New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kenne bell question and general info.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kenne bell question and general info.

Well guys this is not my first time here. I was here a few years ago but forgot all my info. Here goes though. I just got an 01 sunset orange or what ever orange metallic color that is WS6 trans am. It has 54k and i got off original owner. He was a detail shop owner so the inside looks good. However tha car is a 6 speed and all stock save for modified flowmaster and k&n panel filter. This thing is a turd totally. At wide open shifts i lose clutch pedal, not the holding power just pedal stays on floor. From a roll i can stomp it in first and it just accellerates, no black marks. Runs decent but like an lt1 car not a ls1. WTF guys? I have owned 9 of these cars and this is the slowest by far. My old 98 SS with 3.23 automatic would smoke this thing,no joke. No knocks or anything stupid other than a broken engine mount. I bet the vibration from the engine is making the timing hit the knock sensor. This thing is beautiful. I get compliments from people all the time. It also has a pro 50 shifter. Now i can dump the clutch and get a pretty good rubber but damn i have had several 6 speed ls1 cars that would get rubber from a roll in second gear.

Now before i go any further i am doing several projects and own a body shop. One project is a kenne bell 6.0 iron block lsx 70 trans am. No clone a real trans am. I also am doing a couple 69 camaros in lsx engines. Now i have seen a couple magnacharged camaros on the net and was wondering about a kenne bell WS6. I am a body man and cutting of the cowl is an option. Would this thing not be cool? Any opinions? I have a ls1 on the stand built with forged internals for a turbo but i was thinking of going the kenne bell route and run the **** off the stocker till it blows just to see how it will stand up. Then install the forged short block.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badlsx69
Well guys this is not my first time here. I was here a few years ago but forgot all my info. Here goes though. I just got an 01 sunset orange or what ever orange metallic color that is WS6 trans am. It has 54k and i got off original owner. He was a detail shop owner so the inside looks good. However tha car is a 6 speed and all stock save for modified flowmaster and k&n panel filter. This thing is a turd totally. At wide open shifts i lose clutch pedal, not the holding power just pedal stays on floor. From a roll i can stomp it in first and it just accellerates, no black marks. Runs decent but like an lt1 car not a ls1. WTF guys? I have owned 9 of these cars and this is the slowest by far. My old 98 SS with 3.23 automatic would smoke this thing,no joke. No knocks or anything stupid other than a broken engine mount. I bet the vibration from the engine is making the timing hit the knock sensor. This thing is beautiful. I get compliments from people all the time. It also has a pro 50 shifter. Now i can dump the clutch and get a pretty good rubber but damn i have had several 6 speed ls1 cars that would get rubber from a roll in second gear.

Now before i go any further i am doing several projects and own a body shop. One project is a kenne bell 6.0 iron block lsx 70 trans am. No clone a real trans am. I also am doing a couple 69 camaros in lsx engines. Now i have seen a couple magnacharged camaros on the net and was wondering about a kenne bell WS6. I am a body man and cutting of the cowl is an option. Would this thing not be cool? Any opinions? I have a ls1 on the stand built with forged internals for a turbo but i was thinking of going the kenne bell route and run the **** off the stocker till it blows just to see how it will stand up. Then install the forged short block.
you wont spin the tires in second on any stock ls1 car with out dumping the clutch, and from a roll you wont lay black marks on ANY stock ls1 without dumping the clutch, all it will do is break them loose, or wheel hop (depending at what rpm you go WOT) but no way you will lay black marks. sounds like a typical stock ls1. not a turd, your just used to faster. also these cars are faster than they feel since they make their power up top. about a KB ws6, yea it'd be cool, but i dont think its possible to fit one in there, not only because of the cowl but the glass as well.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to LS1tech.

A few months ago GM High Tech Performance did a writeup on turbos and S/C available. Supposedly, KB is working on an F body version. Keep us updated.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw APS or a custom twin turbo ALL THE WAY. Chances are most you would have problems with heatsoak from a roots type blower.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Teching In

another problem i have is my 6.0 1500 hd truck. I bought this thing used and its a turd too. My god its got a 6 litre! It should run killer. My old 5.3 ext. cab Z71 had more than this truck has. Mods are electric fans, filter charger. My local dealership thinks the cats are stopped up. He says common problem. any input on this also?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badlsx69
another problem i have is my 6.0 1500 hd truck. I bought this thing used and its a turd too. My god its got a 6 litre! It should run killer. My old 5.3 ext. cab Z71 had more than this truck has. Mods are electric fans, filter charger. My local dealership thinks the cats are stopped up. He says common problem. any input on this also?
gm does have problems with cats stopping up, and believe me when it really stops up, you'll know... and of course its a turd... its a truck (j/k for all you tbss guys)
Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu
gm does have problems with cats stopping up, and believe me when it really stops up, you'll know... and of course its a turd... its a truck (j/k for all you tbss guys)
Well what i am getting at is i own a 05 denali and my friend has a 2500 hd pickup with same engine and he can pull me hard. Now i know the denali has more compression but damn it feels like a 100 horse difference. The old 5.3 truck i had was incredibly powerfully, no kidding. I am running the same gear and better mods. I can get out run by a 97 ford expedition. Get the picture now?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, the LQ9 is no joke. They run like a mother f#cker! I drive my a Sierra VHO almost every day (its like a Silverado without the AWD) and it has longtube headers, catback, and a intake and I've actually outran everything from WRXs to Corvettes (yes, plural, neither could drive a 6 speed though) to a RX8. A truck that runs high 13s is no joke...