Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is it about nitrous the makes it break stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The post above is for the one that say im crazy ,The first post that i put up sound reasonable. But i guess you all know best. But nitrous need less timing, more fuel, lower heat range plugs and a good tune. and a WB to watch air to fuel mixture. Thats all i said.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
The post above is for the one that say im crazy ,The first post that i put up sound reasonable. But i guess you all know best. But nitrous need less timing, more fuel, lower heat range plugs and a good tune. and a WB to watch air to fuel mixture. Thats all i said.
How can you tell someone to take out 4* of timing for every 50hp if you don't even know what cylinder head, valve angle, compression ratio, camshaft timing, quench, etc...? Who ever came up with the equation for taking a certain amount of timing out per 50hp should be slapped. Every engine is not the same, and does not take the same formula. Contrary to popular belief, nitrous also does not need more fuel. If you are tuning nitrous by reading the a/f ratio, you are pissing up a rope. A/F ratio is meaningless with nitrous. The N/F ratio is what matters. The only way to correctly tune nitrous is reading the plugs. Smaller single systems are typically not as critical. You will always burn a piston from being rich and/or over timed before you will from being lean. I personally can't say I have ever seen a piston that was burnt from a lean condition. Every one I've seen have either been melted from too much timing, or had lifted ring lands from too much fuel, just to name a few scenarios. They all typically result from over timed, or overly rich.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A/F ratio is meaningless for N20?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
There is no optimal a/f ratio. Kind of like n/a, you feed it unitl it stops making power. Tune by the plugs. Whatever the engine likes, it likes. Once you get the tune-up close, you can monitor the a/f after that as a reference. I have some tune-ups that ended up in the 14's. My personal car is in the low 14's, and spraying between 4-500.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

I'd like to hear more about this too!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well, 99 out of 100 of us dont have the time nor money to be sitting on a dyno to find all this out and pull plugs...

My wideband has helped me out alot in tuning for N/A (~13.0) , then I just throw in the recommended nozzles and hit the ~12.0 range and pull some timing and call it a day. You follow a few "general" rules and it help you spray safe.

Ive went lean pretty bad one time and thought I got off the gas pretty quick, when I got back and pulled plugs 4 out of the 8 had no ends left.. Im sure if I wouldnt of had the wideband in and saw it when I did it could have went alot worse. So, I dont think your statement of A/F on nitrous is accurate.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, 99 out of 100 of us dont have the time nor money to be sitting on a dyno to find all this out and pull plugs...

My wideband has helped me out alot in tuning for N/A (~13.0) , then I just throw in the recommended nozzles and hit the ~12.0 range and pull some timing and call it a day. You follow a few "general" rules and it help you spray safe.

Ive went lean pretty bad one time and thought I got off the gas pretty quick, when I got back and pulled plugs 4 out of the 8 had no ends left.. Im sure if I wouldnt of had the wideband in and saw it when I did it could have went alot worse. So, I dont think your statement of A/F on nitrous is accurate.
The only thing that knocks plug tips off it too much timing. Your tune up was rich, which was covering up the over-timed issue. When the fuel went away, the timing came around and took the plug tips with it. My statement is 100% accurate, which is why my tune ups don't burn pistons, or knock plug tips off.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

But don't take my word for it, I'm nobody.

Read up on this guy, or send him an email, and he'll tell you the same thing I just did. His name is Monte Smith, and is the Technical Director for Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS).

http://www.montesmithperformance.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Running 100 octane, had 5* pulled via timing tuner.. ran 175 shot when later I found out that my fuel system was tapped out at 80 shot. I went lean. On top of that my NANO bottle went to ~1500psi due to the regualtor was fucked up on the fill up. Call it what you want, I changed plugs and ran ET below next time out.

I would also imagine your block is built for spray... So, you have a bigger window for error.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is entertaining. shiz, clear up the fog lol
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
this thread is entertaining. shiz, clear up the fog lol
These special fog glasses should help. lol

Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Running 100 octane, had 5* pulled via timing tuner.. ran 175 shot when later I found out that my fuel system was tapped out at 80 shot. I went lean. On top of that my NANO bottle went to ~1500psi due to the regualtor was fucked up on the fill up. Call it what you want, I changed plugs and ran ET below next time out.

I would also imagine your block is built for spray... So, you have a bigger window for error.
When you are spraying 500, there is no window for error. I am running a stock short block 302. Stock pistons, rods, and crank. Has over 100 nitrous passes on it now. Haven't hurt a thing.

I also have a 3600lb race weight f-body, cam only with a 6 speed with a .062 nitrous jet that runs 9.80s.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Had you not have been running so rich, the fuel system would have been better for a little bit bigger shot, and you wouldn't have had as much timing which would lessen the chance for failure during a lean scenario (although that's not the point of pulling timing).

Pulling a set amount of timing would all depend on where you started. Most tune NA by putting in as much timing as they can get away with until the get KR. A lot of folks on this board could pull 5 degrees of timing NA and barely notice a loss in MPH, if any. You should pull at least 2 degrees per 50hp for the first few 50hps. With more nitrous you should increase that ratio, then pull a little more just for the hell of it. You can always add timing later to get more power, but you can't take it away from the motor you just melted down.

If you've got to waste a few sets of perfectly good plugs, that's chump change compared to what it costs for even the smallest nitrous **** up.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Had you not have been running so rich, the fuel system would have been better for a little bit bigger shot, and you wouldn't have had as much timing which would lessen the chance for failure during a lean scenario (although that's not the point of pulling timing).

Pulling a set amount of timing would all depend on where you started. Most tune NA by putting in as much timing as they can get away with until the get KR. A lot of folks on this board could pull 5 degrees of timing NA and barely notice a loss in MPH, if any. You should pull at least 2 degrees per 50hp for the first few 50hps. With more nitrous you should increase that ratio, then pull a little more just for the hell of it. You can always add timing later to get more power, but you can't take it away from the motor you just melted down.

If you've got to waste a few sets of perfectly good plugs, that's chump change compared to what it costs for even the smallest nitrous **** up.

I dont know what you mean by running so rich... I never said I ran rich, I ran lean. Run out of fuel = lean.

And to be honest, I cant remember if it was a 150 or a 175 shot I was running at the time. It was over a year ago.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

12.0:1 is usually a little on the rich side. Though a lot of folks go even richer and end up running faster with more timing (to help burn off the extra fuel), but that's a recipe for disaster.

You've got to know which set of general rules that you should be following. There's a right set and a wrong set.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

12.0:1 is usually a little on the rich side. Though a lot of folks go even richer and end up running faster with more timing (to help burn off the extra fuel), but that's a recipe for disaster.
Gotcha.. I thought you were talking about my melt down being rich. I was like

12.0 is just a number I shoot for and generally a safe one on the spray. Sometimes it ends up 11.5, sometimes 12.3.. I have a stand alone in the works (to fix the fuel issue) and it should be done this weekend. PLan on running the 116 octane, that should help.

Let me ask you this, so with running 100 octane in the tank and 116 in the stand alone, what would be the advantage? Less timing, running a leaner A/F??

Last edited by waterbug1999; 04-28-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Gotcha.. I thought you were talking about my melt down being rich. I was like

12.0 is just a number I shoot for and generally a safe one on the spray. Sometimes it ends up 11.5, sometimes 12.3.. I have a stand alone in the works (to fix the fuel issue) and it should be done this weekend. PLan on running the 116 octane, that should help.
Read this again vvv
Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
Contrary to popular belief, nitrous also does not need more fuel. If you are tuning nitrous by reading the a/f ratio, you are pissing up a rope. A/F ratio is meaningless with nitrous. The N/F ratio is what matters. The only way to correctly tune nitrous is reading the plugs. Smaller single systems are typically not as critical. You will always burn a piston from being rich and/or over timed before you will from being lean. I personally can't say I have ever seen a piston that was burnt from a lean condition. Every one I've seen have either been melted from too much timing, or had lifted ring lands from too much fuel, just to name a few scenarios. They all typically result from over timed, or overly rich.
I'll let these other guys chime on their fuel, but I think they are running 12.8 and up on very big shots.

Safe AFR is the correct AFR, which isn't rich or lean. You can hurt the motor with too much of either. You can't hurt anything with too little timing.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me ask you this, so with running 100 octane in the tank and 116 in the stand alone, what would be the advantage? Less timing, running a leaner A/F??
150-175 isn't that big of a shot. I think you could get away with less fuel, assuming cold plugs and correct timing. It's up to you to figure out what plugs and what timing it will end up being.

But running a mix of race fuel it is important that you always keep the mix the same or check the state of tune after changing fuels. They all have different burn characteristics which will have an effect on the timing that you have/need.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

150-175 isn't that big of a shot. I think you could get away with less fuel, assuming cold plugs and correct timing. It's up to you to figure out what plugs and what timing it will end up being.

But running a mix of race fuel it is important that you always keep the mix the same or check the state of tune after changing fuels. They all have different burn characteristics which will have an effect on the timing that you have/need.
Well, thats as big of a shot I think my stock block will handle... I always run 100 octane in the tank (easy to get ahold of)) when racing and 91 when around town and plan on just filling a 5 gallon can of some 116 race gas to top of the stand alone when needed. Higher octane should lesson detonation/KR, right?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, thats as big of a shot I think my stock block will handle... I always run 100 octane in the tank (easy to get ahold of)) when racing and 91 when around town and plan on just filling a 5 gallon can of some 116 race gas to top of the stand alone when needed. Higher octane should lesson detonation/KR, right?
Better fuel will allow more timing, if needed.