1/8 mile
The last thing we need is people like you coming in and preaching about street racing. Save it for someone who gives a ****

I never said that manuals don't put more to the ground than an A4.

Ok...i'll take a stalled A4 that puts 300 to the ground and you can have a 400 rwhp 6 speed with 4.10's in the stock 10 bolt. I guarantee that when you try to get the car out of the hole as fast as the A4 you will shatter the 10 bolt.

I really don't give a damn about how fast i am going at the end of the 1/4, all i care about is how quickly i get there. Don't kid yourself either. An A4 that is making 300 at the ground through an unlocked converter isn't making that much less power than the 400 rwhp 6 speed. There's something nice about never falling out of the powerband.
Thats a pretty pathetic excuse, that the 10 bolt is too weak. Obviously if blows out you get a new one, you don't blow it and say "okay take the car to the junkyard"

Thats all well and good if you don't care about how fast you are going at the end of the 1/4 mile, but other people, including myself, do. Its a good indication of which vehicle truly is faster, as opposed to ET, which is just a time measurement based on who launches better or has better tires.

Never falling out of the powerband?? Well of course not, the torque converter is always slipping!! Maybe you've never had a physics class, but its pretty self explainatory that slippage = wasted energy. Meaning no matter how fast your auto is, a manual with the same mods will always put down more power. And what makes you think that an M6 falls out of the powerband?? Its not going to lose 100WHP on each shift, thats ridiculous. Throw 4.10's out back and you can keep it on the boil through the whole 1/4 mile, no problem.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:17 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Go with an A4 withthe power and sound. And not having to shift all the time i look at it as a luxry
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
Go with an A4 withthe power and sound. And not having to shift all the time i look at it as a luxry
I look at it as boring and lazy.

But to each his own
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Know what I like about the M6? I'm running a 4.10 gear, I have almost more gear in 5th than a 3.23 auto in 3rd for acceleration, and less gear in 6th than an auto 2.73 car has in overdrive for gas mileage
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO Its hard say muscle car and automatic in the same sentence. Because if you guys remember, the reason they started making automatics was because the car makers were trying to appeal to the female persuasion. Because many of them hated driving stick or didnt know. Any way Nough said, too many peoples feathers are getting ruffled.