New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed fuel filter - WOW what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006 | 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EvoWake
well, my 01 z/28 a4 has 52,000 and some change on the clock, I actually just ran to autozone and picked up a no name filter, I'd assume this would be fine, right? Here's hoping it makes some difference!

My filter was a Purolator. Installed with no problems.
Old 09-20-2006 | 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

do yall think they changed my filter when they installed my 6.0L block?....
Old 09-20-2006 | 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I have a 98 Z28 and the fuel filter took me about ten minutes.

If you read those write ups they say to disconnect the battery, pull the fuel pump fuse and use the schrader valve to release pressure.

Well, I did absolutely none of that.

I took off the gas cap, went underneath with goggles on (in case it truly was pressurized) and I lost MAYBE an ounce of gas. I just put a drain pan underneath and had no mess afterwards.

I used a 16 mm flare on the nut with a 20 mm open end on the filter.

Surprisingly, you don't even have to take off the bracket; the filter just slides out toward the rear.

Don't over complicate things. As long as no one gets in you car and turns the key, you're in no danger at all.

Afterwards, I feel the car runs a little smoother and (for some reason) it sounds louder.

Really, I just have piece of mind.
Old 09-21-2006 | 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Did mine yesterday, Can't say I feel any performance gains, mine probably just wasn't that bad. If anything, there is a little steadier idle and as Da Swami mentioned peace of mind as winter approaches. (for those of us DD's)
Old 09-21-2006 | 10:07 AM
Teching In

you are supose to change the filter every 24,000 miles or every two years. i changed mine the other day, trying to trouble shot a misfire i had. i couldnt blow throught mine either. a sure sign that it needs to be replaced
Old 09-21-2006 | 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by irnbru83
you don't have to change the small one very often at all... probably not in your car's lifetime.

at least, that's what i've been told.
Where is the small one at specifically??? I didn't know about the small one.....I change my filter every 15,000 though
Old 09-21-2006 | 01:54 PM
On The Tree

FYI, you're not going to be able to blow through a fuel filter if the element is wet with fuel (even if it's a new, clean fuel filter).
Old 09-21-2006 | 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Question,.....Run'n a lean code all of a sudden,.....could the fuel filter be responsible?
Old 09-21-2006 | 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

By the way,.....this should be in "General Repare and Maintenence"
Old 09-21-2006 | 06:43 PM
Tech Resident

damn i gotta do this. i hope it's as easy as you guys are making it out to be. i have 33k on the clock, 5 years old and i doubt it has been changed.
Old 09-22-2006 | 12:58 AM
On The Tree

I bought my 1988 t/a GTA with 99k miles on the clock. Let us say, it was very OEM, very untouched. in some ways that was good- the seat upholstery was damn near new. In some ways that was bad- the brake fluid HAD to be original factory. The car didn't stop on a dime, more like a $100 bill. I didn't know enough when I bought it to make a judgement on the acceleration. But one of the things I read about was changing the fuel filter- so under the car I went.
HOLY COW! Changing it did 3x what putting on a flowmaster and k/n filter and CAI ALL TOGETHER. The car just came alive. If I had to take a guess, I'd say a 30HP difference.
So that's an extreme case there.
change your filters, boys (and girls).
This filter was so crudly it was amazing that any gas got to the engine at all!

-sectari
Old 09-22-2006 | 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
By the way,.....this should be in "General Repare and Maintenence"

You are correct. Just noticed that. I appreciate you showing me the err of my ways.
Old 09-22-2006 | 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm.. I should change mine. My car has only 60k, but like everyone else I don't know if it's ever been changed. Could be why it's feeling more sluggish than normal. On one of my old cars I replaced the filter right when I bought it. And less than 6 months later it was completely clogged and my car would keep dying on me.
Old 09-22-2006 | 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yea,..I really ned to swap mine out. I might just do it tomarrow!a
Old 09-23-2006 | 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was PITA to change, then again, I'm a newb when it comes to working on cars. The plastic tab side wouldn't come off for anything, so after 10 minutes I said **** it and squeezed the needle noze as hard as I could and pulled them as hard as I could. It came out, and didn't even break anything. Add to this my fat *** + a jack that doesn't go very high + an uncomfortable gravel driveway. Plus it was the first week I brought the Camaro out so it was probably about 50 degrees out, and the gas was C-O-L-D dripping down my arm. I'd still do it though, it couldn't hurt and only costs ~$10 and took me maybe 45 minutes with all my troubles. I figure every other year for me, which is about 10K miles.
Old 09-23-2006 | 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
damn i gotta do this. i hope it's as easy as you guys are making it out to be. i have 33k on the clock, 5 years old and i doubt it has been changed.
The Almighty seafoam god can't change his fuel filter?
Old 09-24-2006 | 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroz

taco man got owned!
Old 09-24-2006 | 11:56 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroz
ever think that maybe, just maybe, i never tried to change it and haven't had the time to change it? i just put in my ram air kit and just had my cutout welded on. i've finally flushed my radiator and changed my trans fluid. fuel filter would be the next step, but unfortunatley now my water pump has decided to leak and now i need to replace that. that is an install i will NOT be attempting by myself. and tomorrow, school starts for me and i'm off to philly. so when am i supposed to be doing this fuel filter swap, let alone when am i supposed to have the time to do it? if you'd like to come on over and change it for me while i'm in a different state, please do so. until then, i feel it's a good idea to ask if it is difficult to change on our cars since i have never attemped to do so and i'm sure on some cars, a fuel filter change may be a pain in the *** just like a simple spark plug change is hugely annoying on our cars.

you're a prime example why 15 year olds don't belong on car forums.

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z

taco man got owned!
mmm, indeed. the only question that remains is: "how, exactly?"
Old 09-25-2006 | 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch, You called me 15 ! Teh Ultimate Comeback!!! Are you going to bring my "momma" into this now?
Old 09-25-2006 | 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

It is easy but the plastic tabs can be stubborn. I pressed these with some large needle nose pliers and used leverage to slide the feeder line towards the back of the car. What took me longer to figure out was that the brackets rotate downward. Once the lines were released, I rotated the filter and brackets downward and the filter came right out.

Just make sure that you have plenty of rags to catch all of the fuel that will spill out.

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filter - WOW what a difference!