New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of power is expected? And how much $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of power is expected? And how much $$$?

I was curious on how much power you guys would guess from this setup? And what it would cost to do?

Forged 347, TEA 2.5 LS6 heads, G5x4, TEA ported FAST 90mm, NW 90mm TB, 4.11s, and Yank 3200 Stall.

This setup would possibly take me forever to get, but hey! I can dream.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
I was curious on how much power you guys would guess from this setup? And what it would cost to do?

Forged 347, TEA 2.5 LS6 heads, G5x4, TEA ported FAST 90mm, NW 90mm TB, 4.11s, and Yank 3200 Stall.

This setup would possibly take me forever to get, but hey! I can dream.
just one question... why forged? are you planning on FI or N02? if your not lookin at either of those options, then i think forged (while definitely better) isn't necessary, and could really cut down on the cost.

edit: and to answer your question... if you do some serious bargain shopping, anywhere from $4000 and up. Take out the forged idea and you'll cut out about a grand
Old 05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 406malibu
just one question... why forged? are you planning on FI or N02? if your not lookin at either of those options, then i think forged (while definitely better) isn't necessary, and could really cut down on the cost.

edit: and to answer your question... if you do some serious bargain shopping, anywhere from $4000 and up. Take out the forged idea and you'll cut out about a grand
Well I do want to go with FI, but that would be wayy later on. I was planning to get this done by the end of this year, or early next year. I just wanna get some info put together in the mean time.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
Well I do want to go with FI, but that would be wayy later on. I was planning to get this done by the end of this year, or early next year. I just wanna get some info put together in the mean time.
ah, that makes sense then as for power you'd be makin... i dont have the slightest, but would be interested in how it turns out
Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you already have full exhaust.
You will also need gaskets, RTV, fluids etc...

These are ballpark figures with no labor or shipping:

Forged SB $3000 (factory crank)
TEA Heads $1700
G5X4 $450
Ported 92/92 $1500 (don't make 90/90 anymore)
411's $300 (guess with setup kit)
Yank Stall $675 (you need at least SS3600 w/this setup)
UD pulley $200 (I threw this in lol)
______
7,825 Parts Only

This would be a nice set-up. I will do something similiar down the road only it will be an LS2 block stretched to 402ci

Edit: I would guess with proper DCR + or - 450rwhp.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are planning on building it for FI you will want a low compression setup that wouldn't be very good while running NA.

I would just get some good heads with a thick deck like AFR's. Later own down the road when you have money for the FI setup you can reuse the heads. You really don't need a forged shortblock for NA and if you build it with low compression for FI then run it NA you will not make good power.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
If you are planning on building it for FI you will want a low compression setup that wouldn't be very good while running NA.

I would just get some good heads with a thick deck like AFR's. Later own down the road when you have money for the FI setup you can reuse the heads. You really don't need a forged shortblock for NA and if you build it with low compression for FI then run it NA you will not make good power.
I am planning on doing the same type of thing,if he gets a set of CNC ported factory castings with the heads milled he can make a good amount of power while running NA and then buy a set of AFR's with a 72cc and drop the compression to make it boost friendly.....
Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blkdoutbird
I am planning on doing the same type of thing,if he gets a set of CNC ported factory castings with the heads milled he can make a good amount of power while running NA and then buy a set of AFR's with a 72cc and drop the compression to make it boost friendly.....
I suppose but you would still have to compromise a little bit somewhere. I don't feel like doing the math but I don't think you can go from an all out hi compression engine to an 8.5-9:1 compression boosted engine just by swapping the heads.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
I suppose but you would still have to compromise a little bit somewhere. I don't feel like doing the math but I don't think you can go from an all out hi compression engine to an 8.5-9:1 compression boosted engine just by swapping the heads.
Well with a set of pistons with a -2cc relief and 59cc heads with a .041 gaskets, the static compression is 11:1.By swapping to a 72cc head and .055 gasket the compression will be at 9.3:1.So going from a decent NA motor to boost ready is just a head swap away.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default My setup

I will have my motor back together by wednesday. I have diamond forged 3.905 pistons with -2cc valve reliefs, scat H beam rods, stock crank (there is no need to by a forged unless you looking for over 1000HP), TSP 5.3 stage 2.5 milled down to 59cc chambers, ls6 intake, TSP 233/239 cam on 112 LSA, cadillac lifters, double roller timing chain set. And from talking from texas speed and my builder i should be looking from 420-445 RWHP, and thats just motor. I built forged because i dont plan on shooting the nitrous but i have the reassurance that it will be there if i do (even though i will have it hooked up in case i feel froggy 100-200 HP Wet shot). Right now it looks like with everything that i have going into it i will have about 4.5-5K in the motor which is a lot of money but i dont want to have to do this again any time soon. this setup is somewhat similar to yours so thats my two cents on the numbers you should put out which was 420-445 RWHP