Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here. Question about my new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here. Question about my new purchase

So 2 years ago i had a 2001 Ws6 that i owned and got rid of.

So i just bought a 2001 Pewter Metallic WS6 and here it is!

If you notice the wheels are different. I thought the wheels on my second WS6 were only on 2002's only? and i also noticed the steering wheel buttons are different than my other 2001 is. Car is completly stock and the guy never changed the wheels or anything. Anyone got an idea lol? Build date was 3/01
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

welcome to the site and hmmm i don't know about the steering wheel buttons dude....never heard that one before
Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bryan04h
welcome to the site and hmmm i don't know about the steering wheel buttons dude....never heard that one before
you never heard of steering wheel buttons? like radio controls.. yea i think it changed over the years alil im sure some one will chime in..

not sure if you posted pictures or not but for what ever reason i cant see them.. so im just guessing hes talking about the radio contrls
Old 01-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kevin's_00ss
you never heard of steering wheel buttons? like radio controls.. yea i think it changed over the years alil im sure some one will chime in..

not sure if you posted pictures or not but for what ever reason i cant see them.. so im just guessing hes talking about the radio contrls
no i didnt get pic of them from my old car to this one. I just remeber they are different from both cars.

But the wheels are whats makin me confused. lol
Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

yes i know about the steering wheel buttons obviously, i didn't know they changed designs
Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats diff about the steering wheel?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Whats diff about the steering wheel?
The buttons are made in a little different format that say volume and all that stuff. hard to explain
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CGriff04
no i didnt get pic of them from my old car to this one. I just remeber they are different from both cars.

But the wheels are whats makin me confused. lol
I'd guess it would have something to do with the trim package. I've noticed that on the F-cars around here too. It could come with some kind of "Sport" or ground effects package. Or maybe a dealer thing?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Resident

f-cars? alright i have never noticed that the buttons on the steering wheels changed on the same year ws6...that just sounds odd...someone had to of changed them with "oem" new ones......i could understand the shape of the button changing from lt1's to ls1's.....but not on the same year, same car, same trim package....
Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryan04h
f-cars? alright i have never noticed that the buttons on the steering wheels changed on the same year ws6...that just sounds odd...someone had to of changed them with "oem" new ones......i could understand the shape of the button changing from lt1's to ls1's.....but not on the same year, same car, same trim package....
He means F-Body cars....or F-cars...etc...it refers to the platform which these cars (Camaro and Firebird) are built.

The steering wheel's controls probably changed again at some point during production...I say again because the only time that I know they changed were from the 98' models.The 98's had a very different more durable or solid feeling button and they had a slight form fit ( like finger indentions).I know because I have had two LS1 TAs one 98' and the other 99'.

The wheels for the WS6 had two models from what I remember in 01'.There was the "98' style" like in your pic of the black WS6 and then in 01' there was a choice of the 98' style or the newer WS6 style wheel (your pic of the pewter TA).

Also in 2000 there was yet another wheel available for the WS6 which some people call swirlies.That only carried on for part of 00' and the rest were the "98' style"

Little things change over the years and some people notice them and some don't.Alot of little things changed from my 98' to when I had my 99'.I noticed the side mirrors on the 98' had a SLIGHT blue tint to them (I bought the car new so,I KNOW it was stock),the steering wheel itself seemed to be slightly thicker than my 99's steering wheel...etc etc..

I want to say that in either 01' or 02' they even changed the design of the rear view mirror a bit...Can't recall which year for sure though.

I believe there is a sticky around here on the board that lists different changes through the years for all models.

ANYWAYS....GREAT BUY!!!!!!Looks damn nice,can't wait to see more pics in the day!!
Old 01-05-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MJK
He means F-Body cars....or F-cars...etc...it refers to the platform which these cars (Camaro and Firebird) are built.
yeah i know that, it just seemed odd to hear "f-cars"....anyway i was just looking through the stickies(although may not apply to this) but in 99 they started making cheaper steering wheel buttons...possibly the previous owner put the 98 series in...just a thought maybe
Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MJK

The steering wheel's controls probably changed again at some point during production...I say again because the only time that I know they changed were from the 98' models.The 98's had a very different more durable or solid feeling button and they had a slight form fit ( like finger indentions).I know because I have had two LS1 TAs one 98' and the other 99'.

The wheels for the WS6 had two models from what I remember in 01'.There was the "98' style" like in your pic of the black WS6 and then in 01' there was a choice of the 98' style or the newer WS6 style wheel (your pic of the pewter TA).

Also in 2000 there was yet another wheel available for the WS6 which some people call swirlies.That only carried on for part of 00' and the rest were the "98' style"

Little things change over the years and some people notice them and some don't.Alot of little things changed from my 98' to when I had my 99'.I noticed the side mirrors on the 98' had a SLIGHT blue tint to them (I bought the car new so,I KNOW it was stock),the steering wheel itself seemed to be slightly thicker than my 99's steering wheel...etc etc..

I want to say that in either 01' or 02' they even changed the design of the rear view mirror a bit...Can't recall which year for sure though.

I believe there is a sticky around here on the board that lists different changes through the years for all models.

ANYWAYS....GREAT BUY!!!!!!Looks damn nice,can't wait to see more pics in the day!!
Thank you answers my questions!!!!

ITs very nice. 24K miles bought it for 19K out the door
Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Maybe they swapped in a minivan steering wheel? Couldn't look any worse...lol!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2manycars
Maybe they swapped in a minivan steering wheel? Couldn't look any worse...lol!
Lol the steerin wheel is the same as all the others. Just the buttons are slightly different
Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MJK

"Swirlies". Salad Shooters is a more common name. But as you stated, WS6s 1998-early 2001 go the thin 5 spokes, late 2001 and '02 WS6s got the fatty spokes. I think they are called "Speedlines", but don't quote me on that. I always get them mixed up.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SweeTbone
"Swirlies". Salad Shooters is a more common name. But as you stated, WS6s 1998-early 2001 go the thin 5 spokes, late 2001 and '02 WS6s got the fatty spokes. I think they are called "Speedlines", but don't quote me on that. I always get them mixed up.
This sounds about right according to my friend who is a WS-freak. Although I must say this car looks like there is a sunfire running around with some sweet WS6 wheels.lol!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Those are the 2002 WS6 wheels. The steering wheel controls shouldn't have changed. I had an '01 Firebird before the '02 TA I have now and the controls are the same.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Lol I call the early LT-1 Z-28 wheels salad shooters.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey thats my car, ha, what I mean is that it looks just like mine. Don't you just love Pewter Metalic, and the 01 ws6 rims you havre are my personel fav rims of all f-body ls1 models.

Here are some pics of my baby. So you can see what I mean

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ackofride2.jpg

Old 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Lol I call the early LT-1 Z-28 wheels salad shooters.

Hahaha...Thats the way I have always known that name (salad shooters) is from the old LT1 days.but I'm an ol' guy,so who knows... lol