Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reaching Terminal Velocity

Alright ladies and gents.

I'm about to fall into ~$3k.

This makes me happy.

I was gonna set it all towards paying off my newly purchased WS6. But I think I've decided that wouldn't be much fun.

Now, for well under 3k I intend to:

1) Build a new induction system. This will involve complete removal of the factory are box and replacement with a large cone filter. I will be making the ram air hood functional and be building an aluminum heatshield behind the cone to keep IAT as low as possible.

2) Build a new exhaust. Including, but not limited to, headers and all piping between the headers and the mufflers out back. I'm thinking dual 2.5" all of the way out the back. To big/Small? which mufflers? I don't mind a dull roar at an idle, so long as I can talk over it. Also, which headers flow well? Is a polished header going to keep less heat in the engine bay then a heat wrapped steel header?(I'm kind of doubting it, but I've heard debate recently)

3) Buying either HPtuners or EFILive and removing my cats. Why? Because. I will eventually put a single large turbo on the car. Maybe not today, probably not tomorrow, but someday. So a tuning program will be essential.

I do all of my own work, welding and fabrication, tuning, ect.

Any suggestions? Comments? Complaints? Guestimations as to RWHP? Car is currently bone stock.

I'll be taking a lot of pictures of the car as it evolves into a mean machine. Any feed back would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers all dyno basically within a 5hp range I'm a fan of pacesetters. They're cheap, and great quality. EFIlive, big plans eh? Oh turbo. If your doing the work yourself you could get full bolt ons, cam, supporting valvetrain and maybe some budget heads. That's alot of custom work for an intake. The lid/filter set flows fine for close to stock set ups. Especially seeing as you've got aims for going turbo you could leave that custom intake fab work for latter on. You gonna be doing your own work for fabbing the turbo work, wish I had those kinds of skills. Looking at the cars in your sig and your post number, you new to lsx's? With your plans you might want to look at dropping that on a 12bolt or 9inch.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Yessir, I'm new to LSxs. I am VERY pleased with my current car. Just bought an 01 WS6 M6.

AWESOME ride.

I have a question about its stockness, if'n you could help me out.

Is this normal?

Today I laid into the car for the first time. Flew up an onramp to merge.
Slammed into third at 70~ MPH(didn't run second completely out). The tires broke free and the car squatted really wickedly to my right. Didn't replant them until I took my foot off of the throttle. Is this normal? 275 wide tires on a limited slip diff should offer more traction, I thought..

I'm only 21 years old, as well. So I don't know everything. But half the fun is breaking stuff in the trying.

And most people look at the cars in my sig and instantly think "rice burner." Fortunately, I've got 50 bucks to back them up almost any time.

And I will be putting a 9 inch Ford under it ASAP. Thinking 3.23s~ MAYBE 3.73s~

I'll do more homework on that later.

And due to projected budget constraints I will be running one very large turbo in lue of the twin setup. But thats not for a year or two.

Heads and cam, forged internals should be done next winter at the latest, however.

Thanks for your input, mine friend! Any suggestions, comments, and what not are greatly appreciated. Especially since I can't afford to break everything once.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Torque my friend.

These cars are dangerous in the wrong hands. Dump that clutch with the revs up on a curve in the rain and you will end up backwards in a ditch before you can say "Don't know my own strength!"

Muscle cars take finesse to drive well. There is almost always more power available then you need. Just respect it and have a ball.

My first launch was 60 ft sideways!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, thats actually why rear wheel drive large displacement cars are my favorite.

My Camaro lit the tires up quite nicely from a 90 MPH roll, before I put the drag radials on it.

So I take it getting a little squirly at 70 MPH is normal in one of these beasties?
It was dry out.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

For 3K I would say get pacesetters/ory/cutout, N20 kit (100-150 shot), tuning software (I see you already want EFI live, good choice!), adjustable panhard rod, LCAs, and some SFC's. Since your going to be building a forged shortblock I say spray the **** out of the stock one (ls1's can handle 100-150 shot pretty easily). With a 150 shot, heards/ory/cut out, CAI, and a good tune you should see almost 500 rwhp and with the tires and suspension mods listed you will be able to make some use of the power. I would suggest a cam but if your going turbo in a couple of years you will want a turbo cam for your application so you might want to hold off on that.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

I would suggest starting with the basics: intake and exhaust. Are you a A4 or M6? Get an aftermarket lid (forget about that custom setup, you're not going to gain very much if at all because aftermarket lids flow real well). Then look into headers (stainless is nice), and true duals. You want to do research on both of those, as there are many options. As a suggestion, I would go with QTPs or Kooks headers, with Bassani True Dual exhaust kit (one of the only TD kits on the market).

Once you have intake and exhaust settled, you can look into supporting mods, like suspension and chassis. And later on down the road, heads and cam, possibly forged.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Regarding your gear selection, u have a M6 correct? Then you already have 3.42s, and IMO I would not go any smaller, nor do I think 3.73s would give you that much of a noticeable difference... I would at least, at least go 4.10s, and in 6th gear it'll still be able to pull up a steep hill at 60-65mph easy!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Got any places to investigate the Bassani True Dual kit? Price wise, that is.

More often then not I've found it was just cheaper to buy mufflers and pipe/hangers and welding it mine self.

I've got and M6, by the by.

I intend to get stainless/chrome headers. I was told they do a much better job at keeping heat out of the engine bay.

And I'd prefer the shiny and nice look vs heat wrapping them.

Thanks, gents!
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Bassani kit is done by vinci high perfromance (sponsor on this board) and they are top notch full length system.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WiseAssJester
Got any places to investigate the Bassani True Dual kit? Price wise, that is.

Thanks, gents!
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...s1exhaust.html
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're set on modding the car and not paying it off, I would start w/ the basics. First don't do that intake if you're going turbo, because it'll be useless then. Get a lid for under a 100 bucks and be done with it. I would go with subframe connectors, a good torque arm, LCAs, adj. panhard bar, headers, and true duals. Put the rest towards paying off the car. You'll need a clutch at some point, then a rear end when modding gets serious. With a tune you should be looking at about 330 rwhp, and have all the suspension components in place to take tons of abuse.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly, if your going turbo and forged shortblock thats why you shouldnt do more than bolt ons and a 100-150 shot. Beef up your suspension (LCA's, Panhard rod, subframes), get coated pacsetters/ory/cutout, tuning software, lid,and a 100-150 shot. Spray the **** out of the stock engine and when it lets go you should be ready for the turbo build up.