New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to beef up the corvette drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question How to beef up the corvette drivetrain?

What are you guys who have big hp #s in corvettes doing to your drivetrain to support the big motors? IE torque tube, suspension, trans , and any other thing needing to be upgraded.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

!stock rear suspension + GM 12 bolt or ford/ Moser 9" rear.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
!stock rear suspension + GM 12 bolt or ford/ Moser 9" rear.
Just out of curiousity, how would you do that with the Vette IRS, for the OP how much power you talking. There are ways. Jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 06:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You haven't seen where people are running a 12 bolt in the rear on a vette? I think that it has coil springs and all.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You haven't seen where people are running a 12 bolt in the rear on a vette? I think that it has coil springs and all.
I've seen back halfed cars, but the stock suspension(IRS) is gone. Lots of guys running 9's and a few running 8's on the stock ableit fortified parts. By the way all C5's use transverse leaf springs from the factory. Jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mitzelj
Just out of curiousity, how would you do that with the Vette IRS, for the OP how much power you talking. There are ways. Jeff
Somewhere in the 700rwhp range. I was just curious. I have an fbody now with ~540rwhp that Im am getting rid of so I was curious what needs to be done to the vettes vs the fbodys. It will have impact on my next car purchase. I think I heard somewhere that the ujoints in the torque tube on the corvettes are a weak link. Can anybody verify this?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
Somewhere in the 700rwhp range. I was just curious. I have an fbody now with ~540rwhp that Im am getting rid of so I was curious what needs to be done to the vettes vs the fbodys. It will have impact on my next car purchase. I think I heard somewhere that the ujoints in the torque tube on the corvettes are a weak link. Can anybody verify this?
There are no U-joints per se in the TT, just rubber bushings, earlier cars and A4's have a smaller driveshaft, you can replace one with aluminum. I'd get ahold of Rodney @ RPM Transmissions or Phil @ FLP for trans work and Phil @ Dynotech for the diff. They can answer your questions. The diff is the weak point and wheel hop snaps em' right off the trans. Almost all cars at your intended power level run autos. You can also check the FI forum on Corvette Forum. Regards, Jeff
Old 01-21-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mitzelj
There are no U-joints per se in the TT, just rubber bushings, earlier cars and A4's have a smaller driveshaft, you can replace one with aluminum. I'd get ahold of Rodney @ RPM Transmissions or Phil @ FLP for trans work and Phil @ Dynotech for the diff. They can answer your questions. The diff is the weak point and wheel hop snaps em' right off the trans. Almost all cars at your intended power level run autos. You can also check the FI forum on Corvette Forum. Regards, Jeff
Thanks for the info Jeff. Thats the first real info Ive got on thses.
-Steve
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Your welcome, on the TT issue, what I should have written is that you can replace one coupler with aluminum, also LG makes a carbon fiber shaft. Good luck. Jeff
Old 01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, Dynotech Engineering rear differential. I have one in my C6.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Someone does make bigger 300M alloy halfshafts for them, right??
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Someone does make bigger 300M alloy halfshafts for them, right??
Not bigger and not the halfshafts, the make better ouput shafts out of 300M and they are slightly larger in some dimensions. The halfshafts and CV joints seem to rarely cause issues. Lots of broken left side output shafts with 6spds and sticky tires, the right side shafts rarely break. Jeff