New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Lid Really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a quality difference that is for sure. My lid cracked. If I would do it over I would go with an SLP. My brother has one of those clear lids though and it seems to be doing alright.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new injection molded lid is supposed to be the same price as SLP's old lid.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Whoever said Whisper fits like **** must not have installed very many of them
That would be me.
Don't forget look like **** too.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I thought I read somewhere that SLP was coming out with a new injection molded lid. All of the other lids on the market are vacuum formed and that's why the fit is so bad. Has anyone else heard about this new lid?
Its been around for years, its called the blackwing lid. it was standard on all Firehawks and an option for SLP cars.
The other lids fit like crap compared to it
I've had a Whisper,MTI, and a blackwing. I like the blackwing the best but the MTI was pretty nice too. Whisper was flimsy junk, I only bought it because it said LS1 on it
Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not the lid I'm talking about. I read a thread about 2 months ago that said SLP was doing away with their vacuum formed lid and replacing it with a new injection molded one. The lid you are refering to is like $225 because there is a transition piece you need to buy also.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Tudds
Its been around for years, its called the blackwing lid. it was standard on all Firehawks and an option for SLP cars.
The other lids fit like crap compared to it
No question that the Blackwing lid is by far the best "aftermarket" lid on the market. The quality makes them all look like crap in comparasion. Unfortunetly though, you can't buy those new anymore, so the only hope right now is to find one used.

If they (SLP, Blackwing, or whoever) starts to make these lids again, and get the price down a bit from where the original price was at for the first Blackwings, they would sell very well I'm sure. It would be the best lid on the market.

Originally Posted by Tudds
I've had a Whisper,MTI, and a blackwing. I like the blackwing the best but the MTI was pretty nice too. Whisper was flimsy junk, I only bought it because it said LS1 on it
MTI and Whisper (non-clear, non-CF) are made from the same material, and are nearly identicle in quality in my experiance, other than the rubber seal that Whisper provides on their newer lids.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Slp box has Best quality IMO.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Any lid will perform about the same as SLP. No real difference other than appearance.

And yes, they all add about ~10rwhp. That should be anyone's first mod. It's easy, has no downsides, and the price isn't bad at all.
Exactly. GM High Tech did a big lid shootout a year or two ago and yes, essentially all of the lids they tested (about 8-10? if I remember correctly) all performed the same, delivering about 9-10 RWHP.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

No question that the Blackwing lid is by far the best "aftermarket" lid on the market. The quality makes them all look like crap in comparasion. Unfortunetly though, you can't buy those new anymore, so the only hope right now is to find one used.

If they (SLP, Blackwing, or whoever) starts to make these lids again, and get the price down a bit from where the original price was at for the first Blackwings, they would sell very well I'm sure. It would be the best lid on the market.

MTI and Whisper (non-clear, non-CF) are made from the same material, and are nearly identicle in quality in my experiance, other than the rubber seal that Whisper provides on their newer lids.
I had the clear MTI lid, yeah the blackwing was expensive. SLP blew them out at 98 bucks for the last few. I got one on ebay with the filter for 70 bucks though
Old 05-19-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kage
That would be me.
Don't forget look like **** too.