Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody = POS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Only real major repair has been lifters in January and now a new motor... bad thing about buying an abused car
Wow, did the previous owner ever change the oil? It's damn near impossibile to kill a Series II 3.8L. That's one tough little motor. Toss some fresh oil & filter at it every so often and it should go 200k+ with no major internal issues.

I actually really like the 3.8L. I've owned two of them (still have one in my Bonneville). Strong, quiet, reliable.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Wow, did the previous owner ever change the oil? It's damn near impossibile to kill a Series II 3.8L. That's one tough little motor. Toss some fresh oil & filter at it every so often and it should go 200k+ with no major internal issues.

I actually really like the 3.8L. I've owned two of them (still have one in my Bonneville). Strong, quiet, reliable.
Considering there was a burnt black spot on the end of the dipstick, I'd have to say he didn't change it very often Motor only had 110K on it too. It had 104K when I bought it, so I only got 6K before it crapped out and spun the rod bearing. It makes such a racket right now I'll bet that if I try and start it up again it'll probably fly apart and blow a hole in the block.

My brother and dad both blame the seafoam I ran through the motor when I first got it. Said it knocked stuff loose (like it should) and that ended up clogging oil channels and starved the motor of oil in places. I doubt it because that was over 5K miles and 2 oil changes ago, plus the oil filter is supposed to catch anything floating around. I said I wanted to seafoam the replacement motor (it has 55K on it) just to get ahead of things and they are telling me I'll just end up killing this motor too.

Ever heard of seafoam causing engine failure like that? I haven't.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
Well all know the F-Body is superior to many muscle car of the same generation, or even newer ones. Those things dont affect the performance of it, we dont need headlights or windows to have fun. Right?
You got that right!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

its a gm sports car come on what do you expect.. i had a 04 gto for alittle while and my a/c went out, the passenger side door lock broke causing the alarm to keep going off, not to mention the driver side frc was cutting into the fuel line
Old 04-22-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
thats some funny **** right there!
Would you like to see before after pics?

What is even funnier is that I am the only one that hasn't wrecked my car.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. I bought a brand-new 1989 Formula, owned it for 6 years and had to fix the door-lock actuator once. Bought my 2000 Z28 new and had to replace the PS pump and manual mirror-adjuster. Both had minor paint flaws fixed under warranty and I did push a head-gasket on nitrous once. Overall, I am very pleased with GM...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The things I've had to "repair" on my car is quite the shortlist.

Clutch (this only made the list because it CAN'T hold stock power for long)
Passenger window motor
Radio CD Player
Door Speakers
AC Idler and Belt Tensioner Pulley re-grease
Rear Pinion Seal Leak
Headlight, fog lights and a few taillights (ie it's normal age)
Brakes
Tires

Everything else that I've done to the car I've caused it myself so can't say it went out due to age or usage. Like I had a rear transmission seal leak. My fault for nicking the seal when I reinstalled the driveshaft. Those are things you do yourself and can't really be blamed on craftsmanship.

As far as I'm concerned, my car is in excellent shape for it's age. Heck some people wonder if it's brand new lol. It's handled 2 winters, still looks very clean underneath. I was just under it a month ago doing some cleanup of the salt/dirt and found it had a nice I'm still brand new look to most of the paint. Stay on top of regular maintenance, change fluids on a regular basis and it'll treat you right.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,255 Posts

In my experiance, the people that think these cars are poor quality are those that bought them as high(er) mileage used cars that had already been beat down by previous owners.

Not many cars that are 8-10 years old with 100k-ish miles look/drive like new anymore.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Only problems I ever had was my one of my day time running lamp kept going out even after several warranty visits to fix it, and the window motor thing is a Gm problem not fbody.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In my experiance, the people that think these cars are poor quality are those that bought them as high(er) mileage used cars that had already been beat down by previous owners.

Not many cars that are 8-10 years old with 100k-ish miles look/drive like new anymore.
Very true. Its about how the vehicle was previous taken care of. I bought mine with a little over 51k miles. And now Im nearing 55k miles, and yet to have a problem.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm wierd, my 98 has 62,xxx in it and is ten years old yet the only thing ever replaced other then a light bulb or two was the Pass. side mirror like 9 years ago under warranty. Pretty shitty...
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Hmmm my current issues...

Intermittent headlight/dash flickering

Rattles everywhere

Shifter cable out of whack

CD Changer spits out CDs

Blown Monsoon speaker

thumping from trans or rear under hard acceleration

window motor that just quit today

vibrations all over (other than the good ones at idle )

squeaks

whistling noises

But in the end...it's still a great car. I love it - I just want to crash it sometimes.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

I have only replaced a few things like window motor (dealer fixed for free) and the wheel bearings in the rear end. It rattles around the T tops but putting some lube on the rubber seals seems to fix that for a while until it needs more lube. All in all it's a good car. I have driven plenty of other cars that have needed more expensive things replaced.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

I think the drivetrain is fine. (minus 10 bolt)

The interior in these cars could have used a little more attention...
Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've only had small normal things to replace on mine....window motor, power antenna, spark plugs, O2's, etc.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

The way I look at the F-bodies is that I paid for an awesome car that runs like a bat out of hell, looks sexy as hell, and puts a smile on my face everytime I get behind the wheel. Sure it's a pain in the *** to have to deal with headlight motors (cost me $900 to fix at the dealer) the window motors, the turn signals/bulbs, and changing those hard to get spark plugs, but in the end, when they're all said and done, the car is still badass and you forget about it. Fact of the matter, it's a love/hate relationship and I'm ok with that.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Launching!

My little bros 97 TA just had the window motors replaced the headlight motors fixed and the sensor on the electric fan fixed. He has also had both radiator hoses rupture. The car has been a good car other then that. My LS car has had no problems other then the window motors went out. If you think those problems are bad my wifes LT cobalt that we bought new in 08 has 15k on it and has more problems then any other car I have owned in my life.

All four window motors and the tracks went bad at 3k
The window switches went out at 5k
The tranny started acting up at 2k acts like a standard shift when you are going down a hill.
Radio is out right now
The a/c sucks
now the car shakes at 70 mph.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Damn, make some lemonade dude... I've had 3 f-bodies, all have served me well...
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

I've owned my car since January, I'm on my third passenger side turn signal

Oh, and I'm replacing my driver side window motor today

And I had to change plugs

I love my car though and wouldn't give it up for anything
Old 07-26-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mann mine as 30,000 unabused miles on it and is like new, and will get up and go like nothing ive ever been in,, done drill mod to front turn sigs, new clutch, window motor, speaker, adjust handle on pkng. brake, , those r the only problems here

Quick Reply: Fbody = POS!