New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon buildup above tips, abnormal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon buildup above tips, abnormal?

My car doesn't smoke but there is small black carbon build up directly above my exhaust tips, that's ok right?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the inside of my exhaust tips are so caked with carbon, i can't even get it off with orange clean. i gotta buy a brillo pad and wheel cleaner to get it off. they're the corsa tips, too

it's normal, my friend. the reason why you don't see it is most people clean their tips on cars this nice. they guy that owned my car before me thought it was appropriate to put an $850 catback on it, then never clean the tips
Old 08-18-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

after 6 years of bare minimal maintenance and minimal cleaning (i don't think anyone touched the underneath of the car), i can't get any part of the exhaust clean
Old 08-19-2006, 05:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DarthQuaider
My car doesn't smoke but there is small black carbon build up directly above my exhaust tips, that's ok right?

A 'well tuned' car is not going to be very nasty back there. Does your car have many mods and have you ever had it tuned?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigDaddyZ28
A 'well tuned' car is not going to be very nasty back there. Does your car have many mods and have you ever had it tuned?
It has long tubes, off road y, catback. The previous owner had it tuned, all he told me was that it was tuned to run on 93 octane and to put only premium in it. It's just black above the passenger side exhaust tip. Is there any practical way for me to get that black **** off the back bumper? I'll have to ask the previous owner who it was tuned by and what program was used to do it. Is there any way to find out without asking him?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:50 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

my tips are covered with black residue also and my car is tuned. i just keep it clean
Old 08-20-2006, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

My tips are covered in carbon.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

im doing turndowns after i get my lt's and ory so it doesnt do that **** on my new gunmetal metallic paintjob next week...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DarthQuaider
It has long tubes, off road y, catback. The previous owner had it tuned, all he told me was that it was tuned to run on 93 octane and to put only premium in it. It's just black above the passenger side exhaust tip. Is there any practical way for me to get that black **** off the back bumper? I'll have to ask the previous owner who it was tuned by and what program was used to do it. Is there any way to find out without asking him?

I keep a hefty coat of wax on my bumper to help keep crud from sticking too bad.

I can't help but wonder why your car only has the black stuff above one side... Anyone else have that happening?
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are going to have to ask the previous owner to find out about the tune. (may be faster at least to just ask him)

Best of luck with your ride friend. It sounds awesome, Post up a pic of that beast!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

if you have no converters it is gonna be a lot worse then if you did