Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to test solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to test solenoids

When i bought my car a wet shot kit was already installed but it hadn't been used for a long time...

Now i want to start to use it in the spring

I am wondering how do i check to make sure that everything works right without blowin' it?

mainly the solenoids. should i just replace them and be on the safe side?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by GOR1LA
When i bought my car a wet shot kit was already installed but it hadn't been used for a long time...

I am wondering how do i check to make sure that everything works right without blowin' it?

How old are the solenoids? Since you do not know the history of the Solenoids I would rebuild them at the least. Figure $15 per solenoid to prevent a potential heap of trouble down the road is worth it.

Dean
Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a quick, easy way to check the solenoids. They are magnetic. Unhook the bottle and fuel line and turn the window switch off. Arm the system, and while holding a knife (or something metallic) over the top of the solenoid hit the switch. The knife should get pulled to the solenoid if it's working right.

However, like stated above, if you don't know much about them you might just want to get them rebuilt to be safe.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
There is a quick, easy way to check the solenoids. They are magnetic. Unhook the bottle and fuel line and turn the window switch off. Arm the system, and while holding a knife (or something metallic) over the top of the solenoid hit the switch. The knife should get pulled to the solenoid if it's working right.

How does this check to ensure theres no trash in them to cause them to stick open?

If you want to check it, just hook everything up, hold the nozzle towards some small animal you don't like, and test it. Bottle closed first, the bottle open....its not a difficult process.

-Will
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Launching!

yes i am most worried about junk being in the solenoids! Should i just buy new solenoids or rebuild them?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TARZAN
How does this check to ensure theres no trash in them to cause them to stick open?

If you want to check it, just hook everything up, hold the nozzle towards some small animal you don't like, and test it. Bottle closed first, the bottle open....its not a difficult process.

-Will
It doesn't. He asked how to tell how if they still worked.

But yeah, to make sure the junk is out of them, what you said.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

or you could just take them apart and look

all it takes is the right tool.

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=1515
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the fuel solenoid, I would be worried about the nitrous solenoid, especially if it has a rubber plunger. Fuel vapors kill the rubber plungers. They might work, but if the plunger is bad, it won't flow enough nitrous. You can have the solenoid flow tested, or you can try out the kit and see if it works. If it busts up, you'll be needing a new plunger in the nitrous solenoid.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Its a relatively painless process to take the solenoids apart to inspect them. Feel free to shoot me over a PM and I'll walk you through it if need be. You won't need any special tools either...you can just double nut the towers to back them out. Just pay attention to the internal parts.

Nick
Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

The tool just makes it easier.......If the right tools didn't make a difference an adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers is all you would need to work on your car.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Alright thanks guys whenever it stops snowing out and gets about 20 ill try and pm u guys and get a few tips..
Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Alright thanks guys whenever it stops snowing out and gets about 20 ill try and pm u guys and get a few tips..
No problem! We just got hit with 60*'s today...kind of strange for the northeast.

Nick
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
No problem! We just got hit with 60*'s today...kind of strange for the northeast.

Nick
HEY...we want our warm weather back...it was 28* when I went outside this morning
Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
HEY...we want our warm weather back...it was 28* when I went outside this morning
You can have your warm weather, it was 18 degrees the day before and now 60, i cant deal with that crap
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

I hate the big swings also
Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here you go!

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...D%20REPAIR.pdf

Dean

Quick Reply: how to test solenoids