Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of A4's

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
And 12.3 is still better then 12.7
You act like this has something to do with Auto vs. Manual. You are forgetting traction playes a varible. I only took that thing to the track twice and spun the tires each time, and thats because i was goaded into it by my friends with their mustangs and z06's etc. I hear what youre saying and I apreciate it but I am not limited to the stall I select in my converter, I make my own stall, gimmie some slicks and I can launch at 1,500 rpms one pass and 6500 on the next without swaping converters. Hence the advent of the lenco transmission, best of both worlds. HAD i bought a street car to turn into a drag car I would of went auto hands down, my z28 is my street car and it is a muscle car (well, now a days anyway) and growing up it was instilled into my head that preformance cars were mostly found with manuals because the driver has greater control of the vehical and its just, more fun, I want to control the up shifts and down shifts when in am crusing windy roads on a sunday, making noise and pissing off the residents on the lake i drive by. Not be controled by the valve body. Im not looking to squeek a nano second out of a 60' time, that car may never see the track again. So for me personaly, it simply comes down to a matter of personal preference. Drag racing advantages are clearly in the Auto's favor, but then I got to drive that slug home and it would still be an auto. My firm belief still remains, I love driving my manual, i love racing my auto. I say a preformance vehical is synonomous with manual control of the transmission, there is no right or wrong to an opinion and I respect everyones vehical on this site, so if you are going to sit behind your computer and take personal offence because a member on a board who you will never meet cant understand why someone would preffer the design of the transmission in your car, then i dunno... Increase the peace.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

I think most people really decide on whether to get an auto or manual based on personal preference isntead of pro's and con's of each. I got my Firebird because I have fun driving it and for my preference driving a auto wouldn't suit me so I will never buy an A4 F-body but for others they get annoyed by manuals so to each his own. Just don't get one or the other because someone tells you it is better then look back afterwards and regret your decision.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alamantia
You act like this has something to do with Auto vs. Manual. You are forgetting traction playes a varible. I only took that thing to the track twice and spun the tires each time, and thats because i was goaded into it by my friends with their mustangs and z06's etc. I hear what youre saying and I apreciate it but I am not limited to the stall I select in my converter, I make my own stall, gimmie some slicks and I can launch at 1,500 rpms one pass and 6500 on the next without swaping converters. Hence the advent of the lenco transmission, best of both worlds.
The converter is more then just a stall speed. STR plays a big roll in the 60' and is why my car can hit 1.6's with modest rwhp. TH400's with T-brakes and RMVB is my idea of the best of both worlds. You get all the advantages of a torque converter and get to shift yourself.

And I wouldn't recommend a 6500 clutch dump with slicks. The 10 bolt wouldn't take that kind of preasure. Another advantage of autos at the track since we can preload the drivetrain.

HAD i bought a street car to turn into a drag car I would of went auto hands down, my z28 is my street car and it is a muscle car (well, now a days anyway) and growing up it was instilled into my head that preformance cars were mostly found with manuals because the driver has greater control of the vehical and its just, more fun, I want to control the up shifts and down shifts when in am crusing windy roads on a sunday, making noise and pissing off the residents on the lake i drive by.
Holy run-on sentence batman! That's all well and fine. Nothing wrong with enjoying a manual transmission.

My firm belief still remains, I love driving my manual, i love racing my auto. I say a preformance vehical is synonomous with manual control of the transmission, there is no right or wrong to an opinion and I respect everyones vehical on this site, so if you are going to sit behind your computer and take personal offence because a member on a board who you will never meet cant understand why someone would preffer the design of the transmission in your car, then i dunno... Increase the peace.
Performance is based on the numbers you can achieve regardless of transmission. Now lets see, what was it you have said about autos in this thread?

Cons: Who wants an Auto Muscle car?
Sounds like you're the one who can't understand why anyone could prefer a transmission type other then the one you have.

i find it god dam depressing seeing a nice classic muscle car like a 1970 chevelle and seeing an auto in it.
Sounds like you take it personally when others go a route different then you. I mean to get you depressed and all.

its like the guy who owns it bought it for his wife.
Autos are for girls then, check. Clearly you believe in to each his own.

Autos in a classic car erk me
So they depress you and erk you. Yes you definately believe in the idea of to each his own........ as long as they agree with you.

I wouldt want a manual in a muscle car unless I was plannin on having my girlfriend drive the thing which she will not.
Another auto are for girls remark.

I would meerly not buy an Auto because its an fbody, had it been a mini van we were talking about, well then i would go for the Auto.
Now autos belong in mini vans and have no business in an fbody. The non bias in you is overwhelming.

but then I got to drive that slug home and it would still be an auto.
And autos are slugs too. Never mind that autos own all the major ET records at the track including fastest bolt on and worlds fastest lsx based fbody.

Surely you can figure out why someone might take offense to you calling thier cars slugs that are for girls, transmissions that belong in mini vans and a major cause of depression.

Not to mention the erking effect

Last edited by darrensls1; 12-15-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I always hear the who would drive an auto sports car comment. I think its funny then I take people out in my stalled/built A4 and they go damn now I understand!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

The converter is more then just a stall speed. STR plays a big roll in the 60' and is why my car can hit 1.6's with modest rwhp. TH400's with T-brakes and RMVB is my idea of the best of both worlds. You get all the advantages of a torque converter and get to shift yourself.

And I wouldn't recommend a 6500 clutch dump with slicks. The 10 bolt wouldn't take that kind of preasure. Another advantage of autos at the track since we can preload the drivetrain.

Holy run-on sentence batman! That's all well and fine. Nothing wrong with enjoying a manual transmission.

Performance is based on the numbers you can achieve regardless of transmission. Now lets see, what was it you have said about autos in this thread?

Sounds like you're the one who can't understand why anyone could prefer a transmission type other then the one you have.

Sounds like you take it personally when others go a route different then you. I mean to get you depressed and all.

So they depress you and erk you. Yes you definately believe in the idea of to each his own........ as long as they agree with you.

Now autos belong in mini vans and have no business in an fbody. The non bias in you is overwhelming.

And autos are slugs too. Never mind that autos own all the major ET records at the track including fastest bolt on and worlds fastest lsx based fbody.

Surely you can figure out why someone might take offense to you calling thier cars slugs that are for girls, transmissions that belong in mini vans and a major cause of depression.

Were you on the debate team in High School or something?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

Were you on the debate team in High School or something?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

darrensls1 = 14

alamantia = 0
Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,265 Posts

by darrensls1

Nothing more to be said.