Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry to be such a ...newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sorry to be such a ...newbie

But... I have owned my 98 ss for 4 years and the only problem I've had was an alternator which I replaced myself.
It's stock other than K&N filter and a flowmaster mufler.
Today it threw me for a loop when I got on it kinda hard. Valves started chattering, blew smoke behind me and threw the SES light. I took it to Advance auto parts and they scanned the code "PO405 EGR flow sensor A Circuit low input" they couldn't tell me what that meant. It was also a quart low on oil and inside the oil cap was a kinda Yellow sludge. It's never used oil before. Always changed every 3000m and up till I found this site I had used Fram filters (AC delco from now on)
I don't have any idea where to start. Hate to go to dealership too $ hungry.

IDEAS?? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Sorry to be such a ...newbie-resizess.jpg  
Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Yellow sludge is coolant or water in the oil. Was your coolant level low?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Is this a M6 car and did you miss a shift? Almost sounds like bent pushrods except for the smoke. I wouldn't worry too much about the yellow sludge inside the oil cap. That's condensation. Mine was like that when it stock and was worse in cold weather. I would check the PCV valve for replacement. The 98's (aka bastard child) PCV is located on the passenger side valve cover (follow the black tube from the TB) wrapped in black foam which needs to be cut for access. Mine routinely burned a quart of oil under hard use so I ran 6 quarts of oil to help out.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Would the PCV valve trigger the EGR code he was talking about? Could the EGR pipe be blocked going into the intake?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6togo
Would the PCV valve trigger the EGR code he was talking about? Could the EGR pipe be blocked going into the intake?
I only mentioned the PCV because with age they tend to get clogged.

Code PO405 -indicates a low voltage for the EGR circuit. The EGR pintle valve could be stuck. If the problem goes away when it's warm, then that is the problem. I would clear the code and see if comes back.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Teching In

It is a 6 speed and no, I didn't miss a shift. Just ran it up to about 5000 Rpm in 2nd and the valves started playing their tune. I was wondering if it could be bad gas or even a clogged cat. BTW, it has 95,000 miles on it.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

You could try to find an ls1 'friendly' shop, someone who is experienced in dealing with ls1s, they're going to be more likely to be able to help you than try and rip you off. Ask around in your regional forum for suggestions and links.

Also try posting in the external section as some don't visit this forum as much...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well remove the EGR and AIR stuff and then get somebody to delete the codes.