Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Acceleration

Before I burn up my Z rated tires in experimenting, I thought I would be ahead to ask a question. Is there any way to gain faster initial acceleration other than to go immediately to WOT from a stop? That would be in a 2002 Camaro B4C with a stock A4, street tires, lid, and catback. I'm thinking maybe a bit more gradual acceleration than simply stomping the pedal might be more effective. Surely this has been tried before and found either to work or not work.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

if traction is a issue ease in to the throttle at first or get a stall and sticky tires that will speed the acceleration up a good bit i go half throttle until im about 3500 in first the kick it to the floor
Old 02-18-2007, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z-rated tires suck for traction off the line.

If you want to launch more smoothly the roll onto your pedal from a stop dont just kick it to the floor.

But if you set your car up with the right parts to plant its butt hard on the launch, then kicking the gas pedal would be just fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

if traction is a issue ease in to the throttle at first. i go half throttle until im about 3500 in first the kick it to the floor
Z-rated tires suck for traction off the line. If you want to launch more smoothly the roll onto your pedal from a stop dont just kick it to the floor.

That sounds like good advice. Combining the two, roll into the pedal to half throttle, then at 3500 RPM in first go WOT. Everything I read about drag racing at the track seemed to suggest that everyone stomps the pedal to the metal when the light changes regardless of what kind of tires and mods they have. That did not seem right.

The mods I already installed will probably be all, at least for a while, and the Z tires are important to me for high speed highway driving. It looks like now I can try a specific technique to get the best performance off the line from what I have.

Thanks a lot, guys.
Bill in Texas
Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

are you doing a small burnout first?only spin the tires enough to clean them off.if you get street tires to hot they spin worse.z rated tires are for handling the sidewall is too stiff to get a really good launch.this sounds stupid but practice your launch on a wet surface
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

if u dont wanna burn out, dont give it full throttle, or get better tires, as for it not burning out and just getting on it, dont be afraid to give it full gas,the computer wont flood the engine, it just wont happen. maybe a tad rich, but not like it could back in the carb days. practicing launching on a wet surface is a great idea!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Roger that, two votes for practicing on a wet surface. I'll have to try that. A burn out is not an option, since any racing I do off the line will much more likely be at a traffic light than at a track.

Thanks,
Bill in Texas
Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b4c2002camaro
Before I burn up my Z rated tires in experimenting, I thought I would be ahead to ask a question. Is there any way to gain faster initial acceleration other than to go immediately to WOT from a stop? That would be in a 2002 Camaro B4C with a stock A4, street tires, lid, and catback. I'm thinking maybe a bit more gradual acceleration than simply stomping the pedal might be more effective. Surely this has been tried before and found either to work or not work.
Not wanting to sound like a dick, but yeah there's a recognised technique, it's called - driving!

Fast accelaration out of the hole is about putting as much power down as possible as soon as possible.

Tyre make, tread, temp, compound and wear will affect this. As will the surface and the outside temps.

If you can go WOT without spinning the wheels then great, it's a grippy surface. This means you can try and increase the launch rpm by holding it on the foot brake.

Being smooth with the controls is the key to any good form of driving.

Better tyres, such as DR's will help traction off the line and when used with a high stall torque conveter like a 3500rpm stall can make for explosive off the line launches.

Remember that different surfaces have different levels of grip and thus no one single technique will give you the best results all of the time.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Not wanting to sound like a dick, but yeah there's a recognised technique, it's called - driving!
Being a flight instructor, a lot of the aeronautical knowledge and flying ability transfers to driving.

In flight instruction, there are procedures and techniques. Procedures are set in stone. Techniques vary. A technique is a way used by a pilot to accomplish a procedure.

In this case the procedure would be "Apply maximum throttle just short of the point where the tires would break free until gaining a ground speed at which full trottle may be applied without breaking traction".

A technique to accomplish that would be "Roll into the pedal to half throttle, then at 3500 RPM in first go WOT."

Student pilots are taught techniques by their instructor. After becoming a licensed pilot, they may modify their techniques based on personal experience and input from other pilots and instructors. Techniques also vary based on equipment used and existing conditions.

I guess my original question should have been: "Based on a 2002 Camaro B4C with a stock A4, Z rated street tires, lid, and catback, what is a recommended techinque to achieve maximum initial acceleration off the line?"

This assumes we all know the procedure of ""Apply maximum throttle just short of the point where the tires would break free until gaining a ground speed at which full trottle may be applied without breaking traction".

Hey!! That WAS my original question. A question which, BTW, you did not answer. Thanks anyway, your info was all good - especially your last line.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock stall's at 1750 so brake stall it up to there then let it catch up to speed for a sec then stab back off stab, then punch once you're in high rpms
Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
The stock stall's at 1750 so brake stall it up to there then let it catch up to speed for a sec then stab back off stab, then punch once you're in high rpms
Now that sounds like the exact kind of information I was looking for! (Leave it to a Texan.) I'm still learning the terminology, so let me rephrase that to be sure I understand it. I just bought my Camaro a month ago and discovered LS1Tech after that. A month ago I had no idea what a lid and catback were.

So, is that the same as:
Hold the brake, apply throttle to 1750 RPM steady, release brake and hesitate (probably for less than a full second), stab pedal to half throttle, let up on pedal very briefly, stab pedal to half throttle again, at about 3500 RPM, stab pedal to the floor.

Corrections or refinements would be welcome.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

On second thought, I think you mean:

Hold the brake, apply throttle to 1750 RPM steady, let the A4 catch up to the LS1, release brake and stab pedal to half throttle, let up on pedal very briefly, stab pedal to half throttle again, at about 3500 RPM, punch pedal to the floor.

Corrections or refinements would be welcome.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

dude practice!!!! for real

i dont have an A4 but all it takes is practice, u dont gotta worry bout missin a gear like us M6 guys, get the launch down and hold the hell on. why not get some NITTOs DR those good for some high speed driving and are the ultimate street racing tire IMO
Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Practice launching on wet surfaces? Are you crazy? lol...go to the track and get some seat time, that's the best way. You can try and dial it in on the street, but the track is always a bit different, usually for the better
Old 02-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
dude practice!!!! for real

i dont have an A4 but all it takes is practice, u dont gotta worry bout missin a gear like us M6 guys, get the launch down and hold the hell on. why not get some NITTOs DR those good for some high speed driving and are the ultimate street racing tire IMO
Of course practice. But as I said at first, I prefer not to burn up my Z rated tires unnecessarily. My flying and instructing experience tells me that the best way to practice is to first learn one or more recommended techniques, then practice those. After becoming proficient with recommended techniques, then I can experiment intelligently with modifying the techniques. That just gives me a head start on the learning curve (and saves expensive tires). There is a wealth of experience to be tapped on LS1Tech. I am happy to learn from others who have more experience and are willing to share.

Do the NITTO DRs have a speed rating? My interest is safe high speed highway driving first and street racing second.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'm sure that the Nitto DR's will hold up fine to any high speed driving you plan to do. Just don't try it in the rain!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

yeah the nitto's= ultimate DRY traction(for the street)
keep ur Z rated tires if u drive in the rain alot.

try what some of the other guys said, once u start modding ull be alot faster than a M6 w/ similar mods.

A4 are more consistant(sp) in the 1/4, M6 are more fun, and got an edge on a rolling start.

the nitto's have the rating under Z, i dont remember the letter, its been a while since i had them
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
yeah the nitto's= ultimate DRY traction(for the street)
keep ur Z rated tires if u drive in the rain alot.

try what some of the other guys said, once u start modding ull be alot faster than a M6 w/ similar mods.

A4 are more consistant(sp) in the 1/4, M6 are more fun, and got an edge on a rolling start.

the nitto's have the rating under Z, i dont remember the letter, its been a while since i had them
I guess I had better pass on the Nittos since I have to drive 32 miles one way to work in all kinds of weather. I have a 1974 VW Thing on military tires that is worthless on hard pavement in the rain, so I know the feeling.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Default crazy

Originally Posted by ZFan88
Practice launching on wet surfaces? Are you crazy? lol...go to the track and get some seat time, that's the best way. You can try and dial it in on the street, but the track is always a bit different, usually for the better
if you would read all the thread you would know that he is wanting a better launch on the street,launching at the track is nothing like the street.