Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The time has come

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choco,

I have come to respect your points of view from your postings here, but on this point I, respectfully have to completly disagree with you!

From your posts in this thread, I would have to assume you have NEVER driven the SRT-8 offerings from MOPAR. To compare them to the current GM offerings is a bit near-sighted. I SERIOUSLY contemplated trading our SS for a 300 SRT-8. The only things that stopped me (aside from the wife ) were the facts that the SS is nearly paid for, it is mint condition, and we don't NEED a larger car. I guess smaller points would be that there are alot of LX based cars on the road and you may tend to "pass yourself" alot and the interior could be better (but is much nicer than the 4th gen F-bodies).

I am a fan of GM, but the LX cars, specifically the Charger/300 SRT-8's are damn nice cars that command respect from a performance stand-point. If I needed a larger car, I'd be driving one TODAY without question.

I just wish GM would end thier rectal-cranial insertion and build something that actually competes with them- at similar price points (forget the Caddy V-series). Here's hoping for an LS2 (or better) based Zeta sedan in the near future..... a Pontiac Bonneville (no not a G8 or rebadged Holden Grand Prix) would be nice.

KrazyDan..... go with the SRT-8 if your wallet will stand it. You won't be sorry. Here is a link to some folks from the "other" side. It's a 300 forum, but they have an SRT-8 section and seem to be an OK bunch for 300's and Chargers.

Allen
Old 01-01-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what do you think of the new impala ss? personally, i kind of like it. i say check that out
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Power is decent? It makes barely 50hp/L!
it's a V6. who cares about hp/litre? the LS1 only make 43.75hp/litre (350hp/8 cylinders). i guess the LS1 doesn't make any power, right? don't be a jackass. hp/litre means nothing. the 3800 is a peppy engine. don't get your panties in a twist because your argument has been broken down by others.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RMC_SS_LDO
Choco,

I have come to respect your points of view from your postings here, but on this point I, respectfully have to completly disagree with you!

From your posts in this thread, I would have to assume you have NEVER driven the SRT-8 offerings from MOPAR. To compare them to the current GM offerings is a bit near-sighted. I SERIOUSLY contemplated trading our SS for a 300 SRT-8. The only things that stopped me (aside from the wife ) were the facts that the SS is nearly paid for, it is mint condition, and we don't NEED a larger car. I guess smaller points would be that there are alot of LX based cars on the road and you may tend to "pass yourself" alot and the interior could be better (but is much nicer than the 4th gen F-bodies).
you're right, i have never driven an STR-8 or a 300C. as a matter of fact, i've never even been inside one, even despite the fact one of my best friend's mom has a 300C hemi. i don't like them for a few reasons:

1.) i think they're ugly, but that's just my personal preference
2.) it's a dodge

i'm just not a fan of dodge cars. dodge doesn't have the best record for reliability out there. they're known to make junky cars, at least from a historical perspective. for example, the dodge neons of the 90's were arguably one of the biggest pieces of junk ever created. i think everyone has a neon-horror story they've discovered either themselves or inherited from a friend.

i couldn't rock a dodge because plainly, i don't trust them yet. i realize the f-body is a rattlebox, but GM makes a damn reliable car (in stock form, at least). they have the best record of reliability in a historical perspective of ANY american car. dodge and ford simply don't have that strong reliability history that GM has.

i could never buy a foreign car. i hate them too much. i like supporting american companies because when push comes to shove and we are at war, who is going to produce our tanks and supply vehicles? not toyota or honda. it's gonna be GM, ford and dodge. since these are the only companies i'm willing to support, and i don't feel that ford and dodge have the history of reliability, GM is my mark. i'm a standup GM guy, and i simply cannot recommend another car from another manufacturer. chevy, pontiac and cadilliac have everything i could ask for in the realm of performance, reliability and luxury. that's why i stand by them, and even if the SRT-8 is a nice car, which i'm not doubting, i won't recommend it. it's just the way i am.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Banned

Do you owe a ton on the WS6? If you owe less than 11k just keep it (or refinance it) and buy a cheap Honda Accord for family duty... for the time being.

Pay off the WS6, pay off the family car and in 3-4 years you can buy the newest "next big thing of 2010-11" and still have a paid off WS6 to cruise on weekends with the t-tops off.

BTW- Congrats on the daddy thing.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Teching In

There's also the Trailblazer SS.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

anything will last.. if you take care of it. My dad's got a '96 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 with close to 170K and the only major repair was new master cylinder, if you even consider that major. DD work truck, he owns a masonry business. So yeah, it's been beaten up on.

you want to stay GM why not get a new Caddy?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbiis
There's also the Trailblazer SS.
Bingo!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw dodge

get a trailblazer ss, u wont be disappointed
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by steveo346
screw dodge

get a trailblazer ss, u wont be disappointed
Until you meet a Grand Cherokee SRT8 at a stoplight, which is, by the way, a Mopar.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Why not go with the CTS-V intead. Thats the family car I'm going with but Im sure as hell not letting go of my camaro ither.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMO, if you truly want a family car, fwd is the way to go since it's safer in the weather.

tell that to all the people in SUVs with 5 kids jumping around when its snowing/raining... i bet they would want to loose control one day lol

my family car is gonna be an 06 M6 GTO.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Personaly, I would never let go of my Bird, but a man has to do what a man has to do. And whats this about GM having nothing to offer? Whats wrong with the GTO? Only 20 less horsepower...but it costs at least 2k less. It was designed to liberate the family man who didnt want to drive around V-6 sedans for the rest of their life. Some the 2004 and 2005 GTO don't look very tough at all, but the 2006 ones look badass. Just recess the grills and you got yourself a badass machine. And the interior is amazing. Although, if you did decide to keep you Trans Am ( what I would do ) is buy a 2004 Bonneville for about 18K. The GXP has a V8 in it. Extremely roomy car, plush, great looking, reliable, and with a V8 to boot. http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/0...sized-425).JPG

Last edited by FTA27; 01-02-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I would go with the cts-v. Very nice car with good power.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
It looks like Ill be giving up my car. But it will be for my first child. Im going to be looking for a more family car. The only thing I can justify giving the Trans Am up for is a Charger SRT-8. I would like to go GM, but they havent shown me anything here lately. I figure, go with the srt-8 and have the best of both worlds....a nice family car and the power to satisfy the urge. What do you guys think? Im I headed in the right direction? I love my car and never thought I would get rid of it.
SRT8 has Dodge's ripped off version of the LS2 in it, lol. They got another 40hp or so out of it than GM did with only .1L more thought it seems...Go for it
Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FTA27
Personaly, I would never let go of my Bird, but a man has to do what a man has to do. And whats this about GM having nothing to offer? Whats wrong with the GTO? Only 20 less horsepower...but it costs at least 2k less. It was designed to liberate the family man who didnt want to drive around V-6 sedans for the rest of their life. Some the 2004 and 2005 GTO don't look very tough at all, but the 2006 ones look badass. Just recess the grills and you got yourself a badass machine. And the interior is amazing. Although, if you did decide to keep you Trans Am ( what I would do ) is buy a 2004 Bonneville for about 18K. The GXP has a V8 in it. Extremely roomy car, plush, great looking, reliable, and with a V8 to boot. http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/0...sized-425).JPG

He has a family...the SRT8 is as fast as an M6 GTO and faster than the auto imho. The wife could drive the auto SRT8.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Banned

A lot of people think GTOs are ugly, myself being one of them.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Yea, I was going to say CTS-V, but i had read problems about the rear end, which I'm not even sure if its a widescale problem or not. Then I remembered if you bought it new, it would have a warranty, so that wouldn't even really be too much of a concern. I love CTS-V's though, they are one of my favorite cars.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Resident

the STI is AWD and puts down impressive power....lol..jk... I think you should just go with the GTO my brother has one and he has two kids and they love it enough room for all of them..... mabye even a used 03 cobra I can fit in the back of one and I'm 6'1"... but I really don't like chrysler that much at all....
Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my GTO but it would make a horrible "family" car. Back seat access in the car is pretty awful. Great driving and comfortable, but the back seat area is pretty much a "use only if you have to" thing. It's comfortable back there, but getting in and out is a royal nightmare.

And STi would be an improvement, but a SRT-8 would make a much better family car with some power to make it enjoyable. I think a TBSS would be pretty sweet as well.