New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a tune fix all my A/F issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a tune fix all my A/F issues?

For the longest time my power steering pump had a leak, and leaked all over the driver side primary O2 sensor connector. I went through two new O2s before I realized the male side of the O2 connector was dirty. Recently, my PS pump magically stopped leaking, so I used some Q-tips and some electronic cleaner to try and clean the sensor connector, but that only remedied the issue for a while.

The car seems to be running rich because of the dirty O2 sensor connector. Even with stock cats, it smells during idle, and there's soot all over the rear exhaust tips. It's also throwing a SES light and code for that particular O2 (even though it's not the O2 that has a problem).

Question - can I just send the car to a speed shop and get it tuned?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

if its the rear O2's, yes. if its the front O2's they will still need to be functioning properly, even with a good tune.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

So can't have a SES light before going into tune?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea you can, they will be able to tell you whats wrong and how to fix it if its O2's
Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good tune can fix a lot . though if the o2 is not going to read right you will still have the same problem .
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm confused as to how the power steering pump leaked on something a few feet away from it.

Get a can of brake cleaner and spray it all over/in the connector, the fluid will practically melt right out of it, then the brake cleaner will dry up and leave it very clean.

A tune will not account for a poorly functioning O2.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
I'm confused as to how the power steering pump leaked on something a few feet away from it.

Get a can of brake cleaner and spray it all over/in the connector, the fluid will practically melt right out of it, then the brake cleaner will dry up and leave it very clean.

yup, thats what i was trying to say in previous post
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After cleaning the connector, as Jesse (SDPC) mentioned, unplug the battery for at least 20 minutes to clear any learned fuel trims. It is running rich because of faulty reading from your faulty O2 connector, which the computer misunderstood as a lean condition and tried to add more fuel. Once the issue is resolved, you will be good to go. No tune needed, unless you realy want to.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 12secSS
After cleaning the connector, as Jesse (SDPC) mentioned, unplug the battery for at least 20 minutes to clear any learned fuel trims. It is running rich because of faulty reading from your faulty O2 connector, which the computer misunderstood as a lean condition and tried to add more fuel. Once the issue is resolved, you will be good to go. No tune needed, unless you realy want to.
hmm that gets me thinking... i seem to be running rich after i installed my cutout, would this help?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 406malibu
hmm that gets me thinking... i seem to be running rich after i installed my cutout, would this help?
Possibly, because the ECU will have to re-learn the long and short term fuel trims. However, you would need to drive for a long time with the cutout open in order to optomize the fuel trims for the cutout.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

It leaked down the line to the O2 connector. They're are not a few feet apart (more like inches).

Well, I was driving today and my SES went away. I'll drive around some more.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by newton
It leaked down the line to the O2 connector. They're are not a few feet apart (more like inches).

Well, I was driving today and my SES went away. I'll drive around some more.
Don't you try to fool me with your cunning ways and slanty eyes. I know the power steering is in the front of the engine and the O2s are behind it. I've never seen a V8 that was only a few inches front to back, even when counting in Yen.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't you try to fool me with your cunning ways and slanty eyes. I know the power steering is in the front of the engine and the O2s are behind it. I've never seen a V8 that was only a few inches front to back, even when counting in Yen.
I was counting in Amurican.