Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me how you set up your 2 stage activation buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Show me how you set up your 2 stage activation buttons

I am trying to set up a 2 stage nitrous system and I am tyring to figure out how to mount the butttons in the car. I am setting this up for the street so I will have to be able to play with the buttons at all times. One hand will have to be able to shift the car and the other hand on the steering wheel. I will have to mount the buttons on the steering wheel or put the buttons on the shifter, so show me how you have yours set up.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Anybody?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a majority of people use a 2 stage window switch to control both stages. For street racing i would say use a window swtich for the first stage and then go off a button for the second, if need be.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Here is an example of a two stage for the console in front of the shifter.

Or something extreme

Here is an my old panel

Last edited by Beer99C5; 03-09-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I like what I'm seeing so keep them coming. I forgot to add that this is an auto car but has to be manually shifted.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a bad cell phone pic of what I'm making for mine

The two red covers house the switches for the two stages (left is 1, right is 2), the bottom switch between those two are for bottle heaters, the momentary switch above that is for the purge, the switch near the bottom is the main activation (gives power to all switches/nitrous accessories), and the black box at the bottom is a Summit window switch. I'll probably put my square DynoTune nitrous gauge in the gap in the middle area

*edit* This style may not be ideal for a 6 speed shifted car

Last edited by Strahley; 03-09-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I use to activate my second stage---

Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why you want both stages on buttons. That alot to try to do while driving the car. I would suggest using our dual stage digital windowswitch with buil;t in TPS activation.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=964

You can wire each stage on a button in conjuction with this unit if you like. The unit will just keep you safe. You may look into a shifter **** with built in button or maybe an after market steering wheel with buttons built in. Keep it simple. That is the key to avoiding mistakes.
Dave
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
You may look into a shifter **** with built in button or maybe an after market steering wheel with buttons built in. Keep it simple. That is the key to avoiding mistakes.
Dave
I tried the shifter **** activation for a while last year. Talk about a cluster *****. I would push the damned button, shift, then forget to hit the damned button/ thumb would slide off the switch. I think the steering wheel would be the way to go if the OP is against electronics.

Whichever electronic control method you would choose, you can't go wrong.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I here you there. My old SS was just a pain with the switches in the console. When I would pull up to the burn out box and then stage it just trying to get everything organized and shuting the console lid dtressed me out. Going don the track I want to have more controll of driving the car rather than worring about controlling two stages. One on a button would be fine but two would be more than I would want to handle.
The faster you get the less time you have to watch everything and controll it.
Dave
Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

replace your MSD digital with the Nitro Dave Dual window switch, only $110, let the box turn on each stage of the spray at your desired RPM
Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I here you there. My old SS was just a pain with the switches in the console. When I would pull up to the burn out box and then stage it just trying to get everything organized and shuting the console lid dtressed me out. Going don the track I want to have more controll of driving the car rather than worring about controlling two stages. One on a button would be fine but two would be more than I would want to handle.
The faster you get the less time you have to watch everything and controll it.
Dave
The key word you stated here is TRACK. This car will only see the track to make sure it runs the number and making sure the car is ok. If you are a good driver you can make it happen, but just keep it simple. My buddy that will be doing the driving has a nova that runs bottom 10's to high 9's on the first stage. I have watched him sand bag a good bit of racers on the street, getting on and off the juice and I have watched him play with both stages. It can be done
Originally Posted by pasbonsimon
replace your MSD digital with the Nitro Dave Dual window switch, only $110, let the box turn on each stage of the spray at your desired RPM
Thats cool and all but will that box let me get on/off the juice when I want? Will it let me just skip the first stage and go to the second stage immediatley? I need full control of the two stages. I will most likely put the first stage on a micro switch on the pedal with a main activation switch for it and put the second stage on a button on the shifter.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

One other question I want to ask some of you nitrous guys is about the two stages. I plan on shooting a total of 200 on the car. Hitting it with a 75 on the first and 125 on the second. The question is hitting both stages to get to 200 ok or should I set it up on 75 first stage and putting it on 200 for the second stage so I would have to switch off of the first and hit the second stage?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

I ran mine at 100/100.

You have to be prepared for the fact that the first stage might not shut off, then you're hitting it with 275. It's a slim chance but could happen.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I hear you on that one! Well it would do one of two things: Its gonna go or its gonna blow. What I'm really trying to get at is, are there any drawbacks to hitting both stages to get to the full amount?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
I ran mine at 100/100.

You have to be prepared for the fact that the first stage might not shut off, then you're hitting it with 275. It's a slim chance but could happen.
Why not just run both stages at the same time anyway?

The way I have mine setup, the first stage will be spraying off the line (traditional pre-MAF dry), then depending on traction I'll trigger the second stage when I'm ready for it (post-MAF with the Interface) to spray along with the first. The MAF will still read the first stage and supply fuel, and the Interface will tell the MAF to add in the extra fuel for the second stage
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

jmill96z how are you spraying yours?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Now I am hooked on that MicroEdge. I'm doing a different setup this year, but still running 2 stages off of the MicroEdge.

Last year, I did everything from running the first kit off the line, waited for the car to stabilize, shifted into 2nd and flipped the switch on the 2nd kit. That worked OK, I just felt like it I was losing some valuable ET.

Then I went to the button on the shifter and hated it, my experiences with that are above.

Now I have the MicroEdge and it is awesome. I set the first kit with no delay, and the 2nd kit with anything from .5-1 second delay depending on the track conditions. I also use the pedal feature in case I have to get out of it. It delays the reactivation in order to regain traction. All of this happens automatically so all I have to worry about is keeping the car straight.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

Is there a way to set it up so no matter what rpm your at the 2 stages activate say .5 (or any set number)seconds apart from eachother instead of by certain rpms??