Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Power Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is Power Shifting?

I've read in a lot post about power shifting. But I don't know what it is. Can someone please explain it to me.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Default Re: What is Power Shifting?

From what I heard it's when you shift a M6 at redline rpm's without stopping acceleration. In other words you keep the gas pedal floored during the shifts. I hear it's not good for the tranny or the clutch. I'm sure one of the M6 guys will correct me if I'm wrong but that was my understanding of powershifting.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Darren is correct. Its simply keeping the throttle pedal floored and shifting the car as fast as you can without lifting the throttle. Its not so bad on the tranny unless you miss a gear. Then it brutalizes the synchros and rewards you with a grinding tranny after awhile.

"Speed Shifting" is where you lift partially, but shift as fast as possible. A good speed shifter can run almost as good at the track, and cause less damage if you miss a gear.

Tony
Old 08-06-2003, 11:16 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that is correct...and it is hard on the clutch...but also on the rest of the driveline if you have a really good clutch....thats why real power guys can twist an axle in half.....too much grip at the clutch and the wheels.....engine torque is greater than the driveshaft strength....and SNAP!!! also rear end gears have the same problem because of power shifting. most people dont break parts because of acceleration...they brake them because of a sudden jolt in power and torque(I.E shifting).
Old 08-06-2003, 11:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You are correct also, I've broken two stock rearends while powershifting into 4th gear. Once at the track en route to a 10-second run, the other on the street on drag radials with only 400 rwhp at the time.

Shock loads are what break things, not acceleration. Instant torque spikes kill parts

Tony
Old 08-06-2003, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like Tony said, you can get really good results with just "speed-shifting", it just takes more finesse. If you have a rev-limiter, holding the throttle down at the shift on an LS1 just runs into the limiter. Why? Because best ET's will be had shifting right at the limiter. So the huge advantage folk claim is over-rated.

I don't powershift, and run better numbers with identical equipment than some of the powershifting guys.

I can powershift, and used to do it on bikes extensively. I don't need to do it in cars to get great numbers. Maybe that's why I've never had a trans or rear end problem on my cars.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

actually, acceleration is what kills parts...that sudden jolt, or force = mass * accel. the greater the acceleration, the greater the force, or sudden impact

I know, I'm an ***.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually, acceleration is what kills parts...that sudden jolt, or force = mass * accel. the greater the acceleration, the greater the force, or sudden impact

I know, I'm an ***.

Actually, it's what is known as jerk, or the rate of acceleration. If you increase jerk quickly, you'll nearly have infinite force (derivative of jerk is acceleration and as you said F=ma)
Old 08-06-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, it's what is known as jerk, or the rate of acceleration. If you increase jerk quickly, you'll nearly have infinite force (derivative of jerk is acceleration and as you said F=ma)
<CS major>
nerd ownage
</CS major>
Old 08-06-2003, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

You nerds! You forgot that most of these failures don't happen to brand new parts, but parts that have led a tough life up to that point. Fatigue (especially with gear teeth) also plays a big role in this destruction.

lol. I'm a BSME, I can act nerdy too

Tony :p
Old 08-06-2003, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go on, but I fear I may be banned from this site and my car taken for being to nerdy
Old 08-06-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would go on, but I fear I may be banned from this site and my car taken for being to nerdy
You mean too nerdy???

I'm sorry, I'll stop.