New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed fuel filter - WOW what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

stop hating on chocotaco. i dont know why everyone insists on being a ***** but i have had nothig but positive help with choco. knock the bullshit off.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
stop hating on chocotaco. i dont know why everyone insists on being a ***** but i have had nothig but positive help with choco. knock the bullshit off.
All the **** that he gets, he has brought on himself.

He hasnt been bad lately, but for all the preaching he did to everybody on here about cats and rasp, and being the self proclaimed exhaust guru, only to find out he didnt know what kind of exhaust he had, he deserves some ****.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
but unfortunatley now my water pump has decided to leak and now i need to replace that. that is an install i will NOT be attempting by myself.
Chaco; this is not too difficult (I did it all by myself, with a Helms manual). But, it IS time consuming (correct torque settings, working around the radiator if you don't want to be bothered with removing it), and NOT something you want to rush if you have limited time.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Choco, it is easy to do as many of the others have said, it took be but 15 minutes.

to everyone else: choco can stick up for himself, he always can, wether he knows what hes talking about or not, he's "always right" so just leave it be. some people just will never know what it means to be humble.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoWake
Choco, it is easy to do as many of the others have said, it took be but 15 minutes.

to everyone else: choco can stick up for himself, he always can, wether he knows what hes talking about or not, he's "always right" so just leave it be. some people just will never know what it means to be humble.
i'll admit i'm stubborn, but i'm not above admitting i'm wrong about something. i've done it many times before. what i don't do is apologize to complete ********, so if you're being a jerk, don't expect me to work with you. expect me to be stubborn and rude. go through my history. any argument i've ever gotten into, someone else started it. a lot people don't realize that what goes around comes around, so if you're gonna start...well, expect it to go on for a while. however, if you're nice, expect the same courtesy back from me. you'll see i'm NEVER rude to a nice person, i'm only courteous in return.

what i don't back down on is opinion, such as exhaust note and rasp. i'm so sorry i think LS1's sound better with cats, but most people will agree with me. if you like rasp and popping, by all means run cats. everything i've ever said has only been to help, so take it for what it's worth. i suggest you get this thread back on topic before it gets locked.

Originally Posted by bww3588
thanks for the support

and thanks to all for attempting to convince me on doing my own water pump swap, but i'm really not up for it. i just don't have the time. i'll be in philly for school and my car will be in NJ, so i'm just going to drop it off for a week or two at my buddy's brother's shop. i know he'll be doing a good job because he just did a water pump install on a camaro SS last week so the knowledge is fresh in his mind. and i know he'll cut me a good deal. he just welded my cutout on my car for free last week it pays to know people.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-25-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i'll admit i'm stubborn, but i'm not above admitting i'm wrong about something. i've done it many times before. what i don't do is apologize to complete ********, so if you're being a jerk, don't expect me to work with you. expect me to be stubborn and rude. go through my history. any argument i've ever gotten into, someone else started it. a lot people don't realize that what goes around comes around, so if you're gonna start...well, expect it to go on for a while. however, if you're nice, expect the same courtesy back from me. you'll see i'm NEVER rude to a nice person, i'm only courteous in return.

what i don't back down on is opinion, such as exhaust note and rasp. i'm so sorry i think LS1's sound better with cats, but most people will agree with me. if you like rasp and popping, by all means run cats. everything i've ever said has only been to help, so take it for what it's worth. i suggest you get this thread back on topic before it gets locked.
Choco I completley understand where you're coming from. But you have to reallize that other people have opinions too, and not always expect people to agree with you. You in a sense being a hypocrite because although you say people should respect your opinion, you don't respect the opinion of others. all the forums are for is to put your opinion out there and learn a few things, based on your own personal judgment and analysis of the *opinions* that a person collects while reading on them. We're not here to argue till death about anything. you don't like rasp, maybe some people do... also everything on here *opinions* is relative. not everyone has the same frame of reference, likes/dislikes etc. for example, a buddy of mine deleted his cats and has an aftermarket catback, and it does infact sound terrible. however, on another friends setup, deleted cats, stock catback, it sounds fantastic, but again, this is just my opinion. maybe to you you'd like the opposite, or neither. so to tell someone with a brand new ls1 that something is terrible or not i think is terrible, because half the fun of having one of these cars is learning by doing, besides, maybe they'd like the sound/feel/whatever that someone is advising them against? At any rate, don't try to make people think your opinion is fact, and then tell them that what may have worked for them is garbage.

to Choco pertaining to the topic: The only hard, er, more or less tricky part of changing this filter out is releasing the plastic tabs on the old filter. someone suggested using a pulltie for this, which would probably work perfectly, however i couldent find one laying around, even though i know we have hundreds of them someplace. I used small flathead screwdriver and pushed down on the upper tab and it popped right off. easier said than done to say the least. once that's done, er before actually, make sure you have something to catch the extra fuel with, not a whole lot spills out, but enough. also, i don't know if it makes a difference to be honest, but i did anyway, I took my gascap off, to release any pressure, just to be safe. after that it's pretty simple, so good luck and hopefully no probelms!

Last edited by EvoWake; 09-26-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with EvoWake about ChocoTaco369. ChocoTaco369,...Ive seen how critical you get about other peoples views on here and sometimes,.it just ain't right. Anyways......

I'm gonna pick up the fuel filter today. ....Anyone have a good idea as to which fuel filter I should go with or does it just not matter?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by EvoWake
Choco I completley understand where you're coming from. But you have to reallize that other people have opinions too, and not always expect people to agree with you....

to Choco pertaining to the topic...
i'm only harsh on those that are harsh, or better put, bring it on themselves. i will admit that i have the habit of carrying it on too far for my or anyone else's own good, but what can i say, passion is my biggest flaw

nevertheless, thanks for the advice on the fuel filter. i doubt it'll be too hard. my fuel economy somehow dropped after installing an FTRA - and i haven't changed my driving style a bit, i'm actually keeping the RPM's down to help preserve my newly leaking water pump - and i think it's time to do this swap.

what brands of filters do you guys recommend? i was thinking of getting Napa Gold one, just like my oil filter. are their fuel filters as highly praised as their oil filters? i want a good one.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Choco, honestly I don't think it really matters, I just walked into autozone and got whatever the house brand was. There isn't much to it so I can't imagine one being much better than another. They run about $6.49 though. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

I got the ACDelco fuel filter when I did mine....
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Whats the P# for the Fram and the AC Delco filter?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

GF578 (delco)
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

I would stick to the Delco or Wix (who I believe make the Napa Gold??). But yes, it probably does not make too much difference (certainly not as much as having any brand new, clean vs. any old dirty filter).
Old 09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2002t/a06
do yall think they changed my filter when they installed my 6.0L block?....
I am sure they did...
Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
I always buy GM parts if not too much money...for all around reliability it is the best I think.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Launching!

I just changed mu fuel filter (1 hr ago)...Very easy, lots of gas came out.....Other than that, very easy...didn't notice a difference at all...But I know it's clean..so I know if nothin..piece of mind.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Picked up whatever pep boys had today. Anyone ever hear of 'Pureolator' before? Blew threw it,...jeezus,.....flows alot of air! Hopefully I can feel the difference tomarrow after I throw it on.

My cousin barrowed my 5/16 wrench tho so I need to probably borrow one from my neighbor.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

ehhh i changed my filter and the biggest pain in the *** was the clip, cause it was rusted some what and didnt want to budge.....i used a ac delco gold filter.....

as for choco....hes a good guy, only if i could get stickies posted up as fast as he could s: brownies....you say....brownies....

and onemeanz deftones kick *** (my own summer, minerva), but how can you live in bristol? i couldnt stand nashville
Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Resident

Soooo does any1 know where the "little" fuel filter is???? I'm curious to know where it's located.....heard it's a pity to get to
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Picked up whatever pep boys had today. Anyone ever hear of 'Pureolator' before? Blew threw it,...jeezus,.....flows alot of air! Hopefully I can feel the difference tomarrow after I throw it on.

My cousin barrowed my 5/16 wrench tho so I need to probably borrow one from my neighbor.

I purchased a Purolator from Advanced Auto. I know that I could feel a difference in mine. Like was previously mentioned, at least you'll have peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filter - WOW what a difference!