Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG Vs. Cutout sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb GMMG Vs. Cutout sound

Right now I have a cut out on my stock 02 SS with 18Kmi. I plan on keeping it basically stock indefinitely and hold on to it as a collector. I am interested in the GMMG cat back exhaust because of the quality and the great reviews I have read. I bought the cut out because of how cheap it was for the HP gain. However, I think it would make the car more "special" if it had a nice cat back and why not buy the best? My question is in your opinion how much better would a GMMG cat back sound as far as loudness and tone than a cut out in the “I”pipe?

Secondly, should I even consider getting a true dual set up with stock cats and manifolds?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Your car isn't gonna be a collector or be considered "rare" for a long time. Wayyy to many of them around that are nice. There are thousands just inside ls1tech.com. IMO I would modd it and have fun with it. But if your gonna keep it stock Indefinitely, I wouldn't put anything on it at all since it's gonna sit and COLLECT dust.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Your car isn't gonna be a collector or be considered "rare" for a long time. Wayyy to many of them around that are nice. There are thousands just inside ls1tech.com. IMO I would modd it and have fun with it. But if your gonna keep it stock Indefinitely, I wouldn't put anything on it at all since it's gonna sit and COLLECT dust.
It’s paid off and I will be buying another daily driver or new camaro so I can let the dust sit until hell freezes over =) With only 18,000 miles SLP chrome 10 spoke’s, and SLP(not fake) CME 345HP package it is already rare in my opinion. Not to mention the body, paint, and interior are in like new condition. Go ahead and throw a roll cage in your car and see what it does to you re-sale market. Most people like to buy used STOCK F-bodies.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought my car to have fun with, not for value, although i do keep it in pristine shape to keep the value up, I did NOT buy this car for anyone else but my own enjoyment....not to let it sit around....and a full exhaust is definitally more clean than a cutout. get LT headers, catted y and the gmmg catback but keep those tips, those are probably the nicest looking on camaros
Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ask yourself, will you really sell your f-body one day? I know I won't.

I don't plan to sell it, I don't care how much its worth, and I have modded it to have fun. My car sits in the garage a lot and collects dust since its not my daily but on that nice sunny weekend I'll have it to enjoy.

If you want to get an exhaust, the gmmg with the cme tips is considered imo to be the best of the best as far as setups are concerned.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMMG sounds sexy. I would go with that.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

While I can think of few things I would consider a worse investment than a 4th gen Camaro, its his car to do with what he wants. My cars sit and collect dust because I kill them. When my car runs I love my GMMG, when it was pretty much stock it sounded great, esp. with longtubes. Even if it corks the exhaust on the new LS7 I am still keeping it on the car. That should say something.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my cutout..sold my catback and put a stock SS catback on with a cutout and the only thing i would trade it for would be true duals. It sounds really good and deep with the cutout open and nice and suddle crusing the street whens its closed
Old 06-02-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

then just trow on gmmg becase youll need to hack up your original pipes if you want a cutout...imo i had cutout sounds too loud all the time and has a raspy gassy noise to it plus might loose low end hp and torque (not sure tho).gmmg just sounds loud and a cutout but with no rasp and loud at wot.
plus gmmg make sure u clamp the whole system on and not weld it. esier to remove in the future.
if your ganna keep it original do not hack anything.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by -98-Z28-Darkness-
then just trow on gmmg becase youll need to hack up your original pipes if you want a cutout...imo i had cutout sounds too loud all the time and has a raspy gassy noise to it plus might loose low end hp and torque (not sure tho).gmmg just sounds loud and a cutout but with no rasp and loud at wot.
plus gmmg make sure u clamp the whole system on and not weld it. esier to remove in the future.
if your ganna keep it original do not hack anything.
****?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
I love my cutout..sold my catback and put a stock SS catback on with a cutout and the only thing i would trade it for would be true duals. It sounds really good and deep with the cutout open and nice and suddle crusing the street whens its closed
I have a 3 inch cutout on mine and it sounds great. I keep getting the p0420 code "insufficient catalyst flow bank 1" and the dealership told me it was because of the cutout. The are replacing my cat on drivers side, but said I needed to keep the cutout closed up.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wyattmutigerlaw
I have a 3 inch cutout on mine and it sounds great. I keep getting the p0420 code "insufficient catalyst flow bank 1" and the dealership told me it was because of the cutout. The are replacing my cat on drivers side, but said I needed to keep the cutout closed up.
**** why dont you just try to get a o/r y? I wouldnt pay the dealer for a new cat..they're pretty pricey am i right?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Teching In

There is a gm extension on service of the cat's it is 10 yrs 100K, not costing me a dime. I'm gonna let them put it on then eventually pull it all off and sell it and go with true duals and no cats! But yes, they are somewhat expensive and that's why I'm gonna sell them.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

haha nice bro
Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Launching!

first time you start it with the GMMG you wont even remember wondering if should do it. You will have a tingle in your stomach and a grin on your face that says thats my bad *** car that sounds well.... BAD ***!!! Go for it. You wont regret it at all.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep the stock parts you take off. Problem solved.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
It’s paid off and I will be buying another daily driver or new camaro so I can let the dust sit until hell freezes over =) With only 18,000 miles SLP chrome 10 spoke’s, and SLP(not fake) CME 345HP package it is already rare in my opinion. Not to mention the body, paint, and interior are in like new condition. Go ahead and throw a roll cage in your car and see what it does to you re-sale market. Most people like to buy used STOCK F-bodies.
i have a 2002 collectors edition trans am. this stock is a better collector item. with that being said. it is now getting a built ls3. asp twin kit. built trany. s60 rear. and it is my daily driver.

now i could of sat on mine and done nothing and in 30 years it be worth something. but right now it is worth a hell of a lot to me. like 50k plus to me. but right now don't worry about the vaule. itf you are going to buy a new camaro. let that sit. the first 5gen camaro with no miles on it in ten years will be worth more then your car with 18K.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

leave the cutout. I have an electric cutout with qtp lt, no cats, sounds amazing. I also have the stock cb with a flowmaster muffler so when I want quiet i flick a switch, when I want power and alot of sound i just hit it again.. I love it
Old 06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

GMMG and Bassani are my top choices for catbacks, when price is not a concern.

I don't like the CME at all, appearance wise. I'd pull that off, set it aside incase you ever want to go back to stock, and get a nice catback.

And there is nothing wrong with having a low mileage, limited use F-body that's mostly stock and only driven on special occasions. That's exactly what my '98 car is about. Honestly I don't care about it's value, I keep it nice because I like to.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I'd roll with an electric cut-out, DMH has a great reputation. Its quiet when you want to be cruising around, and you can open it when you want it to scream and have a free flowing exhaust for some more power.
Plus, its cheap too, like 200.00 for the cutout with the DMH on it, and 4 year warrenty.

Not bad man, im going to be buying one real soon, as soon as im settled in from moving for college.

Dave