Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Ram Air actually up your HP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
ok...hmmmm.......ok i got it!!... your mouth = throttle body, go get a high pressure hose and try drinking the water fast enough that it doesn't start spraying backwards(back pressure). kind of hard? that's because your body (ECU) is only programmed to drink (intake) so much fluid (air) at the givin speed at throttle...
That actually got a chuckle out of me

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wrong, your ecm has a hotwire MAF and 02 sensors to tell it how much air is entering the engine and to give it enough fuel to match the incoming air, the ONLY limiting factors are the injectors and fuel pump capabilites for a given HP setup. Why do you think a stock car can run just fine in Denver and drive the same car to Miami? Way different hp in those altitudes and air ingestion capabilities.

In Denver with the ambient temp at 95* and Houston Tx at 35* do you REALLY think your car is taking in the same amount of air under WOT?
Mine doesn't. Sure, the maf reads the incoming air if you have one, but and NA engine seeing more air will not magically grow more cubes and raise its amount of air it can use at any given rpm.

The engine will ingest as much air as it can,Positive pressure in the intake tract makes it possible to get even MORE down its throat, the ecm is responsible for adding fuel....you are now touching in an engines VE capability.

AND AGAIN you describe EXACTLY what ram air is, keeping the plenum/filter box in positive pressure.

David
Again...I wouldn't say you are wrong per se, but just misunderstood Your engine is not an infinite capacity air pump - when NA it can and will only use a certain amount of air per rpm. Why do you think a bone stock LT1 engine will not gain hp using a 58mm AS&M monoblade over a 52mm LT1 style? An NA 350ci block can only use ~650cfms at 6.5k rpms - no matter how awesome your heads are or what intake you happen to use . Since the 52mm already flows that much, the bigger TB is USELESS.

Unless it is FI setup that is truely compressing air, the rest is NOT used.
Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Are you guys "discussing" that a Ram Air compresses more air into the motor over a CAI or simply which one yields lower IAT's? I think the gains get miscontrued when lower IAT's are obtained (more hp) and people classify that as a "raming" effect.

In a N/A state a motor is only going to pull as much air as it needs. There is no raming force like a FI car. Ever try sticking your head outside the window at 100mph and try to take a deep breath through you mouth? Your lungs didn't explode did they? Why? My $.02 -Mark

-Mark
Exactly my point!. See, even the FORD guy gets it!!!

(kidding :p)
Old 12-28-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Are you guys "discussing" that a Ram Air compresses more air into the motor over a CAI or simply which one yields lower IAT's? I think the gains get miscontrued when lower IAT's are obtained (more hp) and people classify that as a "raming" effect.

In a N/A state a motor is only going to pull as much air as it needs. There is no raming force like a FI car. Ever try sticking your head outside the window at 100mph and try to take a deep breath through you mouth? Your lungs didn't explode did they? Why? My $.02 -Mark

-Mark

BUT, was it easier to breath vs having a sock in your mouth and a close pin on your nose? You had positive pressure at the entry to your mouth which took LESS EFFORT for you to get max lung filling.

Its called positive pressure, with positive pressure in the box it is easier for the air to enter the chamber.

Did ANYONE read the links I provided?

David
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine doesn't. Sure, the maf reads the incoming air if you have one, but and NA engine seeing more air will not magically grow more cubes and raise its amount of air it can use at any given rpm.

SUUUUURE DOES, WHEN THE DENSITY ALTITUDE IS LOW, YOUR ENGINE DOES NOT INGEST MORE LBS OF AIR? HOW DOES IT MAKE MORE POWER IN LOWER DA?????????? IT TAKES IN MORE AIR!!!!! THE AIR IS DENSER IT GETS MORE FUEL TO GO WITH IT TO MAKE MORE POWER!!

Again...I wouldn't say you are wrong per se, but just misunderstood Your engine is not an infinite capacity air pump - when NA it can and will only use a certain amount of air per rpm. Why do you think a bone stock LT1 engine will not gain hp using a 58mm AS&M monoblade over a 52mm LT1 style? An NA 350ci block can only use ~650cfms at 6.5k rpms - no matter how awesome your heads are or what intake you happen to use . Since the 52mm already flows that much, the bigger TB is USELESS.

OK IF THIS IS THE CASE, WHY DOES A CAI, AIRFOIL, HEADERS, CATBACK MAKE THE CAR FASTER? IT ENABLES IT TO PASS MORE AIR, IF YOU SPIN THE ENGINE MORE RPMS, DOES IT TAKE IN MORE AIR? YES...IT IS AN AIRPUMP AFTER ALL.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Did ANYONE read the links I provided?

No. Should we? I generally like things handed to me on a silver platter...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ram Air

Cool Looking Hood

Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't either. don't need to. have already read into all the RA stuff, and compared in real life. plus looking at others real results.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SUUUUURE DOES, WHEN THE DENSITY ALTITUDE IS LOW, YOUR ENGINE DOES NOT INGEST MORE LBS OF AIR? HOW DOES IT MAKE MORE POWER IN LOWER DA?????????? IT TAKES IN MORE AIR!!!!! THE AIR IS DENSER IT GETS MORE FUEL TO GO WITH IT TO MAKE MORE POWER!!

OK IF THIS IS THE CASE, WHY DOES A CAI, AIRFOIL, HEADERS, CATBACK MAKE THE CAR FASTER? IT ENABLES IT TO PASS MORE AIR, IF YOU SPIN THE ENGINE MORE RPMS, DOES IT TAKE IN MORE AIR? YES...IT IS AN AIRPUMP AFTER ALL.

David
I was referring to the fact that my car has no MAF at all. Everything is adjusted by rpm X load using the MAP sensor, and dyno tuned by a very respectable tuner.

Yes, the car is an airpump. Like any airpump, there is a set finite capacity. The MAF seeing more air will not make the car move more air unless the rpms also rise. Only a certain amount of air can fit in 8 cylinders without forced induction, and that will never change

Also, please try to quote correctly. It is already hard to see where you are going with your posts without having to filter who is saying what.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I disagree with one thing...that there is a set, finite capacity to my air pump (engine). Mine has infinite capacity. As a matter of fact, it is pretty much the fastest thing on the road, besides my ENERGY LEGS!!!!!!11!!
Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

you and me both meent, 250MPH for you, 225 for me my man.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I didn't even have the NOS turned on...whoa boy. I haven't had my car certified to 300 MPH yet...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
No. Should we? I generally like things handed to me on a silver platter...

I looked at some of the pictures...though I already get it so...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

You didnt answer the question.

IF THIS IS THE CASE, WHY DOES A CAI, AIRFOIL, HEADERS, CATBACK MAKE THE CAR FASTER? IT ENABLES IT TO PASS MORE AIR, IF YOU SPIN THE ENGINE MORE RPMS, DOES IT TAKE IN MORE AIR? YES...IT IS AN AIRPUMP AFTER ALL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE: but and NA engine seeing more air will not magically grow more cubes and raise its amount of air it can use at any given rpm.

Really? How does a blower work? Positive intake pressure right? Making the smaller engine ingest more air, JUST like a bigger cubic inch normally aspirated engine...RIGHT? So yes it can, even .5psi of intake tract positive pressure in the airbox increases power VS vacuum in the airbox.

How does lower da(density altitude) work? More air in the cylinder. The exact reason a car makes more power in colder air....RIGHT? SO a colder intake charge makes more power...RIGHT?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE:An NA 350ci block can only use ~650cfms at 6.5k rpms - no matter how awesome your heads are or what intake you happen to use . Since the 52mm already flows that much, the bigger TB is USELESS.

Are you KIDDING me???????????? Explain to me HOW a 346 inch LS1 makes 500 RWHP with AFR heads, Super Vic and a 1370 CFM 90 mm throttlebody? Are you saying it will make the SAME power through a STOCK 650 cfm throttlebody?

If this was the case EVERY 350 cube engine would make the SAME power no matter WHAT you did to it, and we ALL know that is not the case.

I have seen MANY MANY 350 inch small blocks running a 700cfm carb and go to an 850 or bigger and pick up et, explain that one away.

Man you are reaching for crap now.

Please keep responding...your load of crap gets better everytime you post!

Your responses are NOTHING more than info read on message boards and repeated.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unit213

ugliest dragster ever

Looks somebody crossed a prius and that guy they needed a fork truck to get him out of his livingroom.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
ugliest dragster ever
It looks even worse to the other pro stock drivers since they
are always seeing Jeggy cross the line ahead of them.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

you think Jeg Coughlin has a sister named Jugs?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
ugliest dragster ever

Looks somebody crossed a prius and that guy they needed a fork truck to get him out of his livingroom.
It may be an ugly *** car but its fast as hell.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

Only AFTER he switched to a Chevy.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Of course...thats a HEMI...ooops, did I just typed that??
Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

[/B][/I]
[I][B]

OK, heres a question for ALL you rocket scientists, who is the guy in the black jacket with the headphones on standing on the passenger side of the car.

AND IT AINT NO DRAGSTER,ITS A PRO STOCK CAR.

Good lord.

David
Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Ram Air work? Sure, if it's open and sealed. How much? Very debatable, on F-body street cars, it's negligable. Is it the same as FI? No, not even close.

Quick Reply: Does Ram Air actually up your HP?