New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie questions. Maintainance & muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do you get your vehicle serviced?

Hi, I have a '00 SS with 56k miles on it. I just had the oil change done a while ago. What else should i do that needs to be done? About how much do these services cost?

Also, can anyone tell me how loud a magnaflow muffler is? How is it compared to a flowmaster muffler? is it about as loud as the 40 series? The only mod my car has is a SLP catback.

Also, do cutouts reduce mpg?

Where do you guys go to get your vehicle serviced(if you can't do it yourself)?

Last edited by jason1384; 03-13-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Flowmasters are not good mufflers, they rob hp.

Magnaflow's sound good, but whats really gonna make your car sound different is long tube headers, and off road y pipe(no cats).

If you have a chance, change out fuel filter, and change rear differential fluid out. Also new plugs and wires wouldnt hurt either!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

yea, I am going to get MSD wires and some new plugs. After listening to the cutouts on an LS1 camaro, i think i may go with cutouts if they dont rob my mpg which i dont THINK they do but im not sure. Anyone have links to what an LS1 with no headers or cam sounds like with a cutout?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i finally put my lt's and ory on with a 3'' cutout..and i love the sound it makes....and yea...no go on the flowmasters..
Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

the slp catback you have is a good catback and flows really well. if i had your exhaust the only thing i would do is put long tubes and off road y pipe on it. flowmasters are terrible and cutouts will only make more noise.

on the maintainance, if the car is an automatic i'd have your trans flushed and the filter replaced. also get new fuel filter, pcv valve, synthetic rear diff fluid, synthetic motor oil, air filter, anti freeze, brakes (including fluid), and seafoam the engine. i'm sure i'm missing some stuff but that's quite a few of the basics.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

I just installed my MagnaFlow Cat-Back 3 days ago and coundn't be more happier. I love the sound and can feel a difference over stock. The Slp Cat-Back is a good one as far as HP goes, I just don't like the sound. I had a cutout on my Lt1 and only used it at the track, I think it sounded like crap when it was open. Not to sure about MPG but I wouldn't drive around with it open the sound and vibration are really annoying.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

yea, i probably wont get flowmaster. I should mention that I have the SLP dual duals which is pretty quiet. Where do you guys recommend going to get my vehicle serviced? I had been going to jiffy lube...but yea, that was BEFORE i saw the vids.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

just get long tube headers, i suggest Hooker SuperComps and get an ORY. Keep your SLP catback.

...then come back and tell us its quiet

Quick Reply: newbie questions. Maintainance & muffler.