New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Clutching......

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powershifting should be used at the track but can be used on the street. You have more of a risk of missing a shift and blowing a gear when powershifting.

Shifting without the clutch is nothing more then letting off the gas and putting pressure on the gear to let it fall in. It is called Rev-matching. When the engine RPM and trans RPM are the same then the syncro and gear will automatically line up, hence letting the gear engage without disengaging the clutch. I use it when I'm lazy or when I'm bored and not use the clutch so my passenger can see. It is definately not for race use since you have to wait a second while letting off.

Remember to always make sure you hit that gear!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Somebody09
I heard someone talk about straight-cut gears for a transmission once when talking about power shifting... I didn't do any research because my Google (or whatever search you like) is broken. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks!

(this is actually interesting to me)
Supposedly a company named Liberty builds T56s to be "pro-shifted" without using a clutch, but these are for (drag) racing only, NOT for the street/dual purpose. The straight cut gear gearboxes (Weismann, Tex 101, Jerico [as used in the SAM car and Tosto 1st gen.], etc.) are made to be shifted without a clutch, if you so desire, after using the clutch to get into first gear. These are also the units used in NASCAR and SCCA Trans Am racing. For the most part they are UNSTREETABLE, as the gear noise/whine/SCREAM is sooo loud it would drown out open headers/built, big cam motor, from inside the car. Check out in-car vids of Trans Am cars on a road circuit to see/hear what I'm talking about. Of course, someone will come on here and say, "Oh yeah, well I drive a straight cut transmission around on the street, and I have NO problem with it." Believe me, they are the EXCEPTION NOT THE RULE!!! These things will deafen you on a daily driven/often driven car.
Real, true racing sequential transmissions should be shifted without a clutch (again after clutching into 1st). But again the noise is unbearable, and the cost is waaay more than an f body when it was new!!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Isn't double clutching to prevent blowing the welds on the intake?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
Yes it is. Because you don't want to make the mad scientist have to rip apart the block to replace the piston rings you fried
Old 09-28-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
lol,........Not to my knowledge!

Double Clutching is something for truck drivers in rigs. I remember after Fast and the Furouse came out,...EVERY frig'n kid couldn't stop using that damn phrase!!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i got a 4L60E. every shift's a powershift in my car
push that **** son....push it....who needs a clutch when you can feel the car body drop itself from neutral to drive?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all this talk about the fast and the furious im waiting for someone to say they have to have a 13 second car
Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

I have to have a 13 second car.

Quite frankly, if you blow a gear or miss a gear while powershifting then you should probably never drive a stick. Well, that was a bit extreme. If you are going to powershift, practice shifting very quickly in a safer enviroment. I hear people have a hard time with third gear. If you practice it and still want to do it, then do it. When I powershift at the track I just spin. So I granny shift and baby it off the line..

Because not being able to powershift at the track has NOTHING to do with my stock 10 bolt and shitty street tires.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn you kidz is rookiez just rev it to 6000 and pop it in to to drive. Thats the only way to powershift
Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james562
damn you kidz is rookiez just rev it to 6000 and pop it in to to drive. Thats the only way to powershift
THAT'S BAD ADVICE!!!!!!!

You need bring it up to 6000 while on the highway, pop it into reverse, go into a 180 spin and flip off the car in front of you
Old 09-29-2006, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

actually the best move is to do all that and make sure a cop can see you do it. then to get away you can use a whole bunch of cars like yours to drive around till you get away.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Shifting without the clutch is slam boxing. I did it in my Saturn all the time. It worked great. The synchros were pretty free or something. I would never do it in my car. I know how but will not.

It is in Unit's nature as a mod to be sarcastic and rib people for stupid coments and wrong info. I don't blame him. I did not like it at first but after being on here a while I saw why. Too much ignorance on this site and the egos to go along with it. You loose patience after a while for that junk. Now I have great respect for the mods here and have gained much knowledge to pass on to others.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

darrensls1's right,....THATS BAD ADVISE!! I remember this kid a few years back was rev'n up at a light in a mustang next me when I had the 68 Firebird. Kid kept it in neutral and must have brought it up all the way to like 5K rpms or maybe even almost 6K rpms. I dunno exactly but it was up there! LOL,.light went green and he dropped it from Neutral to first.........lol,.........SHATTERED THE YOKE ON HIS DRIVE SHAFT!!! I remember see'n the driveshaft launch out the back of his frig'n car. Yea,..thats a bad idea unless your try'n to amuse the car next to ya.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

cmon guys it works, I pull c6 zo6's from a dig all day long with this method Just make sure you have your car tuned to have the transflux capaciter engauge at WOT
Old 09-29-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

cmon guys it works, I pull c6 zo6's from a dig all day long with this method Just make sure you have your car tuned to have the transflux capaciter engauge at WOT
lol,... Transflux what?!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Duh....transflux capaciter
Geez you noobs
Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Duh....transflux capaciter
Geez you noobs
You mean, Flux Capacitor?

I got .7's on my 1/4 with that and the engine oil bypass kit.
Next week, im thinkin about ordering the O-Pipe.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

The last time I double clutched while I was spraying the fsking passenger floorboard fell out! Of course that was after my laptop was warning about "danger to manifold"...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
The last time I double clutched while I was spraying the fsking passenger floorboard fell out! Of course that was after my laptop was warning about "danger to manifold"...
lol,.....NICE!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

the transflux capaciter is a flux capaciter designed specificly to limit your shifts on an a 4l60-E programing it to lock up it through tunning gave me .7 off my 9 sec ET

Quick Reply: Double Clutching......