Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hav you checked you noids lately????look inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I run a dry shot, there is no way that could ever happen. NOS by itself is not flammable. With a dry shot I can spray it with the engine off and then fire it right up without a problem. There are some drawbacks to a dry kit but safety is IS NOT one of them.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:54 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trophystock
This is why I run a dry shot, there is no way that could ever happen. NOS by itself is not flammable. With a dry shot I can spray it with the engine off and then fire it right up without a problem. There are some drawbacks to a dry kit but safety is IS NOT one of them.

you are dead wrong about that. this is what happend when a 50shot(dry) sprayed for just a few seconds without my engine running. then i turned the key.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Saw the other thread linking it to this. Ill stick with N/A.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

According to LS1GTO board it was a dry shot.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

exactly how was your nitrous set up? with the standard dry shot where the nozzle is well before the TB when you spray the nitrous it will simply expand inside the air box and push out into the atmosphere, just like your purge. When you fire up the motor you will have a very small amount of air moving through your IAC and your Nitrous has simply dissipated by then. It turns from a liquid to a gas so fast it cannot travel through you IAC as a liquid. Trust me, I have done it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well...

all he has to do his pull his motor and put it in something else..

all cosmetic damage isnt as bad.. hes out of luck with insurance company..

but im sure he will drop that motor in something lite and really be flying..
Old 03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

I dare you to try that just kidding, dont ever spray a car without the engine running. Dosent matter what kind of kit you have.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
I dare you to try that just kidding, dont ever spray a car without the engine running. Dosent matter what kind of kit you have.
I have already done, it really not an issue. Think about what happens to nitrous as soon as it leaves the solenoid, it expands instantly. Fuel on the other hand will lay in your intake just waiting to go boom. I say a guys micro switch melt and stick his nitrous solenoid open the entire way back on the return road, he simply emptied his bottle. Car ran like crap as the MAF sensor was very confused but no issues with the motor. The nitrous simply expands to quickly in the airbox. This is why a dry (before the MAF) kit sometimes doesn't hit like a wet kit. The nitrous will expand and actually start to displace the air that the motor would naturally be consuming.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Fuel puddling in the intake would not cause this......Then this would have happened to me many times when my needle and seat stuck on my old holley and filled the intake with fuel... Nope that didnt happen it just wouldnt start as Liquid fuel doesnt burn easily and needs lots of air to burn....Now if you have N20 in the intake and a small amount of fuel with spark....BOOM like pictured.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by parish8
you are dead wrong about that. this is what happend when a 50shot(dry) sprayed for just a few seconds without my engine running. then i turned the key.

Something's missing from that picture, just can't put my finger on it....LoL.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn. I won't even try to report that to the insurance company unless I was reporting it stolen. I hope he can just get another long block and start over.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
Damn. I won't even try to report that to the insurance company unless I was reporting it stolen. I hope he can just get another long block and start over.
i talked to him about that.. he is going to scrap the body and put the longblock in a miata.. just has to resleeve it..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
just found one of those ball valve kits..
not sure if any of the sponsors carry it

Steve Johnson sells them and reccomended the one on his site. Not sure what brand it is but it's stout and he said it's sized perfectly for for the line. A large quality guage also because the tiny bottle mounted guages are lame

http://www.induction-solutions.com/products.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
According to LS1GTO board it was a dry shot.
well that throws my 2 cents out the window.

i guess us dry guys aren't safe from johnny tran either...
Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Staging Lane

well that throws my 2 cents out the window.

i guess us dry guys aren't safe from johnny tran either...
Has anybody confirmed what type of kit and where the nozzle was located? If it was a dry kit before the maf, I just cannot see a leaking (small amount) of nitrous into the air box would somehow travel up the air tract, past the TB and somehow turn back to a liquid and "puddle" in the intake versus just evaporating and going out the air cleaner in the atmosphere which is much closer. I guess I might be wrong but I donot see it.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shoulder Shaker
Don't give up on insurance!!!!
The nearly exact same thing happened to me in my 05 GTO, and I was re-imbursed in full by my insurance company. It took about 8 months, and they tried to put up a fight but eventually did pay.

The loop hole in my policy was that I had no insurance while racing, but I was on the return road when mine poped, (and he was in the staging lanes). And since the track in only a 1/4 mile long, and he wasn't on it, then he would be covered.. under the policy I had anyway. Plus there is no modification restrictions, so there is nothing wrong or illegal with having N20. I told them everything exactly as it happened, didn't withhold any info, and didn't lie about a thing, and eventally got paid, (with the help of a lawyer, and the state of NH's dept. of insurance).

Last edited by 860 Performance; 03-03-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anybody confirmed what type of kit and where the nozzle was located? If it was a dry kit before the maf, I just cannot see a leaking (small amount) of nitrous into the air box would somehow travel up the air tract, past the TB and somehow turn back to a liquid and "puddle" in the intake versus just evaporating and going out the air cleaner in the atmosphere which is much closer. I guess I might be wrong but I donot see it.

there are a lot of diferent ways to set up a dry kit. mine was after the tb with the extra fuel added by the injectors and no maf. most aftermarket computers have this option.

the nitrous wont turn back into liquid

my truck was drive by wire and the throttle blade is open a fair amount when the truck was off.

an entire air box and ducting full of nitrous taken into the engine and all going into whatever intake valve is open at the time then adding a small amount of fuel = boom.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Teching In

It was a dry kit AFTER the MAF from what ive heard. I was there(Not Friday but Saturday) Im teh one that posted it up on LS2GTO and the people i talked to at the track said it was a dry kit after the MAF.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must have been a WET kit..
fuel must have been spraying into that intake for a while.

why? Dry kits do backfire also( we have had a few). a leaking nitrous noid would do the same thing.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You and about 5 other guys in here are wrong and just spreading crap. If just the n20 is leaking as soon as you hit the ignition it primes the pump and puts enough fuel in the intake tract for a very big explosion. as soon as the first spark plug hits boom. We have dry kits and they do backfire. If it was an electrical problem and the kit was armed spraying fuel and nitrous It would not matter wet vs dry. On a dry kit if its armed on start up its going to dump the fuel in when you crank it.

Quick Reply: Hav you checked you noids lately????look inside