Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tap Tap Tap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tap Tap Tap

My car has developed a Tapping sound when I start it. It's not an exhuast leak, I've already had one of those and this sounds different. It speeds up with the RPM's. Is there a common peiece in the valvetrain that will fail and cause this?

It did not go away after letting the car idle for 5 mins and driving it around my neighborhood a little bit.

EDIT: Also I've had what people told me was a weak lifter for a while. It's a knocking kind of sound that goes away once the car is warm, it doesn't sound like piston slap to me. My dads truck has piston slap and that sounds much different.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lifter?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Launching!

lifters are more of a click click click and piston slap is tap tap tap
Old 08-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Teching In

My car makes a ticking noise i noticed also. but after it warms up for a few minutes it goes away. just a lifter noise i'm sure.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSmafia
My car makes a ticking noise i noticed also. but after it warms up for a few minutes it goes away. just a lifter noise i'm sure.
no its piston slap... most of our cars do that, nothing to worry about

edit: and to the OP if it doesnt go away after its warm, id pull the valve covers and check everything out...
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Before taking anything apart put thicker oil in it and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

good point chapman.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

I've had ticking noises that go away when warmed up. Always sounded like valve train to me. The piston slap noise is a little deeper; doesn't sound like ticking. Well it's hard to describe.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Certain late model vehicles have experienced an audible clattering during cold engine-start that is caused by the piston top striking the cylinder head after combustion chamber deposits build up to a level that exceeds the available clearance between the piston and the head. This clattering is referred to variously as "carbon knock," "carbon rap," "deposit induced noise," and "combustion chamber deposit interference (CCDI)." The audible clattering intensity increases with mileage as deposits continue to accumulate.

Recently, an audible clattering noise has been noticed in some vehicles during cold engine starts, mainly in the U.S. The clattering is referred to by various names, such as "carbon knock," "carbon rap," "mechanical knock" and "combustion chamber deposit interference (CCDI)." CCDI is believed to be caused by the deposit formation in the combustion chamber. In the research described here, CCDI was successfully reproduced in a 2.5-liter multipoint injection engine with a polyolefin amine gasoline additive. It was determined that the CCDI was caused by mechanical contact between the piston top and the cylinder head deposits. The vibration due to CCDI originated mainly at the thrust side of the piston right after top-dead-center on compression stroke and was characterized by a high frequency response.

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/940385

http://www.circlebmw.com/service/bmw...n-cleaning.htm

Last edited by hardball75006; 08-24-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Did it just start recently? Did you just do a tune up or spark lug change?