New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are all the fluids that need to be regularly changed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are all the fluids that need to be regularly changed?

And how long/how many miles to change them?

(I ask because I was in the Gears and Axles section and read something about gearing lube or something)
Old 05-10-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I change my rear fluid/additive around every 15k-20k miles but I don't think you need to change it that often. If you have an owners manual it has all the recommended maintenance intervals in the back, including changing fluids.

Last edited by stockerws6; 05-10-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake fluid is important...lots of people neglect it. I change tranny fluid and gear oil like every 30K (**** I'm due on that lol) in my 6 speed car, if I had an auto I'd be asking for advice on how often to change tranny fluid...or I'd wait for it to die and swap it to a T56 , brake fluid I do by seasons (or by how much I've raced it)...usually every spring I change that...if I've done a lot of autocrossing or road racing then I'll change that more often. Antifreeze...I never really did by mileage...once a year though usually (which is probably more than necessary...what real important is making sure the whole system is clean when you do change antifreeze), and oil...
Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Brake fluid is important...lots of people neglect it. I change tranny fluid and gear oil like every 30K (**** I'm due on that lol) in my 6 speed car, if I had an auto I'd be asking for advice on how often to change tranny fluid...or I'd wait for it to die and swap it to a T56 , brake fluid I do by seasons (or by how much I've raced it)...usually every spring I change that...if I've done a lot of autocrossing or road racing then I'll change that more often. Antifreeze...I never really did by mileage...once a year though usually (which is probably more than necessary...what real important is making sure the whole system is clean when you do change antifreeze), and oil...
Man, and i though i was ****... I dont change mine nearly that often (but i dont drag or auto more then 2-3 times a year). I just check them whenever im working on the car... probably monthly. If there is discoloration, or it doesnt smell right... ill change them. But then im always changing/fixing/working on something. So im under the car ALL the time.

If you just purchased the car, i would change all the fluids... just for piece of mind, but im pretty ****. Id personally go synthetics...
Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i just bought mine and had a local mechanic go through and check everything. just to be sure before i went out driving it all the time with low fluids.

i had to replace the rear discs and pads, and the front disks. the guy before me didnt know anything about cars and the rear pads were completely gone.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

The blinker fluid, muffler bearing fluid, hyphennoophinator fluid is all important

HAD TO DO IT Forgive me
Old 05-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Launching!

you laugh about muffler fluid. the new bmw diesel has a fluid that is sprayed into the exhaust to help burn up the hydrocarbons that are left after leaving the particulate filter. The exhaust in that car comes out a h20. ALL diesel sooner or later will have this fluid.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
you laugh about muffler fluid. the new bmw diesel has a fluid that is sprayed into the exhaust to help burn up the hydrocarbons that are left after leaving the particulate filter. The exhaust in that car comes out a h20. ALL diesel sooner or later will have this fluid.
Thats interesting