New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and Spark plugs ??? Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and Spark plugs ??? Please Help!!!

Ok, so I have a 98 Formula Firebird A4 and want to change the headers and plugs. I have a few questions.

1)I have Pacesetter headers, but they dont have the EGR connection, how long does it take to install these headers and plugs? I will be doing this on a lift, so it should be easier than crawling underneath it.

2)If I installed the Y-pipe and headers, will I still be able to use the stock exhaust? Have not had the chance to get a catback yet.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it takes a wile 2 people i say about 4 hours first time...if everything goes well
mostly its just taking the other pieces off and messing with tight bolts and putting bolts.
yeah i believe it will fit a 3 inch exhaust and can be clamped..
you can make a shop put a 3 inch pipe over your 2.75in and weld it so all you have to do is clamp it to the y pipe.
and you can take your air and egr if you have it out to make the engine look cleaner

just dont weld your ypipe to the stock exhuast. clamp it.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say to play it safe, leave yourself atleast 8 hours(pretty much a full day). I did my headers with my car only 20 inches off the ground on jackstands and it took me about 7 hours to get the headers up. That was with me taking my time in the summer heat, but overall it isn't that bad except for the last bolt on both manifolds will take you like a half an hour to get off and on.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

yeah give 8 or so hours. you never know what crap your going to run into. plugs are a bitch, take your time.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

first time took about 2 hours since i had to break the bolts loose, bring PB blaster and a good amount of it, if you can shoot the bolts over night, believe me they are tighter than a virgin. once you get the hang of installing headers, it's a piece of cake takes me 35 minutes to lift the car jack and support remove bolts drop reinstall, tighten bolts drop car.

it's VERY easy. my friend installed his 3 inch TSP ORY pipe to his stock exhaust (i remember becuase i installed a cutout in his I pipe.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

man there sooo much easyer than you think, also i think it is easyer jacked off the ground. it took me 2/half hours by my self
Old 07-05-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

also if you get an aftermarket k member they just fall out lol
Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Regular

It took me about 8 hours to install mine, but that was my first time installing headers and i only had the car jacked up on stands.

You can still use the stock exhaust but don't weld it. I would suggest putting on a cutout while you have everything off, mine cost 35 bucks.