Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paranoid to go over 5000 rpms

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paranoid to go over 5000 rpms

So my motor is bone stock with almost 160k miles now. Thanks to the first owner, about 3/4 of the miles were highway miles.

Because the engine has a lot of miles, I've never pushed it over 5000 rpms yet in fear of bending a pushrod or something. Should I keep doing what I'm doing or am I just being too paranoid?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be careful how far you go, but 5k should be alright. Also don't let it hang there. That is what will kill the motor in a heart beat.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

if it's your DD i can understand why you don't want to push it too hard, but i think it can still handle a burst up to 5500 rpm on occasion. i mean why else would you buy a LS1 Camaro?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall correctly, factory PCM tune rev limiter is 6200. That means that GM built the motors to be utterly reliable up to that RPM (plus probably a little higher, safety margin you know). They put it @ 6200 because the engineers said something like "we gotta protect the motor against missed shifts and whatever else a regular joe (or regular dumbass) is going to throw at it".

If your motor has been cared for with regular oil changes, not beat on mercilessly, and everything is healthy like you still have proper valvetrain alignment, I think the mileage really shouldn't have you on pins and needles.

If your car is an M6, there's the possibility of some over revs in it's past. (You can have a mechanical over rev on an improper downshift). If it's an A4 and PCM has not been touched, it's probably never seen higher than 6200 it's whole life.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

I would be more scared of the boogie man! Do not worry about it, if the engine still carries good oil pressure and sounds ok, rev it as high as GM designed it.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I have 185K on my ride and it flat hauls for a stock car. 13.1 1/4! Stand on that pedal!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TWS, GM did build these engines with a factor of safety, but, I would be cautious on the revving. If the car has never been beaten on, it might have the wear patterns without the extended streching of the components. But, I guess if it was mine, I wouldn't let it bother me. I have done durability testing with GM and these new engines are way more robust than the old gen 1 or 2's.

So, go out and have fun. Like ads 99ta said, that's why you bought it, right?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't push it over red-line with that many miles, but I think 5k is a little low to be shifting. You should easily be able to take it higher IMO without any problems. Have you owned the car for long? If not, just replace every fluid, run seafoam through it, and take car of it. You should be able to get quite a few more miles before having anything major go wrong with it.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

like what was already said, if you have good oil pressure and regular oil changes you should be in good shape. big things that can hurt a high mile engine is lugging it (or putting the engine under heavy load), smacking the limiter and gearing down. as well as free revving (revving in neutral). also, watch for over heating as well. on a cold morning, i would even let the motor build a little heat before driving.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id be alot more concerned with the 10 bolt breaking then the motor...
Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
TWS, GM did build these engines with a factor of safety, but, I would be cautious on the revving. If the car has never been beaten on, it might have the wear patterns without the extended streching of the components. But, I guess if it was mine, I wouldn't let it bother me. I have done durability testing with GM and these new engines are way more robust than the old gen 1 or 2's.

So, go out and have fun. Like ads 99ta said, that's why you bought it, right?
I see your point, kinda. With 160k, I think its safe to say that the components are broken in and worn. It is HIGHLY unlikely his motor will be at 6200 RPM's the same length of time it is at 2000 so extended stretching would be minute, if not non existent.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

if its got good oil pressure the only thing to worry about really are if the valve springs are original. if they are they could be weak and bringing it up to the rev limiter could cause a little valve float but otherwise go for it i mean come on, if an engine is cared for i doubt anyone on this forum could tell the difference between the internals between an engine that has 80,000 or 160,000 miles on it. Run it!! whats the point of having the car if your not even going to run it to what its capable of
Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I'm scared of that too. I hear noises coming from the back every time I go over a speed bump. I think I'll climb under tomorrow and check for cracks etc.

Originally Posted by LSXNV
big things that can hurt a high mile engine is lugging it (or putting the engine under heavy load)
Would that include squeezing the throttle in a high gear/low rpms?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:39 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
I am with ya. GM Proving Grounds has LSX-family mules with 300K+ miles on them.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Possibly, but the tranny may go out first... They don't tend to make it to 200k from what I have read on here...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Would that include squeezing the throttle in a high gear/low rpms?[/QUOTE]

to an extent. like accelerating from 35 in sixth gear with a stock rear gear. you can usually hear when the engine is laboring. i will usually keep mine in 4th or 5th on surface streets.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quik406
I would be more scared of the boogie man! Do not worry about it, if the engine still carries good oil pressure and sounds ok, rev it as high as GM designed it.
I agree ,as long as u are cranking it up in the morning & you dont hear piston slap,may have when over your head ,good oil pressure & nothing that sounds out of the ordinary ,how long have u owned the car ?If @ Least 4 months ,then u are gonna know exactly what it suppose to sound like when you crank it up in the morning ,noon ,whenever,if theres a problem it will tell on itself ,it will be down on power & it will start shooting codes which all means something troubleshooting process,no biggie ,i would let that biatch rip up to @ Least 6500 & Blow the carbon build up out of it,its gonna look like a coal burner engine when u stand in it ,when u do look back in rearview mirror & tell us how much black **** came out the exhaust,i bet its gonna be alot as far as the milage ,i have a friend who owns a 97 model ybody c5 Ls1 that has a little over 300k miles on the clock ,its his daily driver , he has no problems with it

Last edited by vette#3; 12-30-2007 at 11:55 AM. Reason: needed to tell a little more about the buddy with the 300k ls1
Old 12-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Launching!

**** i get paranoid every time i drive my car
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

if your scared, take out the stock engine and put a forger 402 in it. im kidding, but seriously why did you buy the car if your not going to have fun with it???
Old 12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSXNV
like what was already said, if you have good oil pressure and regular oil changes you should be in good shape. big things that can hurt a high mile engine is lugging it (or putting the engine under heavy load), smacking the limiter and gearing down. as well as free revving (revving in neutral). also, watch for over heating as well. on a cold morning, i would even let the motor build a little heat before driving.
anything that is posted above is not "good" for any engine but it happens. engines have gone to **** at 15,000 miles, i dont get why your worried about yours.

Quick Reply: Paranoid to go over 5000 rpms