New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge error in thinking by most people on this site (shorty headers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
If you pay $718 for shorty headers you are an idiot, it's really that simple.
Agreed, shorties are a waste of time, money and effort. Sorry op, this thread did not deliver.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Op, all that matters man is that you're happy w/ the money you spent...don't pay att'n to all the haters.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
I wish I had the time and money to do a before and after, I'd be the one laughing If I wanted to do anything with this thread, which I havn't said already, it was to disprove the 1-2 hp myth.
But you havn't proven anything. The Butt-O-Meter has been known to be off from time to time.

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
I think it's kinda shady nobody here believes dyno graphs however. Anytime I see a dyno graph, be like, nope didn't happen. "You just saw my car do the dyno pull then I showed you the dyno graph on the screen". Your lying, that was another car; you just pulled up another cars dyno graph on the computer.. "I also have time slips" those could be faked with a 1970 calculator and the video edited with a mac...
I think manufactures are kind of shady sometimes in an effort to sell more products. When I looked at that dyno graph I saw a 273 rwhp base run. That number is low even for a 99 auto. Stock cars should dyno at least 285 rwhp.

So I have to wonder why it's so low. My guess is the A/F ratio is off. So they take a weak base run, then put on shorties, then tweak the A/F and BAM.....15 rwhp gained. But odds are 9-10 of that was from the tuning while 5-6 was from the actual headers. But this way the numbers look fantastic for advertising purposes.

Sorry but I have to take that dyno graph with a grain of salt. The actual gains from shorties "should" be less then 10 rwhp with 98-99 getting a little more out of them then 00-02 vehicles would.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Butt-o-meter < Dyno/Trap Speed

Old 09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Originally Posted by kc533
Op, all that matters man is that you're happy w/ the money you spent...don't pay att'n to all the haters.
No one here is "hating", this has nothing to do with that. All we're saying is that how something feels to one person is not enough to *prove* significant gains. Did he gain power? I'm sure he did. Was it a lot of power? Doubtful.

Originally Posted by darrensls1
But you havn't proven anything. The Butt-O-Meter has been known to be off from time to time.

I think manufactures are kind of shady sometimes in an effort to sell more products. When I looked at that dyno graph I saw a 273 rwhp base run. That number is low even for a 99 auto. Stock cars should dyno at least 285 rwhp.

So I have to wonder why it's so low. My guess is the A/F ratio is off. So they take a weak base run, then put on shorties, then tweak the A/F and BAM.....15 rwhp gained. But odds are 9-10 of that was from the tuning while 5-6 was from the actual headers. But this way the numbers look fantastic for advertising purposes.

Sorry but I have to take that dyno graph with a grain of salt. The actual gains from shorties "should" be less then 10 rwhp with 98-99 getting a little more out of them then 00-02 vehicles would.
Agreed, and time to put this one to rest.

Quick Reply: Huge error in thinking by most people on this site (shorty headers)