New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOLY SH!T I have a Freak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HOLY **** I have a Freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BFD ... over inflate the tires a little and any LS1 will blow through the tires in first. I did it stock in my '01 A4 and it only mustered a 278 rwhp stock and a 13.58 @ 106 ... sounds like yours may be in the same range ... far from a freak, maybe even a little below average like mine was ...
Old 07-27-2003, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Horist, did I ever tell you about the time I beat a car with quad Dilithium Crystals and Flux Capacitor Cold Fusion!!!

Bull$hit! the tri Dilithium ok... but the quad! I don't believe you!

Also... skippytheloon... it's CAMARO... same spelling for V8s and V6s!!!! look at your back bumper!

-----
Mike
2000 Firebard ... pulls hard, prolly a freak... and you guys only diss me cause i'm 15!!! er I'm 30 I mean! (being 30 makes my car pull everything so my car's a freak right!!!! if not... um... I'll have a 120 year old drive it.. that's pretty freaky!)
Old 07-27-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can spin my catback/lid a4 car through first and second on the street and track all the time, im not a freak and that is on nittos. All the way through second, not just a chirp. Also, the 30 mph spin is normal, it is a right before it shifts to 2nd and it gets the rpms up
Old 07-27-2003, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry about that guys, and the reason I mentioned that I was 16 was to show that I am a little pressed for cash, and a little caged in terms of where I can go in the car. Please don't forget that Tampa conditions are consistant 90+ dergree tempretures, with high high humidity. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell, but as for now I can only go by what I have. I do apoligize for the F bomb back there, but you guys made it personal. Don't underestimate me, and say I know nothing, cause I know when a car is faster fro the lot then it should be. GMHTP magazine dynoed a stock SS 35th Aniversary Vert. at 321 rwhp and 341 lb/ft on the dyno. Is that not a freak. Don't believe me go to http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...htp_realworld/
Old 07-27-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I floor the car the rear end starts moving around like a bitch, the car goes nowhere, and behind me is a whole lot a' smoke.
Seems to me, that the car is getting ready to implode. The smoke you look back and see is probably more due to the fact that your rearend is moving around "like a bitch", and the car is going nowhere. Seriously, my bone stock 2.73 2000 A4 car would spin the tires on the right surface through first and second. I think that instead of your car being a freak, the circumstances (road surface, temperature, moisture, amount of oil residue, etc) were more "freakish" than your car.

All I know is that spinning the tires through 2 gears from a stop with traction control, AC, and Overdrive on is not normal.
Actually, the OD makes it easier to spin through first and second gear, due to the extremely low gear ratios of a 4L60E. The A/C clutch disengages at full throttle, so that isn't an issue, either.

Also, removing your exhaust or intake manifold to look to see if your heads are ported will NOT void your warranty. (If they are ported, you're flying solo as far as GM support, anyways.)

I hear this same story at every cruise night, every car show, etc. Someone has a bone stock (car here) that ran (ET here, at least 2-3 seconds faster than any other similar car has run). Look, he's 16. At 16, I thought my 2.8L S-10 was a world beater. (I did run a 16.34 though ) I hope this won't be one of the 16 year olds that we read about in the paper. Even a stock 310RWHP car is enough to get someone who thinks both themselves and their car is a "freak" and invincible hurt or worse yet, killed.

Dude, be careful, enjoy the car, but realize that you stepped into a performance car , spinnig tires is just what they do.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Throw some ET Streets on there. I'll be impressed if you can spin them through two gears.

What you're describing is what every single one of us experiences AT THE TRACK, not just on the street. On street radials, we all can spin the **** out of them. Losing traction is not the object. Obtaining traction is what you should be going for.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

[quote]
Throw some ET Streets on there. I'll be impressed if you can spin them through two gears.

I can

Well that wasnt too cool saying all that BS back their. I know people were ragging on you that you didnt but theres no need for that on this forum.

This thread will go on forever, so I say go and slap some ET streets on that thing and take it to the track. Case closed.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

goodyear tires dont have any grip all they do is spin. I had a set and I couldnt get any traction until they were hat enough to smoke...and even then it was iffy.... Try Firestone sz50-ep tires...easily double the grip... much harder for me to spin 'em. and they use them on formula-1 cart series cars in the rain!!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

SOTP,street races and any computerized equipment monitoring ETs mean nothing.dyno would be an indicator if youre car was stronger then others but even they tend to vary.the only conclusive proof is to run it at the track.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:02 PM
7 Second Club

A 13.56 is on the slow side of average.You dont have a so-called freak,you just havent raced a skilled driver with a LS1.Do some research you will see your times are nothing special.FYI I can spin the tires in my 7300 lb diesel pickup at 40 mph on the right road.I think you should make a visit to a track and really find out what you have.Explain to mom and dad that a track is the safest place to race.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Sorry about that guys, and the reason I mentioned that I was 16 was to show that I am a little pressed for cash, and a little caged in terms of where I can go in the car. Please don't forget that Tampa conditions are consistant 90+ dergree tempretures, with high high humidity. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell, but as for now I can only go by what I have. I do apoligize for the F bomb back there, but you guys made it personal. Don't underestimate me, and say I know nothing, cause I know when a car is faster fro the lot then it should be. GMHTP magazine dynoed a stock SS 35th Aniversary Vert. at 321 rwhp and 341 lb/ft on the dyno. Is that not a freak. Don't believe me go to http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...htp_realworld/

Kid you're in over your head ... most of us on this site have more time sitting on the crapper than you do behind the wheel ... and no that GMHTP test is not a freak .. pretty routine rwhp for an '02 35th M6

To put you car in perspective to what is on this site ... there are 452 people who have registered their times here ... 250 are running 12.00 or better ... 415 of them are running faster than your pDyno? time ... only 37 running slower.

So compared to other LS1s your car is nothing special, about average to slightly below average for stock. But that doesn't mean it's not a special car. The LS1 and the F-body are an incredible platform and capable of rather impressive performance with some bolt on modification. Like I said, mine only dynoed 278 rwhp stock. But with all the bolt ons it pulled 12.12 @ 112.8 with only 335 rwhp at near full weight and crappy weather.

You can learn a lot from this site and the people here ... spend less time trying to impress us adn more time trying to learn. Everybody here is willing to help ... Good Luck
Old 07-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Launching!

maybe I have a freak also?My car bone stock ran a 13.16@107 on 245's with an a4,changed plugs,lid,gears,free mods has ran a 12.59 @110 on motor?Is this typical?On bottle 11.20@125.4 on 150
Old 07-27-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh oh here we go again... !!!
Old 07-27-2003, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

[quote]
I'm another A-4 with 3.73's and like JPZ28 I often chirp in second. I actually adjusted shift firmness back to stock so that it doesn't do it as much in nomal driving. Your car sounds like it was purchased used, if that is indeed the case you may not have a totally stock car. Could that be possible? And like someone else said, you need to look into the traction control. You should not be spinning with it turned on. Mine will push the pedal back at me and make all kinds of noise because it's applying the brakes and fighting against the wheels breaking free. In other words it's very noticable when it's on and I go to WOT. [/quote

I'm not gonna doubt ya cause I wasn't there. With that said, I too can spin the tires in my bone stock Z-28 vert wit gfx and and auto. Not only that, but under WOT with the traction control OFF, I can chirp 'em in 2nd and occasionally in 3rd.

But as said above, with the traction control ON, the pedal kicks back and chatters because of what the system in rying to overcome Sounds like yours might not be working. If it is working and you are forcing the spinning against it....I would stop .

If you can somehow in the future afford it, I would dyno the car just to get a PRE-MOD base line. The after a few mods or a major repair, dyno it again to see whtcha got

Good luck with it

And hey...guys....leave the boy alone....Yo...don't make me come ova dere....
Old 07-27-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went 13.5 stock with 2.73 gears so you dont have a freak. You would konw if the motor had internal work by the sound. Easy to hear a cam. And for that statement about people not knowing if their cars can beat yours so they should shut up. Well I know my car can beat yours so bring that thing up to chicago if you are so cocky and if you win you will have your car payed off. Not hard to figure out who can beat what. You said what your car goes. I konw why my car goes. Also if you want to know why your car spins the tires check the driveshaft. If its aluminum then you have 3.23 gears which will help you spin the tires alot easier than the usual 2.73 gears you probably are used to.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Also, I have 10inch wide tires on all 4 corners. They are quite sticky, seeing that they are Goodyear Eagle F1's...
For the record, F1's are horrible tires when you're talking traction. Also, wider tires generally don't provide too much more traction. Taller tires create a larger surface area for traction.

You either need to get to the track or put it on a dyno. Estimating power by SOTP feel and by tire spin doesn't cut it. BTW, tire spin is a BAD thing.

Having 10" wide wheels up front probably doesn't help a whole lot since it's a rwd vehicle.
I agree that F1's aren't the best for traction, but I'm a little lost on the taller vs. wider thing
Obviously, a wider tire will place more rubber on the road...a larger surface contact patch generally equates to better traction. A taller tire would effictively raise gear ration (lower numerically) if my "old school" hot rod days memory serves me correctly. This would make the taller tire harder to spin due to the extra weight and higher ratio. A short, wide tire will likely spin quicker that a taller tire of the same width, due to the ratio lowering effect.

The SOTP judgement is normal for a 16 year old. How many of us have the expendable income to run to the dyno after each mod?

And you are correct that wheel spin is a bad thing; but, it looks good, sounds pretty nifty and usually impresses other 16 year olds.
It ain't gonna send ya down the track any faster and does little (lol) to provide control of the car.

The 10"er's on the fron only add unsprung weight causing whatever power your car makes to expend that much more to push it down the road....But...I'll take a set of 315's up there anyday
Old 07-27-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe I have a freak also?My car bone stock ran a <a href="mailto:13.16@107">13.16@107</a> on 245's with an a4,changed plugs,lid,gears,free mods has ran a 12.59 @110 on motor?Is this typical?On bottle <a href="mailto:11.20@125.4">13.16@107">13.16@107</a> on 245's with an a4,changed plugs,lid,gears,free mods has ran a 12.59 @110 on motor?Is this typical?On bottle <a href="mailto:11.20@125.4</a> on 150
Yes thats a Freak IMO. My car went 14.0@99 so I definately think that is a freak. 12.50's with those mods and 11.20 on gas? Ill buy it from you
Old 07-27-2003, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

while we're on spelling..."ESPECIALLY if you're going to cope an attitude..."...It's COP...(LOL)...Hey Skippy...there a freeby...couldn't resist..take care
...(&amp;^*(#($%#) DANGED keyboard...makes me look illiterate!!!!dang, dang,dang,dang...
Old 07-27-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

while we're on spelling..."ESPECIALLY if you're going to cope an attitude..."...It's COP...(LOL)...Hey Skippy...there a freeby...couldn't resist..take care
...(&amp;^*(#($%#) DANGED keyboard...makes me look illiterate!!!!dang, dang,dang,dang...
huh
Old 07-27-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If hes spinning the tires throught first AND second, and blowing them off at a 30 roll , with the traction control on................Imagine what would happen if he turned it off.

Quick Reply: HOLY SH!T I have a Freak!!!