Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it HURT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it HURT?

Would it hurt anything if I cut out the foam that blocks the holes in the front of the nose and Would it help any???
Old 07-28-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Would it HURT?

just wondering, why would you want to?

TTT
Old 07-28-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just pulled the foam thing off along with the bumper support. everything looks fine when sitting and at highway speeds.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Teching In

i personally dont think it would be a great idea because if you get in fender bender whats to stop it from demolishing your bumper man ? know what im sayin ? just my 2 cents i would leave it there and save 3 pounds elsewhere
Old 07-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard a while back you could dump like 40 lbs. by getting rid of some internal bumper stuff; may have been both front and back. I wouldn't hesitate to remove any rear bumper stuff to save weight; Fbody's never get rear-ended because they are all haulin' butt when they get in accidents! If you don't believe it, just try and find any front end parts for one at a wrecking yard!
Old 07-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Teching In

I hear what your sayin CAL but i was thinkin when he does get in a accident tryin to rid the us of one more rice burner that there is no telling what kinda structural damage he might pick up because of the foam removal. IMO i would rather remove the useless backseats and spare tire first
know what i mean
Old 07-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Actually I have never tried removing any of that stuff, but my 3rd gen proved to be an excellent battering ram! I hit three different vehicles with the nose of my car leaving two of them dead in the water and they had to be towed! My car was always driveable afterwards. I didn't even get a ticket for doing it. Hopefully my 4th gen will never be tested this way!
Old 07-30-2003, 01:24 AM
Restricted User

I think what Chaz was asking about is trying to get more airflow across the radiator and area there. I just removed the front mount, and cut the foam. There is very little room for air movement once cut. I was looking for a way to do a new ram-air setup, something a lil more trick. But, looking at it, although the RA is out, it is a good way to get more fresh air onto the Trans cooler. Will it hurt anything, NO. As for "what if...." you get into an accident questions..Well its kinda like Mom telling you to make sure you have on clean underwear before you go out, so if you get into an accident and they rush you to the hospital at least you wont be "dirty"...Wrong...If I got in an accident as a teen with moms car, I know I would **** myself so that theory is a no go. Just likek if you remove the foam and hit something hard enought to cause damage, well.....you are driving a Camaro/Firebird so its not a tank and will most likely take on a great amount of front end damage. Hell its only a little urethane, styrofoam, plastic, rubber and I believe in there somewhere is a piece of metal or two.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

THAT WAS THE IDEA!!! I did it anyway and your right its kinda small. I was just seeing if anyone else thought it was a decent idea. OH YEAH,
right after I did this an SES light came up, I checked with Predator and it said I was running LEAN at +.015% Power Enrichment.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually I have never tried removing any of that stuff, but my 3rd gen proved to be an excellent battering ram! I hit three different vehicles with the nose of my car leaving two of them dead in the water and they had to be towed! My car was always driveable afterwards. I didn't even get a ticket for doing it. Hopefully my 4th gen will never be tested this way!
YOu save like what 5 lbs by removing the back seats?? I mean they weight practically nothing, I can of course see the spare tire and jack because they are useless anyways....
Old 07-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Top half or backrest is 17 1bs., but you're right, bottom cushions are only 2.5 lbs each so I left them in. Rear seat belts are surprisingly heavy since they have a big metal retracting mechanism and bolts attached. I've found you can still use the back seats without the top half, although with my 8-point roll bar you have to be a contortionist to even get back there. I replaced my spare and jack with a can of tire fixit.