Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beating six speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default beating six speeds

alright i own a 98 z28 camaro. last weekend i raced a black ws6 six speed and also another z28 i think it was a 2002. and well i beat both of them and well all the mods i haved done to my car isnt really much! i did the free mods which are free ram air,ported out maf, egr pipe removed. how much horses are added up with all that?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drivers race.

You do realize we have other sections on this board besides the external right? This is the second thread I've moved out!

BTW - Porting the MAF was a bad idea.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Well its not abnormal, 98s do have a bigger cam and injectors. i remember when my car was stock and all i had was a lid and K&N filter i beat a six speed WS6 from a stop, but it was a close race.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DSRCAM
did the free mods which are free ram air,ported out maf, egr pipe removed. how much horses are added up with all that?
close to zero hp. all you have is a MAF that will potential mess up your car in the future and a gaping hole in your airbox that gives you nothing but a dirty filter (c'mon, if it was a good idea, GM woulda done it, it's FREE!). start with an air lid, a catback and a real ram air kit like the FTRA or SSRA.

removing EGR is good if you get it tuned out.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a stock and unmolested MAF RIGHT NOW. A ported MAF on an A4 will be nothing but problems.

Then get a 3000 stall speed or higher (preferably 3500-4k) torque converter along with the ancillary items to support it (including drag radials) and you will destroy a near stock six speed.

If you can't afford the $1k-$1.5k a good converter swap and tires would cost pick up a lid and cat-back.

Don't forget to use the search button and read the stickies.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

TC is the way to go, if you get some moderate mods and a good tc, you can beat a stick the majority of the time....
Old 07-10-2006, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Find a stock and unmolested MAF RIGHT NOW. A ported MAF on an A4 will be nothing but problems.
please explain?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

I agree, I got my 3400 stall with a 2.1 STR. That was a night and day differance. It isnt even that hard to do the converter swap your self either.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DageGuar
please explain?
Search.

I left my MAF alone, per recommendations from this site, and havn't had any problems myself.

Porting the MAF often makes more power by showing less airflow. Computer injects less fuel and you get a more lean a/f ratio. Not necessarily safe, especially if you don't know what it is via a wideband O2. Additonal problem for A4s: The computer uses the MAF reading in determining shift firmness. You don't want the tranny holding back on line pressure while you are at high or wide open throttle.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
close to zero hp. all you have is a MAF that will potential mess up your car in the future and a gaping hole in your airbox that gives you nothing but a dirty filter (c'mon, if it was a good idea, GM woulda done it, it's FREE!). start with an air lid, a catback and a real ram air kit like the FTRA or SSRA.

removing EGR is good if you get it tuned out.
GMHTP made 10rwhp with free mods. (FRA, !EGR tube, TB bypass)
Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea but magazines always find a way to boost hp up. knida like some sites claiming their MAF give 20rwhp
Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
yea but magazines always find a way to boost hp up. knida like some sites claiming their MAF give 20rwhp
It was dyno proven with almost identical conditions. Besides, what do they have to gain from FREE mods?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

what if u just buy descreened 85mm maf ends? is that gonna cause the same problem? i heard porting them was bad because people were hittin the bars it he middle and screwing up that ****
Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

just dont touch it....it wont serve u any purpose....10rhp out of that? cmon
Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Trust
GMHTP made 10rwhp with free mods. (FRA, !EGR tube, TB bypass)
i call bullshit. dynos lie. it won't dyno exactly the same every time. dyno the car in the daytime, then cut a little this, unbolt a little that, dyno repeatedly at nighttime when it's a lot cooler and keep dynoing til you get a higher than normal reading. BAM! 10 rwhp. even if it was true, i'd rather not have the 10 rwhp than having a torn-up, ghetto-rigged air box with a filter that turns to **** every week and my tb bypassed when if it was such a worthwhile mod, GM woulda done it in the first place. there's a reason why GM didn't do these things in the first place when they were free to do - the negatives outweigh the benefits and you mess things up in the longrun. want a ram air? buy a kit or fab up a REAL ram air. cutting holes in things they don't belong isn't the way to go.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by we_todd_did
/thread failure
LMAO. Threads like this make my head hurt.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
..... a gaping hole in your airbox that gives you nothing but a dirty filter (c'mon, if it was a good idea, GM woulda done it, it's FREE!)....real ram air kit like the FTRA or SSRA.
You do realize that you have to do FRA in order to use an FTRA or SSRA... right?

You do realize that your filter will get just as dirty, if not more dirty, with FTRA/SSRA vs. FRA... right?

Only difference in "real" ram air kits and FRA is the air is cooler with the FTRA/SSRA kits because its pulled from under the car instead of from in front of the radiator. Don't get me wrong, FTRA/SSRA is better than just FRA in my opinion, but don't bash one mod and praise another that is virtually the same thing is my point
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ChrisJ
You do realize that you have to do FRA in order to use an FTRA or SSRA... right?

You do realize that your filter will get just as dirty, if not more dirty, with FTRA/SSRA vs. FRA... right?

Only difference in "real" ram air kits and FRA is the air is cooler with the FTRA/SSRA kits because its pulled from under the car instead of from in front of the radiator. Don't get me wrong, FTRA/SSRA is better than just FRA in my opinion, but don't bash one mod and praise another that is virtually the same thing is my point
do you realize you're sucking in a different quality air with the FTRA/SSRA? do you realize you have a scoop with the FRTA/SSRA instead of a dirt-sucking hole? also, in the case of the FTRA, it's routed to keep water out - and it even has blockoff plates just in case. with the FRA, all you get is a gaping hole in your airbox and a dirty *** filter. PASS! if it was so worthwhile, GM would have done it. free mods are worth every penny you put into them.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

if it was so worthwhile, GM would have done it.
GM engineers arent the automotive gods you make them out to be. If they were, would they have given the V8's a 10-bolt rear? If they were, would they have used more resources to create the stock airlid and air silencer, as compared to a whisper lid? If they were, would they put log manifolds on some of their cars? If they were, would they have put 2-piece driveshafts in some of their cars? If they were, would they have installed those weak-*** window motors in our cars? If they were, would they have put the last 1/4 of the engine under the cowl? If they were, would they have put the skip-shift in the V8's? If they were, would they have chosen stamped steel for the suspension, when the costs for boxing some components is neglible?

Not saying all free-mods are beneficial....and sure, they may have gotten you all hot and bothered with the LS1...but that doesn't mean they're perfect.