Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head and Cam pkg or Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head and Cam pkg or Supercharger

I just got my new 01 TA M6 and im thinking about adding more horsepower to it. I cant decide between an ATi procharger or SLP haed and cam pkg for 525hp. Im assuming the hp gain is about the same but are there any significant advantages for either one. Also will I have to upgrade my tranny or rear end. Any other reccomended upgrades please let me know. Thanks alot.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what other mods do you have done. my friend put a procharger on his bone stock (manifolds and eveything) 99 firehawk with 8psi of boost and made 450 to the wheels. and I can't really see a heads and cam package from slp making 525 to the wheels with out other supporting mods. but once you start making more power you rear will need to be upgraded and if you car is a 6 spd a better clutch will be needed too. but for what you asking we need more info
Old 02-24-2006, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. What should I do to the rear end. Swap for a moser 12 bolt. If so what ratio? Everything is stock on my TA except borla exhaust. The SLP package is like 440 to the rear wheels 525 on the fly. So along with the rear end do I need anything else on a stock TA like sub frame connectors. driveshaft, etc.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

If I were you I would start from the ground up and do some supporting mods before huge power adders. You will want to let your car breathe for sure. Your exhaust is a start but theres lots of room for expansion. Some kind of induction (lid, TB, possibly even something like a 90/90 setup if you are planning on making big power like you say) and longtubes are strong starting places. If you can drop the money for a rear end, I'd go with a Moser 9". It is probably the strongest of rear ends for our cars and with 440+ rwhp you are going to need some stability from the rear end (especially with sticky tires). Id suggest 4.10's/4.11's as far as ratio goes just because they mate well with the 6 speed. This is all just my opinion but I personally would not do something drastic like H/C or FI without doing some of the basic bolt ons first. Also I dont know how many miles you have on the car but I just blew up my clutch (Im at 27K miles) and I am probably only making around 350 rwhp. Went to pass a car and threw it into third and just exploded it so you can probably plan on needing a quality clutch to accomodate your power. My .02 but I hope this points you in the right directions!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

10-15k will do the job for everything you need.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Personally IMO I would get a ATI Supercharger, because that is just where I am leaning my mods towards now. But you will definitely have to get a new rear end if you plan doing any onwe of those 2 mods. I have witnessed in person a guy dragging with a stock rear end and a supercharger and that read end snapped like a tig at first launch. It was pretty fricken hillarious lol.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

well like eveyone else said do you supporting mods: headers, ported TB, underdrive if ya want, lid that type of stuff first then do your H/C or FI setup you will see the most that way. And if you have a 6spd get a 9inch rear with 4.11 gears. That is you best bet. do a little research and some reading online or talk to someone at a speed shop or someone that works on these types of cars for a living and see what they say. but I would say do the supporting mods first, you will see the most that way.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Regular

no SLP package will give you 525 hp dont waste your time with them, there products are allright but they are overpriced

do a nice heads/cam package and a set of longtubes with a nice exhaust and do a 12 bolt or 9 inch and suspension mods....
Old 02-25-2006, 06:56 AM

ATI Procharger all the way. The slp 525 hp package will realistically net you 400rwhp. The P1Sc with intercooler will net well over 450rwhp with proper tune. Driveability will be 100% better with the supercharger. Teh supercharger will give you all of the power of the H/c set up + a lot more without any of the shortcommings of a H/C set up. Major point being loss of low end TQ, Surging, etc.,
Old 02-25-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I picked up 218 rwhp with a Procharger and supporting cast. But its gonna cost you to get them ponies. Head and cam will be cheaper, but I do not think you will get over 500 rwhp numbers without a big John Force style cam.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going for that much power, build the car from the back forward and do it right. I.E. 12 bolt, TQ arm, supporting suspension, built T-56 and a good clutch, then do your H/C package or FI. Personally if i had the money i would be all over the supercharger, wont kick in til 3k and you'll get stock like gas milage, stock idle, and stock drivability. Much better IMO.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

go big first. why spend $300 here and $100 there when you can just spend that big chunk of cash and get big power. If you get the blower first you'll forget about the bolt ons(which you should eventually get) but if you start with bolt ons you won't be happy until you can afford the blower, which might take awhile. just my .02