New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

free mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default free mod questions

I am thinking of doing the cutting of the egr pipe but first question is do they cut it completely off or does the sensor run down through and I need to be careful and cut the tube around it?
What is the opinion of the cutting of the air box if I have a K and N filter and slp lid, smooth bellow and bigger throttle body?
Are these still worth doing and will they start throwing up codes at me?

Any other free mods someone can think of for my 99 LS1 trams am , A4 trans. Going to do this this weekend so any and all help would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

why do you want to cut the air box and why do you want to take off the egr? the egr/air system doesnt rob any power, it might be annoying while its running while the motor warms up but its not hurting anything. all emissions systems stop when you go WOT anyway i think.

forget the throttle body if your stock, you could use the money elsewhere.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:24 PM

there is a thread under free mod that advise cutting open the bottom of the air box to allow more air flow.
The egr tube cutting looks like it will allow more airflow through the opening of the intake.
I already did the throttle body and I love it! I went to an 85mm that is ported, the response is quicker and it opens all the way.
It definitely increased the "feel it in the seat of your pants" power and response.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

if you enjoy the throttle body then thats great-just seems like that money could have been used for more effective stuff. agree to disagree.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to answer your question. yes you can cut straight through the egr tube. nothing goes through it.

as far as the FRA/hacking the airbox mod, its not bad but you will get higher intake temps,
so its a trade off, more airflow but hotter air.

spare yourself on the k%n filter, smooth bellows, and throttle body for now. and put it towards some LT headers, then LS6 intake.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:07 PM

OOOPPPPPSSSS!
I already had the k@n and bellows and throttle body.
The throttle body came on a LS6 intake but it didn't have and opening for and egr. I gave back the intake and kept the TB because the people I talk to told me it would be a pain to eliminate the emissions and put that intake and headers on, I was advised just to order the right app. for my car later.
From now on I will check things out here first because at least you guys shoot straight up!
I will also pass on the hacking the air intake box. Seems to me a little less COOLER air would be better than a little more WARMER air?

Thanks again for the tips and I just wished I would have joined up sooner
Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Defenestrate, why would you say that/ If the EGR doesn't matter, why does everyone and their dog reccomend getting an LS6 Intake?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Ls6 intake will give you up to 20 hp, bolt on! Better flowing intakes,
Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas99Z28
Defenestrate, why would you say that/ If the EGR doesn't matter, why does everyone and their dog reccomend getting an LS6 Intake?
It has nothing to do with the egr. Plenum size and runner size.Like stated above on wot the egr is not active.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 PM

I would have elminated all the emissions crap if I could, but there isn't anybody within a 3 hour drive that does this. ESPECIALLY when they hear I want the emissions deleted I was also told even if I wanted to drive that far that I would have to have my car trailered there.
So I am going to do what I can inside the box.
I am only shooting for 450 or a few less, with the right set up I can do this "inside the box".
Old 05-15-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hullkinghitman
I would have elminated all the emissions crap if I could, but there isn't anybody within a 3 hour drive that does this. ESPECIALLY when they hear I want the emissions deleted I was also told even if I wanted to drive that far that I would have to have my car trailered there.
So I am going to do what I can inside the box.
I am only shooting for 450 or a few less, with the right set up I can do this "inside the box".
So you are wanting to pay someone to eliminate the emissions stuff. Its really easy and anyone can do it. With the 6 hour total drive, and whatever time it is at the shop, you could do it 10 times over with no knowledge of tools at all.

And cutting the air box is simple and seems to help.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Let me in on the secret then Bro, I was going to cut the airbox myself but there seems to be conflicting oppions if its has an advantage because the air it is letting in is warm air? Have you done this and what is your results?
How do I tune it withour knowing how or what to tune it with?
I have some understanding of old school cars but this computer shi... stuff screws withme everytime.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol its easy man. Just dont be scared to dig in. If you feel more comfortable. Just cut it, but leave the frame work in the bottom. The rest can go. I had a 2mph difference after I did it, but that was probably more due to better weather/driving. Reguardless, I went faster. Its not going to hurt anything... I just did mine out of boredom.

And I guess when you are talking about tuning, you mean tuning out the EGR because it will throw a code? If you dont want to drive to a shop to get it tuned out, then I think a programmer will take it out... Find someone in your area to do it.

If you are talking about tuning performance wise, its not necessary with these mods. Deleting emissions will not effect performance at all. And the ram air mod will not be enough to need another tune.

I hope I anwsered everything.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM

that the problem, I can't find anybody in my area to do it. The only cars these guys will tune are ones without computers. No dealership, speed shop, tranny shop, resto shop, will touch it and I have tried them all and asked if they could point me in the right direction.
I don't want to shell out 400 for a tuner that I don't really know how to use yet, next fall I am going to take the motor out and freshen it up, rods, mains, intake, headers, cam, heads redone, I want the original, but ls6 intake.block will be bored, Then i will buy a tuner,
Right now I just want a quick one done so I can save my pennies for the rest of the stuff to do in the winter, unless gas goes up much more, this smiley is for whoever sets gas prices only :butt kick:
Those smileys were for the people who price gas only.
Everyone on this site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

alright look, man. I did the cutting of the lower air box and it's whatever. would i re-do it? probably not, i was just broke and looking for anything i could get. Instead I would have spent $ on a lid, ported my stock tb, bellows is fine, ls6 intake, and the exhaust to complete it. Long tubes and y pipe, and a good cat back, or of course you can dump it, whatever you like.

I also recommend a torque converter (stall) and you're on your way.

Check out: www.installuniversity.com for more free mods and how to diagrams if you want - good place to start for many of us old-time f-body owners
Old 05-16-2008, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the tips and the honest opinion.
I just got the TB ported, smoothe Bellows on, and Slp lid,
So I will leave it at that for now, it goes in for a shift kit next week along with, hopefully, I sent my rims out to be powder coated black with a chrome edge on the very outside lip. I am also powder coating the emblems on the door black.
As far as one more question and I hope I am not pressing my luck with you.
I just read about seafoaming a car.
It sounds good, mine has 93000 on it.
Have you done it and do you think it's worth the effort?
Thanks again
Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok look.... You are going to need a professional tuner with a dyno to tune your car if you ever tear your motor apart like that. And until you get a cam, heads, etc. you are NOT going to need a tune. It wouldnt hurt to get one, but you could drive without it. The free mods and what not are not going to require a tune... period.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Ok look.... You are going to need a professional tuner with a dyno to tune your car if you ever tear your motor apart like that. And until you get a cam, heads, etc. you are NOT going to need a tune. It wouldnt hurt to get one, but you could drive without it. The free mods and what not are not going to require a tune... period.
what he said ^^^^.. although it IS a good idea to get a tune once the intake and exhaust are upgraded so your cars runs at the proper A/F ratio.. Might run too rich or lean w/o a tune but it'll still be driveable sure.

One mroe thing, if you just bought the car, change your plugs and wires and replace your fluids asap since you don't really know who had the car before and how well it was maintained!!!!!