New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed fuel filter - WOW what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
okay, so i just got done changing my fuel filter. i took a shower and i still smell like gasoline

i did a stupid thing, though. when i took off the old fuel filter, i never made a mental note to remember how far into the nut of the fuel filter the threaded bolt went into it on the metal fuel line side.

when i put in the new fuel filter (napa gold), i wasn't able to get the threaded bolt on the metal fuel line all the way into the stationary nut. basically, if you can picture this, the two nuts aren't touching each other. there's like a centimeter between them. now, i started the car up and revved the engine and let it idle for a few minutes and there was no dripping, nor was the filter wet anywhere. i'm letting it sit on my driveway pad for a few hours to see if anything drips. do you guys think it's tight enough? or did you guys get the two nut heads to touch on the metal fuel line side? i'm scared i'm gonna go WOT and blow my fuel line open...or am i just paranoid?
Man you'll be fine, it's suppose to be that way
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, so i just got done changing my fuel filter. i took a shower and i still smell like gasoline

i did a stupid thing, though. when i took off the old fuel filter, i never made a mental note to remember how far into the nut of the fuel filter the threaded bolt went into it on the metal fuel line side.

when i put in the new fuel filter (napa gold), i wasn't able to get the threaded bolt on the metal fuel line all the way into the stationary nut. basically, if you can picture this, the two nuts aren't touching each other. there's like a centimeter between them. now, i started the car up and revved the engine and let it idle for a few minutes and there was no dripping, nor was the filter wet anywhere. i'm letting it sit on my driveway pad for a few hours to see if anything drips. do you guys think it's tight enough? or did you guys get the two nut heads to touch on the metal fuel line side? i'm scared i'm gonna go WOT and blow my fuel line open...or am i just paranoid?
i was wondering the samething.....i kept getting under the car everytime i turned it on just to make sure....hell i still do.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice one. paranoia FTW!

thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone explain exactly in detail how to replace the fuel filter I have a 2k trans am and would limke to change it whats a shrader valve ???
Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FDXHAWK
can someone explain exactly in detail how to replace the fuel filter I have a 2k trans am and would limke to change it whats a shrader valve ???
here's a writeup:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

it's a very straightforward thing to do. however, it can be very frustrating because there is very little room underneath the car to work with. it was a pain in the butt getting the metal fuel line back on for me. took me like 5 minutes to get the damn bolt threaded.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ChocoTaco369
,.......You should be fine. If it wasn't drip'n then I think your in the clear.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here's a writeup:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

it's a very straightforward thing to do. however, it can be very frustrating because there is very little room underneath the car to work with. it was a pain in the butt getting the metal fuel line back on for me. took me like 5 minutes to get the damn bolt threaded.
this is why i love this forum...good lookin out wit that website CT...
Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Default Took it to the dealer

After hearing pros and cons I just took it to the GM dealer. $41 later I am done. Ouch!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
After hearing pros and cons I just took it to the GM dealer. $41 later I am done. Ouch!

Ouch is right. I'm glad that I saved myself $30 by doing it myself. If you have the $$ but don't have the time, I don't blame you though.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
LOL,.ouch!

Yea,..after do'n that and alot of other stuff on my car myself I can definatly say that I feel like i'm in more controle of my bank account when something neads to be cleaned, swaped, fixed or upgraded on my baby.

You should definatly start look'n into do'n this stuf on your own for now on. Dealers make their money on rape'n our wallets for stupid stuff like this.

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filter - WOW what a difference!