Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hav you checked you noids lately????look inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trophystock
I have already done, it really not an issue. Think about what happens to nitrous as soon as it leaves the solenoid, it expands instantly. Fuel on the other hand will lay in your intake just waiting to go boom. I say a guys micro switch melt and stick his nitrous solenoid open the entire way back on the return road, he simply emptied his bottle. Car ran like crap as the MAF sensor was very confused but no issues with the motor. The nitrous simply expands to quickly in the airbox. This is why a dry (before the MAF) kit sometimes doesn't hit like a wet kit. The nitrous will expand and actually start to displace the air that the motor would naturally be consuming.

Wrong. first off any dry nozzle i have installed needs to be poitned at the maf so its going to spray directly into the motor. it will gather and not disipate like you say cause its a sealed invoronment except if its backing out. If its activly leaking when you hit the key it would not have had enough time to disipate. think about it if it did then nitrous kits in the air filter would not work.
Old 03-03-2009 | 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

A leaking nitrous solenoid will do this no matter what type of system you are running. Ether way, nitrous isn't flammable, so the more fuel present, the bigger the boom. During the starting cycle the injectors fire extra cranking fuel and the manifold vacuum created by cranking vaporizes the fuel and pulls it into the plenum area. The same vacuum can pull burning fuel out of a chamber and up the intake port to the plenum. The more camshaft overlap there is, the easier this happens because the engine is turning so slow. Misfires are also common during cranking because of the slow engine speed and a lack of heat in the chamber.

The best failsafe I know of is to start the car with an ignition kill switch. You spin the engine over a few times before turning the spark on.
Old 03-03-2009 | 09:29 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

This is why I run a dry shot, there is no way that could ever happen. NOS by itself is not flammable. With a dry shot I can spray it with the engine off and then fire it right up without a problem. There are some drawbacks to a dry kit but safety is IS NOT one of them.
WRONG

Dry Backfire

-Chris

Last edited by Chris@NitroDaves; 03-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2009 | 09:51 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
According to LS1GTO board it was a dry shot.

You da man Vinny
Old 03-03-2009 | 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
You and about 5 other guys in here are wrong and just spreading crap. If just the n20 is leaking as soon as you hit the ignition it primes the pump and puts enough fuel in the intake tract for a very big explosion. as soon as the first spark plug hits boom. We have dry kits and they do backfire. If it was an electrical problem and the kit was armed spraying fuel and nitrous It would not matter wet vs dry. On a dry kit if its armed on start up its going to dump the fuel in when you crank it.
we are firm subscribers to the belief that nitrous itself is not flammable... so much that we ignore this scenario that you describe.

im gonna go ahead and delete a few posts in this thread before grabbing some lunch...

Last edited by BobDoLe; 03-03-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2009 | 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

nitrous in a vacume is not flamable. it is an acelerant which means it makes gas more flamable. Making it easyer to burn and lean is very easy to burn. so when the nitrous fills the intake and a little fuel is introduced it makes a bomb when the plug fires.
Old 03-03-2009 | 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Go out to the garage and get your bottle out and crack it open a little, now, when you close the bottle where is your lingering cloud of nitrous? Now get a short hose and turn a 5 gal bucket over and spray some nitrous under the bucket, turn the bucket over and guess what....no lingering cloud of nitrous. The air box is extremely well vented as it moves enough air to let your motor breath right? well it lets the nitrous out just as fast. now keep in mind everybody is talking about a leaking solenoid, how bad was it leaking? could it have been leaking so bad that somehow the air box could provide a restriction to it? Dry nitrous works because of the speed of the air traveling through the intake tube carries it into the motor, when the TB closed it doesn't force its way past the TB, it simply goes out the air box as fast as it comes out the nozzle. If this was a dry kit after the MAF, was the nozzle installed after the TB? Give me till next weekend and I will post up a video. I am not saying that his car wasn't a dry kit or am I saying that somehow it can not backfire, but I will guarantee you can spray it into the airbox with the motor off (spray a 100 shot, not a small leak). then fire the motor up will no ill effects. Just got to have a little faith on this one guys.
Old 03-03-2009 | 04:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Go out to the garage and get your bottle out and crack it open a little, now, when you close the bottle where is your lingering cloud of nitrous? Now get a short hose and turn a 5 gal bucket over and spray some nitrous under the bucket, turn the bucket over and guess what....no lingering cloud of nitrous. The air box is extremely well vented as it moves enough air to let your motor breath right? well it lets the nitrous out just as fast. now keep in mind everybody is talking about a leaking solenoid, how bad was it leaking? could it have been leaking so bad that somehow the air box could provide a restriction to it? Dry nitrous works because of the speed of the air traveling through the intake tube carries it into the motor, when the TB closed it doesn't force its way past the TB, it simply goes out the air box as fast as it comes out the nozzle. If this was a dry kit after the MAF, was the nozzle installed after the TB? Give me till next weekend and I will post up a video. I am not saying that his car wasn't a dry kit or am I saying that somehow it can not backfire, but I will guarantee you can spray it into the airbox with the motor off (spray a 100 shot, not a small leak). then fire the motor up will no ill effects. Just got to have a little faith on this one guys.
you are stupid, cant wait for this video.
Old 03-03-2009 | 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by parish8
you are stupid, cant wait for this video.
Want to place some money on this? How about $1, if I can get everybody who thinks that I am crazy, idiot, stupid, ect. to agree to send $1 to my payapl if the video is of good quality/proof. If I am wrong, everybody gets a good video of a fireball, explosion or small nuclear meltdown.
Old 03-03-2009 | 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Put a nozzle directly in front of the throttle body. Take the plunger in the solenoid and smack it on the seat until it gets a good groove in. Then turn the bottle on and see if it leaks. When it does wait a couple of minutes and start the car. I can promise you it will explode the intake. I have fixed manifold from PRO MOD cars all the way to stock junk after this exact scenario.

225-343-9029
Old 03-03-2009 | 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Want to place some money on this? How about $1, if I can get everybody who thinks that I am crazy, idiot, stupid, ect. to agree to send $1 to my payapl if the video is of good quality/proof. If I am wrong, everybody gets a good video of a fireball, explosion or small nuclear meltdown.
I got $500 that you will blow something up my friend. If you are so sure about this how about you put your face by the intake when somebody turns the key? Not so sure now are you? Take that vid and post it on here.
Old 03-03-2009 | 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i first jumped on the nitrous bandwagon a few years ago, i had a v6 camaro and had a habit of leaving the bottle open. solenoid developed a slow leak (maybe from heat, constant pressure from the nitrous, crappy noids, or all of the above) and one morning after letting the car sit for a few days, as i was turning the car over, i did get a small pop that distinctly sounded like it was came out of the intake manifold... no damage even to the maf from that.

this dry backfire stuff is not impossible (i just didn't realize it can NUKE the engine compartment).
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I got $500 that you will blow something up my friend. If you are so sure about this how about you put your face by the intake when somebody turns the key? Not so sure now are you? Take that vid and post it on here.
$500 WOW, don't really want to take your 500 but I will take a buck from you for sure. When you think about nitrous, it is 36% oxygen where as air is 20%. granted 36 is allot more then 20 but it is not a super rich oxygen mixture hence the reason it by itself is nonflammable. The real power increase as we know is the fact the nitrous is very dense when it enters the motor so we get allot of those oxygen molecules in there. I will find all my stock stuff and set up a airbox, maf, intake tube and tb on a bench and spray into the airbox and you'll see how nothing much if any at all goes past the TB. Please keep in mind I have done this before so I know what happens. Faith my friend, I would put my C5 in any danger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DRN3hdlwaM
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Now see you didn't say that. Everybody will agree with me on here that they want you to put up a vid of a dry shot spraying into the air intract for 5 seconds and soon as you are done spraying we want you to start the car and see if it goes. If it does we win a buck from you.

We dont want you putting an air box together and showing how nitrous dissipates.
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

No, I said I would spray into my air box using the kit that I currently use, installed like I run at the track then I will fire the car right up period, you owe me a buck. For an extra sideshow, I will get my stock stuff up and show how good of a job the TB blocks the nitrous from entering the motor. Two videos for the price of one, buck that is.
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, I said I would spray into my air box using the kit that I currently use, installed like I run at the track then I will fire the car right up period, you owe me a buck. For an extra sideshow, I will get my stock stuff up and show how good of a job the TB blocks the nitrous from entering the motor. Two videos for the price of one, buck that is.
Don't do this.
As tempting as internet arguing is, step back and really think about what your doing, also think about the last time you were wrong about something.
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

No let him do it. It like a kid touching an electrical socket for the first time, he/she will never do it again. We can all admit that we have to learn the hard way about some things most of it being women.

Lets see what happens. A buck will be cheaper than going to the movies to see action.
Old 03-03-2009 | 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont care what the outcome.. i hope he doesnt lose his engine for his sake.. either outcome will be funny though..
Old 03-03-2009 | 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemons12
i dont care what the outcome.. i hope he doesnt lose his engine for his sake.. either outcome will be funny though..
He could also be seriously injured. The guy in the GTO looks like he got lucky. Don't do it man, especially for the sake of a ******* Internet arguement.
Old 03-03-2009 | 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
He could also be seriously injured. The guy in the GTO looks like he got lucky. Don't do it man, especially for the sake of a ******* Internet arguement.
i would feel bad...

as long as he didnt get INJURED (just hurt) it would still be funny as ****..

and yes, this is regardless if i know you or not.. would be even funnier if i knew you.

Quick Reply: Hav you checked you noids lately????look inside