Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust purchase question

the plan is, im gonna buy some hooker LT's and a catted-y when i get back home, but i wanna make sure that im buyin the right stuff. for instance, when i buy the headers, do they come with everything needed to install them? or do i need to buy misc parts - such as gaskets, etc.? or is all that dependant upon the company i buy from? same deal with the catted-y - any other misc parts im gonna have to buy when i grab an aftermarket y-pipe?

i was lookin at a specific website sellin the hooker LT's an they specifically stated that the O2 extensions come with them. so thats wut peaked my interest in wonderin wut else wuld i need to get.

also, while i may have a thread started here, will the stock z28 mufflers connect right up to the y-pipe, or will i have to go with somethin else? i really like the stock tips, so thats why i wanna keep 'em.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 AM
Teching In

I just bought coated Pacesetter Lt's and a catted-y from TSP Texas Speed and Performance. I also put on a Magnaflow catback at the same time. You should do a cat-back while your at it.

Pacesetter's came with everything u need for the install. TSP custom makes the Y with Magnaflow cats, great quality. The Y-pipe came with all the hardware also. U will have to buy two 02 extensions for the front 02's or buy new vette 02 sensors which have the longer wires.

While your in there go ahead and replace the spark plugs. Most people use NGK TR-55's on a bolt-on F-body and I used the same.

I think the TSP Y-pipe will bolt right up to the Hookers also. The Pacesetters fit great and I didnt have to remove the starter or even the coil packs.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 AM
Teching In

Almost forgot U should probably buy new GM Header gaskets. The Pacesetter gaskets are cheap paper while the GM have a metal pressure seal. I forgot to buy the GM gaskets and did the install at night so I didnt use them. I havent had problems with the paper ones yet though.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
the plan is, im gonna buy some hooker LT's and a catted-y when i get back home, but i wanna make sure that im buyin the right stuff. for instance, when i buy the headers, do they come with everything needed to install them? or do i need to buy misc parts - such as gaskets, etc.? or is all that dependant upon the company i buy from? same deal with the catted-y - any other misc parts im gonna have to buy when i grab an aftermarket y-pipe?

i was lookin at a specific website sellin the hooker LT's an they specifically stated that the O2 extensions come with them. so thats wut peaked my interest in wonderin wut else wuld i need to get.

also, while i may have a thread started here, will the stock z28 mufflers connect right up to the y-pipe, or will i have to go with somethin else? i really like the stock tips, so thats why i wanna keep 'em.
Some header kits come with items and some don't but,most of the time the gaskets,header bolts...etc that come with header sets are not the best stuff.

Catted or non-catted Y pipes seems to always be a hit or miss subject.Some people choose to buy a set of nice high performance cats and have a good exhaust shop fabricate a Y pipe,some have gone with Texas Speed Y pipes and some say to stick with whatever brand of Y pipe that matches the headers you are buying (as in Hooker headers-Hooker Y pipe.).

O2 extensions are sometimes not needed as I believe some people use O2 sensors that are meant for an LS1 corvette.These tend to have longer wiring and eliminate the need for O2 extensions.Our stock O2 sensors are too short to reach when usinf long tube headers.Plus the corvette O2s I believe heat up quicker which can help the issue of LTs not allowing the stock O2s to heat up as well.

I believe your stock exhaust should bolt right up to your new Y pipe.But since your stock catback isn't exactly the highest flowing catback out there,I would also install a cutout...That way when you want more performance and sound,you uncap and when you want to go back to an almost stock sound you just cap it back up.Again a good exhaust shop should be able to put one in for about $60 give or take few...

I would buy:

Long tube headers ceramic coated (your choice in brand,Hooker,Pacesetter...etc).

O2 extensions

Locking headers bolts

GM header/manifold gaskets (might even be able to re-use your stock ones depending on condition).

Brand matching Y-pipe (may need to take to shop to have it tweaked if it bangs...unless you can tweak it yourself).

I would get a cutout installed (preferably an electric cutout so you don't have to climb under when you want to open/close it.).

I have used LS1 Speed and liked thier prices and choices...Check them and others out to your right -->

Hope this helps and good luck with your choices and read,read,read!!...

*EDIT* Pretty much everything dmelton said!!LOL!

Damn your quick buddy..
Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the quick help...lots of helpful info in their that i didnt consider!

for some reason, i had a hard time picturing just how the y-pipe connected the headers to the catback system, but after a few more minutes of lookin at the pics, it makes sense now

as far as the catback is concerned - im gonna go with a new system, but i really wanna keep the stock tips. it shuldnt be a problem to take my tips off righ tnow an put them on the aftermarket catback system, correct?

for the O2 extensions - i shuld just buy the ls1 corvette extensions, since they're better at heating up with the LT's? if thats the case, then ill add that in to the overall cost.

i remember reading in jrp's guide that the aftermarket header bolts arent really needed, but u said u'd suggest gettin some? why wuldnt the stock ones hold up?

and what benefits do the aftermarket spark plugs give?

thanks for the help so far!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember reading in jrp's guide that the aftermarket header bolts arent really needed, but u said u'd suggest gettin some? why wuldnt the stock ones hold up?
oh they will hold up as in durability but,I wouldn't want to have to go in there regularly checking the torque on the header bolts..Not saying this will happen as many people have had no problems using non-locking bolts.I would just want to go the extra step and get the extra security that they provide.

I use to have a Mustang that I installed a set of headers on and it went very easy but,I did have to keep tightening the header bolts every oil change or so.It wasn't a biggie but,then again reaching the header bolts on a Fox Mustang was WAY easier than reaching the header bolts on a cramped LS1 IMO..I then put locking bolts on it and never had to do it again.

So,it is not necessary,but I would do the locking header bolts.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

i see wut ur sayin, so i may as well grab a set of those bolts since im in that area anyways.

thanks for all the helpful info fellas!

just one thing tho - wut do the upgraded spark plugs do for me? i've searched an i get about 10 full pages of threads
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Teching In

i see wut ur sayin, so i may as well grab a set of those bolts since im in that area anyways.

thanks for all the helpful info fellas!

just one thing tho - wut do the upgraded spark plugs do for me? i've searched an i get about 10 full pages of threads
The TR-55's are a different heat range than the stock ones. This should help with pinging during the summer or if you live in a warm climate. It's also good just to replace the plugs anyway if you have some miles on the car.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Corvette extensions are the whole 02 sensor pn# bosh 13111 ( Corvette rear 02 sensors ) and have a longer reach for longtube headers . The extensions are cheaper though using your original 02 sensors , but with the added price you get new 02's , your call on that one.
Dont worry about the rear 02's or extensions just tie up the old connectors out of the way and have your car tuned / codes turned off .

Another option is getting your car tuned in speed density where your able to delete the MAF/ 02's all together .

1 thing I'd recommend is replacing your engine mounts with Prothane polyurethane ones . It will help with any engine movement in the future if you do a cam swap . Also helps the exhaust from banging the floorboard causing the knock sensors to pickup false knock and retarding the timing losing performance. While your there get the Prothane transmisson mount also so they wear together .

When I changed mine with 75,000 miles the factory engine mounts were busted ,but there in a clamshell so I was unable to notice them until I took them out to upgrade .
Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

So if you are getting the rear 02's code off by tuning it anyways. how many o2 sensor do you need? just 1 then right?.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just the fronts
Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

good info

You call speed density tuning out above, just to confirm,
a dyno + HPtuners + smart tuner = speed density tune?

If that means you don't need 02's would it matter if one
of the front 02's was bad? seems pointless to replace a new part in there if it would be getting tuned out!