New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Ram Air actually up your HP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to ask a question to a question, but why is your name blue?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
He's a moderator at SSU.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go, read up

http://www.ws6.com/ramtest.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

The question was this, is ram air type setup on a WS6 LT1 better than a CAI, and here are the reasons why the LT1 WS6 style box IS better. IMO of course.

Short SRAIGHT shot to the throttlebody on a WS6 box VS longer CAI that 1/2 of it is near the radiator and has 2 90* bends in it.

The filter is 18 inches off the hot pavement on a CAI VS on TOP of the front of a pressure area on the hood on a WS6 box.

I was told by some smart guy in the other thread that ram air was a complete hoax...I beg to differ. The above links prove otherwise.

Sportbike tuners richen the tune in the top rpm ranges FOR the affects of ram air.

Forward facing hood scoops that are sealed to a carb tray need a rejet after they switched to that type of hood...seen that happen. On a car trapping only 125mph.

I am firmly convinced the LT1 WS6 style hood and box on my car WORK, it is sealed to the hood with the baffles cut out.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Here ya go, read up

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9910_ram/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/index.html

The question was this, is ram air type setup on a WS6 LT1 better than a CAI, and here are the reasons why the LT1 WS6 style box IS better. IMO of course.

Short SRAIGHT shot to the throttlebody on a WS6 box VS longer CAI that 1/3 of it is near the radiator and has 2 90* bends in it.

The filter is 18 inches off the hot pavement on a CAI VS on TOP of the front of a pressure area on the hood on a WS6 box.

I was told by some smart guy in the other thread that ram air was a complete hoax...I beg to differ. The above links prove otherwise.

Sportbike tuners richen the tune in the top rpm ranges FOR the affects of ram air.

Forward facing hood scoops that are sealed to a carb tray need a rejet after they switched to that type of hood...seen that happen. On a car trapping only 125mph.

I am firmly convinced the LT1 WS6 style hood and box on my car WORK, it is sealed to the hood with the baffles cut out.

David
No, you were told by another member that ram air is useless on a street car.

With my FIPK and the splashguard cut out under my filter my IATs are much much lower then the stock airbox garbage, and removing the elbow on the dyno completely from the TB gave me 2.4rwhp over the full cai. I was impressed how close full CAI was to open TB. Does not consider any supposed ram air benefits, but c'mon...be serious...Mild cube LT1s just don't breathe nearly enough for a good cai to be a restriction, so the whole "straight shot" thing is a moot point as well.

The biggest benefit from the ram air setup at the track is the cooler air, not any ram air crap. Even that can be almost evened out but cutting out the splashguard so the filter is exposed to ambient air.

For the people who replied to this thread, thank you all for your input
Old 12-28-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Puck
No, you were told by another member that ram air is useless on a street car.

With my FIPK and the splashguard cut out under my filter my IATs are much much lower then the stock airbox garbage, and removing the elbow on the dyno completely from the TB gave me 2.4rwhp over the full cai. I was impressed how close full CAI was to open TB. Does not consider any supposed ram air benefits, but c'mon...be serious...Mild cube LT1s just don't breathe nearly enough for a good cai to be a restriction, so the whole "straight shot" thing is a moot point as well.

The biggest benefit from the ram air setup at the track is the cooler air, not any ram air crap. Even that can be almost evened out but cutting out the splashguard so the filter is exposed to ambient air.

For the people who replied to this thread, thank you all for your input
QUOTED FROM BURNZILLA IN THE OTHER POST:

Ram air is a hoax.

So what other BS you got?

David
Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTED FROM BURNZILLA IN THE OTHER POST:

Ram air is a hoax.

So what other BS you got?

David

Now that I think about it, its more like an illusion
Its 99.8% bullshit...but not a hoax...I guess youre right FastyFat
I betcha you can feel the power building as your mighty scoops suck in that fresh cold air to help power you car .03 faster in the 1/4.
I got better results when I switched to Mobil 1

Last edited by burnzilla; 12-28-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always looked at ram air as more of a sales gimmick and appearance mod than an actual performance mod.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Here is some more reading on non existant ram air

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=gulp

David
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
Im a superhero.

more reading on non existant ram air

And its "existent".
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

it's just a well known fact Ram Air is more for looks then anything else. anyone who believes you get some big gains is not all there. it's funny the people who ask what car you got, and you tell them just a t/a and they say "oh that sucks, you shoulda got the WS6..it has alot more horse!!"
Old 12-28-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Has anyone ever done an IAT comparison test between a Ram Air fbody (WS6) and a base trim package fbody (Formula)?

I don't see how it could be called a "true CAI" if there is no difference
in IAT's.
Not on a Firebird, but on a SS http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

I want to say I've read people do some IAT tests but I can't find them. I can't get the search to work again but I believe whoever invented the Jaam kit or whatever it's called had some IAT info.

I would imagine the SS vs WS6 hood would be the same in IATs with the air box sealed to the hood. The WS6 might allow for cooler IATs especially in stop and go traffic since it doesn't have any ductwork over the engine.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

So you raise hell about ram air being a "HOAX", flat out say it is bullshit.....and make a post to ask everyone on the board to see if it works???

Man O Man.......LMFAO.

I know MY IAT's are lower than a CAI, that means cooler air which mean more power.

If you REALLY think a 3 foot long CAI laying against a 200 degree radiator with 2 90* bends, 18 inches from the hot pavement, enclosed in the fender. makes MORE power than a straight shot of 12 inches from a high pressure area OUTSIDE the car....I TRULY can not help you.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-28-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

It would be interesting for someone with a g-tech or whatever it's called and an aftermarket hood to get together with someone with a stock hood and do a few runs each way and see how much the averages vary by, or even cars at the track to swap hoods and see if they can tell anything. I don't imagine it's much for any street car in the 1/4 though. Like I said before, maybe a little for lower IAT.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Im a superhero.
Yeah, his name color matches his tites
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

ok. here's a simple analogy for it. when your in the passanger seat and you have your hand out the window catching the air, does it move up and down better at 5MPH, or 50MPH?... Ram Air does next to nothing in the power band that you really need it at, such as 5mph with a hand. but when your at 100 then there's your 50MPH glide out the window.... tried to make it simple to understand.

Sorry for the spellings, and run-ons.

Last edited by 1meantransam; 12-28-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
ok. here's a simple analogy for it. when your in the passanger seat and you have your hand out the window catching the air, does it move up and down better at 5MPH, or 50MPH?... Ram Air does next to nothing in the power band that you really need it at, such as 5mph with a hand. but when your at 100 then there's your 50MPH glide out the window.... tried to make it simple to understand.

Sorry for the spellings, and run-ons.
A better analogy is hold a cup out the window and see how hard it is to keep in your hand.

The front of the car is PUSHING air in front of it, air is BACKED UP in front of the car, even at 50 mph.

AGAIN, read this CAREFULLY.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

So you raise hell about ram air being a "HOAX", flat out say it is bullshit.....and make a post to ask everyone on the board to see if it works???
I made this thread for you.
I already knew Ram Air was bullshit.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

A better analogy is hold a cup out the window and see how hard it is to keep in your hand.

The front of the car is PUSHING air in front of it, air is BACKED UP in front of the car, even at 50 mph.

AGAIN, read this CAREFULLY.

David
ok, better yet, poke a hole in the back and see how much air actually makes it out the back compared to how much is lost through the front of the tiny opening.. only so much air makes it in and the rest is lost, you don't think it sits in a waiting room do you?
Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Only reason why i bought my WS6 was because it looks 40 times better than a regular TA. The hood sold me on the look, not on its imaginary performance haha.

Quick Reply: Does Ram Air actually up your HP?