New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Car is the Bestest?
Camaro, A4
14.62%
Camaro, M6
34.20%
Firebird, A4
14.46%
Firebird, M6
36.72%
Voters: 1231. You may not vote on this poll

THE POLL TO END ALL POLLS: T/A Vs. Camaro, A4 Vs. M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006 | 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
A properly set up M6 will hang with an A4 all day with a good driver, and it will still be trapping faster.
A properly setup A4 will beat the M6 in the 1/4 mile but will trap less (like you said). But if you want to be serious about drag racing then you need an automatic because ET wins races (not trap speed). The worlds fastest LS1 is an automatic. Not only is it a stalled auto but being in the 6's no M6 is even close to touching it.

If you are going to race at road courses (or not race at all) then by all means the M6 is the superior choice. But f-body drag racing is and will continue to be ruled by the stalled autos. A2's, A3's or A4's can are quicker in the 1/4 mile. Need proof?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php

Look at the top 20 quickest cars on this sites ET database. If you click on the "model" it will link info about the car including transmission. See for yourself how many manuals are in the top 20.

Can a M6 be fast in the quarter mile? Of course they can. Many of them are very fast and can/do beat autos. But mod for mod the auto can be a tad quicker IF they setup the right gear/stall/cam/tire combo.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

The last thing we need is people like you coming in and preaching about street racing. Save it for someone who gives a ****
The last think I need is to be killed by an idiot racing on the highway. Save it for the track.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
IMHO Its hard say muscle car and automatic in the same sentence. Because if you guys remember, the reason they started making automatics was because the car makers were trying to appeal to the female persuasion. Because many of them hated driving stick or didnt know. Any way Nough said, too many peoples feathers are getting ruffled.
Agreed, thats all too true. There was a time when there were no automatics, and they weren't invented with any intention to be "stalled and built with gears".

They were designed as a convienance feature, mostly for women. My opinion is a true sports car always has a manual, take it or leave it.

I also find it ridiculous how the auto guys get their panties in a bunch and get all defensive when people say they prefer manual, get a grip.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

M6 is my choice I've had 1 A4 lt1(95 T/A) 2 M6 LT1's(1 mine one my friend's,drive it all the time thought) and my current M6 LS1. the only way I would buy a auto perf. car is if I could also have my manual perf car to. I love being in total control of when my tranny shifts, plus I know how rebuild manuals. I also like the challenge and knowing that it was my driving talent that beat the other guy not my pcm chosen shifts.

also my first auto car(2.73 rear, some bolt ons) my sister might have been able to get a better 1/4 mi. time in than me because she was lighter. with a auto point it straight put it to the floor and set there, I get bored. I guess I might like a auto better in a built stalled car in other words a fast car.

I say if your still on the fence about look at cars with both and the car that is the best deal go with that one and you might be happier that you got the car that was in the best all aorund condition
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Agreed, thats all too true. There was a time when there were no automatics, and they weren't invented with any intention to be "stalled and built with gears".

They were designed as a convienance feature, mostly for women. My opinion is a true sports car always has a manual, take it or leave it.

I also find it ridiculous how the auto guys get their panties in a bunch and get all defensive when people say they prefer manual, get a grip.
There was a time they were not invented because there was a time we didn't have the technology. There was also a time we didn't have lamps, computers, telephones, ect.

I find it funny how manual guys get all defensive if anyone says someone should buy an auto. Get a grip is right. A grip on reality.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Thats all well and good if you don't care about how fast you are going at the end of the 1/4 mile, but other people, including myself, do. Its a good indication of which vehicle truly is faster, as opposed to ET, which is just a time measurement based on who launches better or has better tires.

Never falling out of the powerband?? Well of course not, the torque converter is always slipping!! Maybe you've never had a physics class, but its pretty self explainatory that slippage = wasted energy. Meaning no matter how fast your auto is, a manual with the same mods will always put down more power. And what makes you think that an M6 falls out of the powerband?? Its not going to lose 100WHP on each shift, thats ridiculous. Throw 4.10's out back and you can keep it on the boil through the whole 1/4 mile, no problem.
All that wasted energy yet the A4 still gets down the track quicker....hmmm...did it ever occur to you that all that slippage putting the car into the powerband was a good thing? That is why autos rule at the drag strip. You can't argue with results.

You just don't have a leg to stand on for this argument. Why do you think a car with a 4400 stall converter will absolutey rape one with a stock converter? The slippage can be a very, very good thing.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrensls1
There was a time they were not invented because there was a time we didn't have the technology. There was also a time we didn't have lamps, computers, telephones, ect.

I find it funny how manual guys get all defensive if anyone says someone should buy an auto. Get a grip is right. A grip on reality.
Way to take what I said and twist it around in your favor. Real creative.

The manual guys aren't getting defensive, we're simply laughing at you auto guys getting upset when people's opinions don't agree with your own.

And the bottom line is autos weren't invented for performance, they were invented for convienance. Way to argue with history.

M6 is my choice I've had 1 A4 lt1(95 T/A) 2 M6 LT1's(1 mine one my friend's,drive it all the time thought) and my current M6 LS1. the only way I would buy a auto perf. car is if I could also have my manual perf car to. I love being in total control of when my tranny shifts, plus I know how rebuild manuals. I also like the challenge and knowing that it was my driving talent that beat the other guy not my pcm chosen shifts.

also my first auto car(2.73 rear, some bolt ons) my sister might have been able to get a better 1/4 mi. time in than me because she was lighter. with a auto point it straight put it to the floor and set there, I get bored. I guess I might like a auto better in a built stalled car in other words a fast car.

I say if your still on the fence about look at cars with both and the car that is the best deal go with that one and you might be happier that you got the car that was in the best all aorund condition
Good points, I feel the same way. I think its totally boring to run down a track hundreds of times doing nothing but flooring the gas and keeping the wheel straight. The real skill is in pulling off good launches and perfectly timed shifts with a manual, anyone can mash the gas in an auto and sit there
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wes, noone is really getting ruffled. its just a simple case of those of us trying to justify one tranny as being better than another. friendly arguments. i will say the street racing "who gives a ****" comment was pretty out of line and careless. but other than that there is no true "fighting", all friendly. So i just say we stay with the pros of each and not completely try to make the other sound like ****. because no matter how you argue it, an auto equal to a stick WILL get down the 1/4 faster, and a win is based on time, rather than trap speed. a win is a win. and that same M6 will equally beat the auto up top most likely if thats your bag, and put more to the ground. so lets just stop all the serious **** talking and have fun discussing it. from my point of view, my buddy has 370~ RWHP and runs LOW 11s all day N/A on an A4. but then again the fastest car ive ever met on the street was a black 6 SPD LS1....spun the tires well past 60, and ran 10.0. So, there you have it. The beauty is you cant **** it up. all preference. so i will shut my mouth and say.... Andy, you are slow.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

I think the negative nostalgia (sp?) with the auto is when people go "nice car...oh wait it's an auto". Rest assured that anyone who says that has never in their life heard of a stall converter.

So whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. Both can be made very fast, both have their advantages and disadvantages, bottom line.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPLATT
wes, noone is really getting ruffled. its just a simple case of those of us trying to justify one tranny as being better than another. friendly arguments. i will say the street racing "who gives a ****" comment was pretty out of line and careless. but other than that there is no true "fighting", all friendly. So i just say we stay with the pros of each and not completely try to make the other sound like ****. because no matter how you argue it, an auto equal to a stick WILL get down the 1/4 faster, and a win is based on time, rather than trap speed. a win is a win. and that same M6 will equally beat the auto up top most likely if thats your bag, and put more to the ground. so lets just stop all the serious **** talking and have fun discussing it. from my point of view, my buddy has 370~ RWHP and runs LOW 11s all day N/A on an A4. but then again the fastest car ive ever met on the street was a black 6 SPD LS1....spun the tires well past 60, and ran 10.0. So, there you have it. The beauty is you cant **** it up. all preference. so i will shut my mouth and say.... Andy, you are slow.
Good reasoning, its just hilarious though how some people are brainwashed that M6's can't be fast just because they don't have a torque converter to slip
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

This is going nowhere. To each his own guys. Get what you want. If you like the whole white trash 1/4 mile bullshit then get the faster A4. I wanted a sports car so I got an M6. Even though the Camaro is not what I would choose to be a track car, I am not going to complain: I am 17 years old with an LS1. I like real racing with real skill. 6 speeds, turns (more than just a circle), and that stuff.

I honestly could care less how fast the car gets down a strip of concrete, but others like it. I'm not saying it is stupid.. I just don't like it. Get whatever you want man. Enjoy it. It is your car, make the decision that is right for you.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B.W.
I think the negative nostalgia (sp?) with the auto is when people go "nice car...oh wait it's an auto". Rest assured that anyone who says that has never in their life heard of a stall converter.

So whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. Both can be made very fast, both have their advantages and disadvantages, bottom line.
Thats what I say when I see a nice car and then spot an automatic trans. Not because I don't know what they are capable of, or that I don't think they can be made fast, its just my personal preference. I think automatic takes 50% of the fun out of driving, IMO.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I say when I see a nice car and then spot an automatic trans. Not because I don't know what they are capable of, or that I don't think they can be made fast, its just my personal preference. I think automatic takes 50% of the fun out of driving, IMO.
I agree, the only reason I bought my WS-6 was because I caught a glimpse of a 6 speed through the T-top glass. All the rest of the cars around here were automatics, and like you said it is so boring driving an auto for me. Plus a get 2 to 3 more miles per gallon than the automatic guys.

And for those of you who dont drive a stick because you dont know how... learn because there is nothing like the feeling of rowing through the gears.

Anybody can drive a slushbox fast. Driving stick is an art.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

anyone can mash the gas in an auto and sit there
You are right, anyone can mash the gas and sit there....with a giant plume of smoke behind them, of course.

There is a little more to it than simply "mashing the gas".

Not only that, but I'd rather mash the gas in exactly the way my car likes, keep the wheel straight and have the time to look at the M6 in my rear veiw mirror as he works his butt off in vain.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adillhoff
If you like the whole white trash 1/4 mile bullshit then get the faster A4.

I honestly could care less how fast the car gets down a strip of concrete, but others like it. I'm not saying it is stupid.. .

Grow up dude. You show your age (17) all too well, with immaturity to match.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
Wow somebody is sensitive about his or her slushbox
Actually, both my truck and GTO are manual's.

A 6 speed is more fun to take down the track, an auto will be more consistant and quicker.

If i were building a track only car that i only wanted to have fun with it'd be a 6 speed. 4.88 gears and 28x10.5W's.

I never said auto's are faster because manuals don't have a converter to slip.

The first 10 second cam only car was an auto. The fastest heads/cam 346 is an auto, the current fastest cam only car would be even faster with an auto (and Rodney can drive his *** off!)

A 6 speed is more fun, but for daily driving it gets old real quick.
Old 04-18-2006 | 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Wesman, I dont know you personally but do you have to be pretty much a know it all *** in just about every post you make. What, your post in the kill section got locked, so now you jump into a tranny thread to get the rest of your emotions out. I dont get it. In this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...94#post4641694 you actually were saying a logical post, as well as a few others.

It just seems that just about every post you post in you try to play the devils advocate. To me you seem like a very intelligent person with alot to offer on this site. No offense, you need to learn some tact when posting and quit trying to be the board know it all. Whats sad is you give me something entertaining to read, but at the same time it gets old.

Anyway, as a fellow LS1 owner and someone who diggs this site, hopefully you learn to kick back and relax. Quit getting worked up so easy!
Old 04-19-2006 | 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Hey Wesman, I dont know you personally but do you have to be pretty much a know it all *** in just about every post you make. What, your post in the kill section got locked, so now you jump into a tranny thread to get the rest of your emotions out. I dont get it. In this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...94#post4641694 you actually were saying a logical post, as well as a few others.

It just seems that just about every post you post in you try to play the devils advocate. To me you seem like a very intelligent person with alot to offer on this site. No offense, you need to learn some tact when posting and quit trying to be the board know it all. Whats sad is you give me something entertaining to read, but at the same time it gets old.

Anyway, as a fellow LS1 owner and someone who diggs this site, hopefully you learn to kick back and relax. Quit getting worked up so easy!
Sorry if I come accross like that man. I really don't mean to, its just my style of posting

I'll try to be more sensitive in the future with my posts...

Old 04-23-2006 | 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Whoever voted for Firebird, M6 obviously didn't read the question. It says, which car is the BESTEST!

Everyone knows it's a Camaro M6.

I have to disagree it's for sure the Firebird M6 ! Is Bestest even a real word?
Old 04-23-2006 | 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well I hate to burst any bubbles in here, but a well set up manual would be the fastest at the track... An A4 (or A3 as is most likely used in the fast cars) is just simpler and easier to set up. Also notice I said manual, not M6... Has anyone tried to set up an LS1 with a Liberty, Lenco, or any other type of racing manual transmission with a multi disc racing clutch (not a Mcleod street twin like mine, but the ones you actually have to maintain and tune). If so I have never seen it. Of course this would get very expensive and complicated real quick so it is not very appealing to most of us. Not to mention the fact that most street car type events have banned those transmissions so you would not be able to run anyway (of course they did it for a reason, because everyone else was complaining it was'nt fair). Back on topic, it looks like the M6 Firebird is running away with the show, what happened?