New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody = POS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol.. If you had a Camaro the only problem you would have out of that list would be the window motor but I feel your pain.. Its just never one small problem. they come in groups.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weve all been through it...ive had my car 2 years and ive got 3 motors,2 trannys, 2 rack n pinions, new rear end, no ac, cracked dash pad, bad drivers seat, and almost every sensor in the car...
Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
lol.. If you had a Camaro the only problem you would have out of that list would be the window motor but I feel your pain.. Its just never one small problem. they come in groups.
you mean headlight motor?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look on the bright side. At least she still works...and you still have her.

99 Formula RIP
Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Banned

Tell me something i don't know
Old 04-20-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

I already have one bro. Just saying if you dont wanna do regular maintenance get rid of it. Fbodys are badass and worth the time to keep them going strong
Old 04-20-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
I already have one bro. Just saying if you dont wanna do regular maintenance get rid of it. Fbodys are badass and worth the time to keep them going strong
I was joking. I can see that you have one. I obviously think they are worth it too, but it has been a bad month! Thanks for the input.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
I bet the guys in AZ never have problems with blinkers...
HAHA! I've had to replace mine once on each side in the 7 years I've had the car, so I'm gonna have to agree with you.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am on my 2nd motor, 3rd 10 bolt, and soon to be 2nd trans, but i love my formula and i will make the sacrafice to keep up on all the stupid crap Gm gave us with the bad A$$ power train...and i buy my stuff in pairs...
Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
you mean headlight motor?
I believe he meant the window motor. He said "only problem you would have on that list would be the window motor". The context was exclusionary, meaning that if i owned a camaro I would have to deal with any of those problems with the exception of the window motor.

I thought camaros also had the daytime running lights?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by landonew
It almost as if the parts where designed to break the minute after the warranty had expired.

Yeah, that's part of the "planned obsolescence" that is built into vehicles. That way we can continue to financially support the auto makers even after we purchase their vehicle.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

every car in the world is going to have maintenance, thats all this is, if your joking cool, but if you think that you will drive a car for 10 years (even 5 yrs for that matter) and not have to do maintenance then your living in a fantasy world. just my .02 cents
Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or do I need to stop bitching?
Yes.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I think your car is a piece of ****. My car has been in 5 major wrecks and repaired to 2mm and the car is flawless...
thats some funny **** right there!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe he meant the window motor. He said "only problem you would have on that list would be the window motor". The context was exclusionary, meaning that if i owned a camaro I would have to deal with any of those problems with the exception of the window motor.

I thought camaros also had the daytime running lights?
Thats is exactly what I meant. Yes Camaros have DRL's but they don't suffer the housing and moisture problems. Just end up replacing the bulbs every year or two depending on how much the car is driven because they are on all the time or like I did was eliminate the DRL's. I've not had to change and turn signal bulbs in 3 years.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, thats right. I love my ws6 to death, but DAMNIT THE BUILD QUALITY SUCKS! Seriously can't remember the last time I went 2 weeks without having to repair something. Usually it is minor, but it still pisses me off. Here is the last month for example:

4 weeks ago: Driver's side window motor goes out
3 weeks ago: Drivers side turn signal goes out, have to replace the housing
5 days later: Passangers side turn signal starts acting up. Replace corroded housing. Works fine:
1 week ago: the passangers side headlight motor goes out.
3 days later: Passangers side window motor goes out.
today: Drivers side window motor starts making that noise (i know, its striped a gear)

So on my way to Orielly's, I try to use the damn turn signal. Won't work. I go through all the procedures in the general maintaince sticky, and the damn flasher went bad.

I know that the car is 8 years old, and I know that this is not a typical month, but damnit I am tired of spending so much time fixing the little nick nack things that go wrong with these cars.

Anyone else feeling me???? Or do I need to stop bitching?

I dont think you want me to go through my list of issues I have had starting in april of 2000 @ 2k miles all the way up to today....its normal for a car to need general repairs....no need to bitch just suck it up and fix it
If you want to experience a real POS buy a VW now that is a hunk of ****
Old 04-20-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, thats right. I love my ws6 to death, but DAMNIT THE BUILD QUALITY SUCKS! Seriously can't remember the last time I went 2 weeks without having to repair something. Usually it is minor, but it still pisses me off. Here is the last month for example:

4 weeks ago: Driver's side window motor goes out
3 weeks ago: Drivers side turn signal goes out, have to replace the housing
5 days later: Passangers side turn signal starts acting up. Replace corroded housing. Works fine:
1 week ago: the passangers side headlight motor goes out.
3 days later: Passangers side window motor goes out.
today: Drivers side window motor starts making that noise (i know, its striped a gear)

So on my way to Orielly's, I try to use the damn turn signal. Won't work. I go through all the procedures in the general maintaince sticky, and the damn flasher went bad.

I know that the car is 8 years old, and I know that this is not a typical month, but damnit I am tired of spending so much time fixing the little nick nack things that go wrong with these cars.

Anyone else feeling me???? Or do I need to stop bitching?
Seriously,are you kidding? I'm guessing your somewhere around 19-23 ,like most kids on here.How many miles on it? If its over 100,000 your whining about nothing.. Power window motors go out on these cars,I just replaced mine..I had an 86 Corvette convertible that was supposed to have 50,000 actual miles on it.The 1st week I had to replace all the fuel injectors.$800 Its was a 4+3 stick and the overdrive went out..1200 just for the part.I had to replace the computer,radiator,power steering pump,4 lights on the dash.The bulbs for that were $50 a piece cause they were special bulbs.When your engine goes get back to us..I have more reason to bitch than you do..I've had 6 f-bodies and I can guarantee you I can think up 10 cars off the top of my head that are far worse.. its also possible someone beat the crap out of your car before you got it.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

Lol, I hear ya man. I LOVE my car and would NEVER sell it, but something is ALWAYS going wrong and I end up having to spend more and more money/time fixing it. I too have a '99 WS6... Maybe it's something wrong with the year?...
Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can always buy the headlights that don't go up for our cars, they just have a clear plastic in place of the metal lid. I'm sure you've seen them before, I don't know what they are called and they are expensive (last time I looked at them), but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the headlight motors (not that you will have to even worry about that for awhile either, hopefully). How have you had all these problems with only ~25k miles?!? I haven't had near that many problems *knocks on wood* and my car just crested the 100k mark.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irocem99
Seriously,are you kidding? I'm guessing your somewhere around 19-23 ,like most kids on here.How many miles on it? If its over 100,000 your whining about nothing.. Power window motors go out on these cars,I just replaced mine..I had an 86 Corvette convertible that was supposed to have 50,000 actual miles on it.The 1st week I had to replace all the fuel injectors.$800 Its was a 4+3 stick and the overdrive went out..1200 just for the part.I had to replace the computer,radiator,power steering pump,4 lights on the dash.The bulbs for that were $50 a piece cause they were special bulbs.When your engine goes get back to us..I have more reason to bitch than you do..I've had 6 f-bodies and I can guarantee you I can think up 10 cars off the top of my head that are far worse.. its also possible someone beat the crap out of your car before you got it.
Yea, the car has just under 30K on it. And the motor did go (spun bearing). I am not bitching about the motor. I modified it (H/C/I) and i accept the consequences.

Wow you guessed it, I am 23 years old. I am far from a "kid" though. In fact I would bet you next weeks pay check that if you met me, the last thing you would think I was was a kid.

BTW, an 86 corvette is what most would consider an OLD car. You bought a project car and that is what you got, a BIG EXPENSIVE project. So you had to replace fuel injectors, and a few bulbs. If I bought a car that was damn near as old as I was then I would expect to be replacing fuel injectors, bulbs and just about every other wearable part. I am sure your vette is nice, but i don't really undestand how you can compare a 22 year vette to my 1999 TA. Considering that the miles are low, I would expect things like window/headlight motors, blinker switches, and the like to be functioning properly. Anyhow, I bought a "realitively" late model car that is 8 years old (not 22 years old), and i don't think my expectations are to high.

Also, how the hell do you "beat the crap" out of a window motor, and headlight motors. I mean i guess you could sit there and roll the windows up and down several hundred times a day, but aside from that they are not really susceptable to abuse are they?

Anyhow, Sorry for you guys who got your panties in a bunch over a slight criticism of our cars. As I suspected the majority of the community was able to relate because they have experianced the same problems (although maybe not all in 1 month ).

The title was supposed to be for shock value, and to draw attention to the thread. I am a GM guy to the core, and honestly just thought i would share my run of Bad luck with the community. To be honest, If it wasn't my car, I would find the multitude of problems that i have had within such a short period of time pretty fu*king funny.

Quick Reply: Fbody = POS!