Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice before I spray the first time....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice before I spray the first time....

I just completed installing a barely used HSW wet system on my camaro today, also installed the dynotune TPS window switch and heater. Put TR6 plugs in, used my predator to take timing down to 24 degrees at WOT. Heater is working fine, all electrical seems to be 100% ok. I programmed the window switch, no issues there. I have the window switch set at 3000 rpms, and it is also programmed to spray only at WOT.

My question, before I hit the spray, is there anyway to make sure both solenoids are working properly? I have used nitrous some in the past, far from an expert. SInce I bought this kit used, no idea if both solenoids are working as they should.

I will watch spark, fuel, knock on my predator when I hit the spray, I just want to make sure I do what I can prior to make sure the system is working ok.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect your fuel supply line, turn your bottle off, activate the switch, hold your WOT switch with your hand and feel of the noids to make sure they are clicking when you hit the WOT switch.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Teching In

I dont have a physical WOT switch, I am using TPS WOT setting on my window switch. which I think is looking at WOT voltage. If I manually move the throttle to WOT with the motor off but the power on, will it sense the WOT and turn the solenoids on? Or since it is also activated at 3000 rpms, do I need to have the car running and get it over 300 rpms?

I wil turn off bottle and unplug the fuel before I do anthing, but still unsure exactly how to tes this????
Old 11-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

I turned the RPMs on on the window switch on at 2k, unhooked my fuel, shutoff the bottle, started to car, hit the throttle by hand to WOT, kept my hand on the solenoids - it was too loud to hear anything, really difficult to feel them if they clicked on our not.

Next I will shut the TPS WOT switch off, just let it activate on the rpms only. Keep fuel and Nitrous off - at 2000 rpms, engine should be low enough to hear/feel the solenoids click.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I answered my own question - last test worked perfectly, the solenoids noticeably clicked. Here I go.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Also turn off traction control and set an upper limit on the window switch before the limiter if you have the option
Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Good info. I was also curious.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The correct procedure is to set the window switch to 0, pull the fuel pump relay or dedicated standalone relay, have the bottle off, put the key in the on position and go WOT at the TB (if it's not a FBW) or at the gas pedal. This will allow you to hear the noids clicking without the engine noise, unless you have a fuel pressure safety switch (which usually cause more trouble than they are worth).
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigcraig987
Also turn off traction control and set an upper limit on the window switch before the limiter if you have the option
I am in the procees of putting in a Dynotune dry kit, thought I had all the safety bases covered and missed the TCS system. Seems to me, if you leave the TCS system on, start to spin the wheels, the computer cuts fuel flow, and then you don't have to worry about traction any more, just a tow to a garage, sound about right? (sorry for the)
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Skyranger
Seems to me, if you leave the TCS system on, start to spin the wheels, the computer cuts fuel flow, and then you don't have to worry about traction any more, just a tow to a garage, sound about right? (sorry for the)
I am not sure about how the TCS system functions, but that was my concern to why I make sure that it is turned off before I spray and similarly why I set an upper limit on my window switch to a few hundred RPM below redline in case the trans slips and it bounces of limiter cutting fuel and ending the day with a bang
Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Teching In

TCS thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ntrol-off.html
Old 12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Good find. I had looked around but I did not look for threads that old.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

hook it up to ur purge line or test it them with a toggle switch