New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody = POS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing like reviving a thread that is over a year old!!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i got to join the club on this one i think it all goes back the the person you bought the car from. when i bought mine i had to replace all the tires about 5 or 6 bulbs on the car both window motors now the trans is going out. also i dont know how but all the speakers didnt work anymore in the car and sometimes i wonder if they ever waxed the car but oh well i got a hell of a deal on it so i cant complain much id rather spend a little at a time then alot at once.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

bad luck man =/ - nothing on my car has needed to be replaced that came from the factory.. only some shitty aftermarket parts (muffler, turnsignals) that i needed to swap out.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by landonew
Yea, thats right. I love my ws6 to death, but DAMNIT THE BUILD QUALITY SUCKS! Seriously can't remember the last time I went 2 weeks without having to repair something. Usually it is minor, but it still pisses me off. Here is the last month for example:

4 weeks ago: Driver's side window motor goes out
3 weeks ago: Drivers side turn signal goes out, have to replace the housing
5 days later: Passangers side turn signal starts acting up. Replace corroded housing. Works fine:
1 week ago: the passangers side headlight motor goes out.
3 days later: Passangers side window motor goes out.
today: Drivers side window motor starts making that noise (i know, its striped a gear)

So on my way to Orielly's, I try to use the damn turn signal. Won't work. I go through all the procedures in the general maintaince sticky, and the damn flasher went bad.

I know that the car is 8 years old, and I know that this is not a typical month, but damnit I am tired of spending so much time fixing the little nick nack things that go wrong with these cars.

Anyone else feeling me???? Or do I need to stop bitching?

dude i ultimatly feel ya... and your kinda scaring me because the first three things you listed are my current problems and im not looking forward to the other two... ****!!
thing is im too much into my engine that i would rather work around the flaws ans spend money on headers and bolt ons hahaha... oops
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Nothing like reviving a thread that is over a year old!!!!
haha true but thought i'd pop in my two sense
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm after 8 years that's it???

At 120k miles now, car's winter driven, no rust (knock on wood), 1 window motor, misc bulbs, a pinion seal. I've seen summer only cars have more rust on their suspension parts (10 bolt, a-arms, k-member) than my car has.

Personally, I think the build quality is amazing. Save for the 10 bolt.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

well i have a 99 T/A with 61k and all I had to do so far is the 180 temp. fix on the driver headlight motor, autotrix window fix to make the pass. window roll up faster, and fix both of the plastic seat belt guides. But I have only had the car a few months and bought it at 59k so i hope the misc. fixes stays down to a minimum. Even though misc. stuff breaks, I love my T/A and wouldnt give it up any time soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wrb07sti
fbodies suck, i have had three ls1 trans ams and got rid of them. the last one i sold to some ******* on this forum, it had tranny problems, hydrolic issues, motor problems, rear end problems, these cars are ****** plaqued.... trans am ftl
So you are here.... why?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
Yea, thats right. I love my ws6 to death, but DAMNIT THE BUILD QUALITY SUCKS! Seriously can't remember the last time I went 2 weeks without having to repair something. Usually it is minor, but it still pisses me off. Here is the last month for example:

4 weeks ago: Driver's side window motor goes out
3 weeks ago: Drivers side turn signal goes out, have to replace the housing
5 days later: Passangers side turn signal starts acting up. Replace corroded housing. Works fine:
1 week ago: the passangers side headlight motor goes out.
3 days later: Passangers side window motor goes out.
today: Drivers side window motor starts making that noise (i know, its striped a gear)

So on my way to Orielly's, I try to use the damn turn signal. Won't work. I go through all the procedures in the general maintaince sticky, and the damn flasher went bad.

I know that the car is 8 years old, and I know that this is not a typical month, but damnit I am tired of spending so much time fixing the little nick nack things that go wrong with these cars.

Anyone else feeling me???? Or do I need to stop bitching?
sorry to hear about your issues man. I havent had any serious issues with mine.

so far I have replaced - drivers side window motor and emissions check valve.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

fbodies suck, i have had three ls1 trans ams and got rid of them. the last one i sold to some ******* on this forum, it had tranny problems, hydrolic issues, motor problems, rear end problems, these cars are ****** plaqued.... trans am ftl
Nothing is perfect.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Teching In

They are not plagued just because there are a select few (as with any car) that have excessive problems. Just happens. I have owned several f-bodies and they are in fact quite reliable as long as they are taken care of.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

It's days like these I am grateful I have roll up windows. I'm not so grateful when it starts raining and I have to pull over to put the window up.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianSearles
They are not plagued just because there are a select few (as with any car) that have excessive problems. Just happens. I have owned several f-bodies and they are in fact quite reliable as long as they are taken care of.
That's what I've run into was mine was not taken care of, and it shows by how much work and money I've put into fixing stuff.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

sorry you have a POS! My car has 123,000 miles and has had 413whp for almost 40,000 miles. I drive the **** out of it and dog the crap out of it. Still has everything original but stuff i added to it. Stock m6, 10 bolt 100% no noise, long block. The only time it has ever gave me any problems was the chip on my key went bad and wouldn't turn over. So all i had to do get on here and ask and someone gave me some options on what it could be and boom! i used other set of keys and all good.

You must of gone one that was build on a friday afternoon b4 a 3 day weekend LOL All companys make a few bad cars
Old 07-27-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So why did you keep buying them if they suck so bad?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Teching In

If you don't like them don't own one.Its a used car if you buy the cheapest one you find maybe there is a reason its cheap.A f body and mustang are probably the most hardest driven cars you see on the roads.You can only beat on a car before it starts to hit back.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
It's days like these I am grateful I have roll up windows. I'm not so grateful when it starts raining and I have to pull over to put the window up.
Yup..

You don't have it down yet to where you can lean across teh car and roll it up..?

**** breaks..that's just how it goes. I"ll take the $2 Light Bulbs over the multiple Transmissions and Rear-ends I have thrashed.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

put a bullet in my head along with my trans am that has cracked door panels, notchy gears, whiney rear end!!
I has something for you..

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Cheap - Fast - Reliable

Pick two...

For the Camaro, it was always cheap and fast.

Also, why bitch about a whiny rear end? Mine whines too and I constantly get asked if its supercharged. Lol, the only benefit from that I suppose.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
I has something for you..

Good one Merv

Quick Reply: Fbody = POS!