Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will i gain HP if i cut my muffler off

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Black SS
9 to 9 ..i hope i dont get called white trash , im MEXICAN...................one more vote its up to you
LOL Stranger things have happened!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
a cutout on a stock manifold car can decrease your power. you can ask 01pewter2001z28 what it did to his car. They are tuned for back pressure and when you drastically change that w/o a tune it can do more harm than good. no muffler with cats or w/o sounds like ****. if your not turning that bitch 9k or 10k rpm at the track theres no sense in it. Get a Y and a decent catback and youll have a hell of a good sounding car w/o being called white trash.

I think the cats and crushed up stock Y-straw will offer some backpressure. Mine ran 13.4s with the muffler hacked and a RVT'd lid. I doubt it would have done much better, but who's to say what the next fellows car would do.

Headers, for example. My car didn't gain a DAMN THING with a full exhaust. She's one of the few that can't improve without a tune...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Sure, why not? I've seen plenty people waste money on catbacks that didn't sound all that peachy. Honestly, these cars with nothing but a hacked muffler sound great.

If you're looking into a catback anyway, cut it off before you head to the shop. If you like it, cool. If not, you were planning on a new muffler anyway. It's a win win situation.
i agree with this guy,its whatever you like try both...i have headers running off of a open ory and thats it sounds pretty good but i also have a cam..i get lots of people asking me what kind of true duals i have,and i always say its just running off of the y and they seem amazed sometimes..i am gonna put my duals on it anyways but its been fun with the open y!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Ha ha this thread reminds me of an old sport compact car article where they said they could make a nissan sentra faster then a new porsche without spending any money. Needless to say the sentra was gutted to just a platform drivetrain and one seat. So hey want your camaro to be faster then a zo6 for free??? get the hacksaw ready.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Launching!

i know its not going to make it a 11 second car all i want is to squeeze out has much power as i can till i get headers , cat back ,heads ,cam gears,ls1tech.com sticker,and tune , hopefully i can get in the mid 12's with that if so ill be happy , and if i want to go faster then mid 12's ill just get nitrous on top of all that

Last edited by Big Black SS; 08-27-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn right!! that sticker is probably gonna be the biggest and best mod you listed!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
a cutout on a stock manifold car can decrease your power. you can ask 01pewter2001z28 what it did to his car. They are tuned for back pressure and when you drastically change that w/o a tune it can do more harm than good. no muffler with cats or w/o sounds like ****. if your not turning that bitch 9k or 10k rpm at the track theres no sense in it. Get a Y and a decent catback and youll have a hell of a good sounding car w/o being called white trash.
lol, i am sorry but this is not true. Our cars will pick up 1/10 and 1 mph with a catback (no tune) many of which flow just as much as a cutout. So to say you will run slower is simply not true.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

read my sig i gained 1mph off of the cut out. it's been proven to me personally sorry.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Launching!

not to mention the weight that is comming off ,that should help . cant wait to do it
Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to mention the weight that is comming off ,that should help . cant wait to do it
when you do it there will be a place in the i pipe where it bends upwards to go over the rear axle cut it there once it has gone up a few inches. Because you will be able to turn it upside down and you will have an exhaust dump. let me know if you dont understand.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know its not going to make it a 11 second car all i want is to squeeze out has much power as i can till i get headers , cat back ,heads ,cam gears,ls1tech.com sticker,and tune , hopefully i can get in the mid 12's with that if so ill be happy , and if i want to go faster then mid 12's ill just get nitrous on top of all that
You list an LS1Tech Sticker as a mod?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ he was using that as a joke..a ricer joke!!it made me laugh
Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Launching!

yeah it was a joke .......so cut it at the angle where its comming down?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it was a joke .......so cut it at the angle where its comming down?
well you can use your own judgement but if you look at the i pipe right as it starts to angle up to go over the rear axle is where you need to cut it. So in stock location with your catback still on you will cut it where it cruves up just a little. Then once you cut through it turn it 180* and it will be dumped for you so it does not blow hot exhaust on the bottom of your car or on your rear axle.
Do you know what a dump is? Like an exhaust turndown.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

dont listen to the one above me. bigblackss is talking about where to cut it to remove the muffler and 180ls1 your talking about where to cut it for a cut out. bigblackss yes cut it so the pipe will be facing the ground so there's no chance of the exhaust just canstantly beating on anything.( a friend put a glasspack on a 4cyl 5spd ranger and thought it would be a good idea to put the turndown up facing out of his drive tire so when he did burnouts it would blow the smoke away....Next 2-3days his e brake cable melted lol) i had a 1994 mark viii and i cut the mufflers off right as the pipes were facing down, sounded great looked better without the tips as will yours. and when you put a cutout out behind the rear or remove the muffler you really dont get as much interior noise. my 02 camaro with a spintech(got a whole catback with stainless tips for free) was loud as hell inside and that was still full exhaust.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

I say just remove all exhaust right up to the exhaust manifolds and put some of that auto parts flex pipe right out the side of your door with coat hangers,(joking). I personally have a cut out and hate how it sounds. I only open it at the track. I like my set up with the magnaflow,ory and mac mids much better.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

all im going to say is please dont be that guy
Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=chevrunner21;10007994]dont listen to the one above me. bigblackss is talking about where to cut it to remove the muffler and 180ls1 your talking about where to cut it for a cut out. QUOTE]

whatever dude but you are completely wrong. Try reading again i know it is hard but please do it before you say i am wrong and not to listen to me. That happens to be the same location as a cutout but i nevet said to use one since the poster does not want one.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan02
Ha ha this thread reminds me of an old sport compact car article where they said they could make a nissan sentra faster then a new porsche without spending any money. Needless to say the sentra was gutted to just a platform drivetrain and one seat. So hey want your camaro to be faster then a zo6 for free??? get the hacksaw ready.
Ha ha, i read that about 5 years ago, they took a white sentra and cut the whole body off...To the OP, try removing your cats and leaving your mufflers, my friend did it with his TA, which was loud as *****, but stilll kinda toned. If your looking for a SLP y-pipe that bolts to a stock car, let me know, i have one
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=180ls1;10009375]
Originally Posted by chevrunner21
dont listen to the one above me. bigblackss is talking about where to cut it to remove the muffler and 180ls1 your talking about where to cut it for a cut out. QUOTE]

whatever dude but you are completely wrong. Try reading again i know it is hard but please do it before you say i am wrong and not to listen to me. That happens to be the same location as a cutout but i nevet said to use one since the poster does not want one.
i now get what you mean but basically it sounds like more work than you have to for nothing. cut it off where its already aiming down dont waste your time turning it and save your money for a real exhaust. i only did a cutout because it was cheap and sounds great when i got the spare cash im gonna worry about a cat back.you can just make one cut and its done. plus with the cut after the rear you dont get as much interior noise. and dont get cocky i misunderstood it my bad but now that i get it it's still more work thats not needed.

Quick Reply: will i gain HP if i cut my muffler off