Sponsored by:

FJO idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FJO idea

Here is the problem:
Lot of us nitrous guys have had the lean spike issue whether its small spike or large spike. I have a FJO cotroller with a NX wet kit. With the car on the dyno we saw the lean spike and did all we could tune wise to address it.

The idea:
The way my FJO is wired up with the wet shot is only a single stage (thats a given) So there is the Second stage wire that im not using.

Im putting the fuel as Stage 1 and Nitrous as Stage 2. My thought is that by doing this I can have the fuel stage come inn first by a hair or ramp faster inn than the nitrous. Does this make any sense?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

18 views and no opinions?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had customers that did that in the past. The problem with running each solenoid on different circuts is that in the chance one circut were to fail only one solenoid would not work. By having both solenoids on the same circut its either they work or dont. This is the reason we will not ever advertise for our customers to set up a system that way.

If you are having a serious lean spike that is a concern just shrten the distance on the fuel hose from the solenoid to the nozzle. That is the safest method.

Dave
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you Dave. I was hoping to get someone like you to respond to this thread. You make a good point, its not a large lean spike, more like your average inital hit spike. I even progressed the 125 shot from 20% to 100% in a full 2 sec time. It helped but not a true fix. I have a racetronix pump and larger injectors. I know the larger injectors dont help but thought I would include that. Car mad 570hp and 612TQ on the 125 shot. I just want to find another option other than getting a stand alone.
Back to the FJO idea. So your saying the only down fall is that if one noid goes out it will obviously only shut that operation down. The only thing I changed to run the Stage 1 as fuel and the Stage 2 as nitrous was to put the nitrous wire on the stage 2 of the FJO controller as oposed to both fuel and nitrous wire going to stage 1.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The racetronix should be good for about 650 rear wheel hp as long as you have the power wire on the back of the alternator. Lean spikes can happen for many reasons. With your set up the two reasons would be either the fuel pressure is droping upon activation of the system or its just the fact the nitrous is hitting the nozzle before the fuel. If its fuel pressure the only fix is to upgrade the fuel system. If its not the fuel system and the slike is just a split second and not very high it will be fine. If it last a while and goes high upon the graph you need to tune it out by extending the lenth of the nitrous hose or shortening the distance on the fuel.

Dave
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that info Dave. I really think putting fuel as stage 1 and nitrous as stage 2 then have fuel come inn at less progress and the Nitrous stage to come inn a little more progressed will give the pump and fuel time to recover from the inital hit. Or what if I have the fuel stage spray 1/4 a sec before the nitrous stage? Does any of this make sense?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried running a shorter fuel and longer nirtrous lines. This helped in the few kits that I had issues with
Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Staging Lane

I just wonder if anyone has tried to use the Fjo this way?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

I would say no
Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Staging Lane

bump for this Q
Old 03-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Truck Sponsor

Its not recommended.
yes, Not on an efi carb either. IF you accept the risk, and the possible outcome then jump on it.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Truck Sponsor

FOr the safy I would get ahold of Dynotunes airfuel cut. So if a noid does not fire, with will shut the system down.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

In theory it will work but in the real world i wouldnt do that speedracer .

The first time your in a hurry to adjust things will be the last time you run that motor .
Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
FOr the safy I would get ahold of Dynotunes airfuel cut. So if a noid does not fire, with will shut the system down.
I dont see any more of a risk than running both noids on the same stage. If a noid is going to fail then its going to fail, I dont see how having them on separate stages is a risk? I get and understand to take car with the settings and all this will be done on a dyno. I will not change the setting once its set on the dyno and safe. I really appreciate the feed back. Keep it coming.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Truck Sponsor

The reason its more of a risk, you now have split the controll wires. Like having 2 switches to controll two things instead of just one switch. I am not saying it will fail, but you will have increased your chances of a failure.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see the problem in doing that at all, and it will definitely help with any lean spike issues. You just have to be smart about how you wire everything up. If stage I (fuel solenoid) fails, somehow you need to notify stage II (nitrous solenoid) so it's not spraying, and vice versa. The crude method would be to use a relay, and if you understand how to use one, you'll be safe in the event of a failure. I bought a circuit board and some logic gates because I wanted my error check to be compact.

The only problem I do see is solenoid load balancing. In the Maximizer II, FJO gave the user the option to enable or disable it. Load balancing should be turned off when splitting solenoids across stages (as you suggested in your original post). I would contact FJO and ask them about load balancing in the mini controller.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
I don't see the problem in doing that at all, and it will definitely help with any lean spike issues. You just have to be smart about how you wire everything up. If stage I (fuel solenoid) fails, somehow you need to notify stage II (nitrous solenoid) so it's not spraying, and vice versa. The crude method would be to use a relay, and if you understand how to use one, you'll be safe in the event of a failure. I bought a circuit board and some logic gates because I wanted my error check to be compact.

The only problem I do see is solenoid load balancing. In the Maximizer II, FJO gave the user the option to enable or disable it. Load balancing should be turned off when splitting solenoids across stages (as you suggested in your original post). I would contact FJO and ask them about load balancing in the mini controller.
Fantastic info man, thanks. I think it could work. load balance? I going to set them both at 14hz.?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825

Load balance?