New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise coming from rear of car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dig in to it. It is not hard to do. I wish the best for you.
-Sean-
Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalus
OK! Update! I went to 2 local dealerships cause I know 2 of the guys pretty well. First went to a side garage and its a guy my dad knows, took him for a drive he said its one of the bearings.

I use to work at a Ford dealership and I know the service manager pretty well so we went for a drive he said it also is one of the bearings, he is shooting for a axle bearing cause when you steer hard back and forth it will make a slight change from side to side.

When we where rolling the tires it was in neutral.

Noise happens no matter what, up hill, down hill, left, right.

We checked the fluid, there is plenty in it.

Haven't pulled the cover off yet!
You need to pull the cover.Mine was doing the same thing.I just replaced the whole rear end. Both carrier bearings where bad and the gears inside the posi housing were worn and had worn through the housing. If you pull the cover and there is metal on the magnet, its probably cheaper to find a replacement rear end.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Update???
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going out of town next this weekend, pulling the cover off and doing the bearings the weekend after that.

Work sucks....
Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am having the same problem on my car it is a 2002 z28 and i have somewhere around 117,000 on it which is sad to admit. my problem is also there when i let off the gas and turn left mainly. another problem i am having is that when i have my foot slightly off the brake pedal just enough for the car to move barely, the car jolts foreward repedetly like i have a huge cam in the car but i dont(not yet) its in the house waiting(gotta have climate control for my toys lol) well anyway that my 2 cents. as a side note the only things dont to the car are a k&n cold air intake a set of long tubes a 3" off road y pipe with a flowmaster and ls1edit slight tranny program, also the car is lowered with eibach springs and bilstein shocks from slp.

Quick Reply: Noise coming from rear of car?