Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: DP or plate kit?
Ass up the extra bucks and do the direct port kit with the stand alone and spray a 250 shot
44.44%
get the plate kit and spray a 200 shot
55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

should i spray my 408 with a direct port kit or plate kit??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i spray my 408 with a direct port kit or plate kit??

Ok im finally getting around to having some nitrous put on my car. I have a 2000 Camaro SS thats begging for it. About 2 months ago i broke the 10 bolt and had a Moser 9' with 3.89's installed. About 6 months ago I blew the ls1 n it and dropped an HKE 408 iron block now has about 5k miles on it.

SVO 42 lb injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Scat 4.00" Crankshaft
Scat 6.125" I Beam Rods
Wiesco Custom Forged Pistons
ACL Race Bearings
ARP Main Studs
HKE Cam 240/244 .605/.610 113+3 LSA
TEA Stg. 1.5 5.3 Heads ported and polished
ARP Cam Bolts
N-Motion Timing Chain
GMPP LS7 Lifters
Fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm throttle body
Texatralia oz700 Clutch
T56-will be built at the same time of the nitrous install.

Car made 512/502 with cutout open

Now with my setup i'd like to see how you guys think i should go about spraying my car. I'm not planning on tracking it so much, although i will take it down there when its done just to see what it runs, and maybe here and there. But i want it to be more of a raw street racing car. I had a DP kit and Stand alone fuel system priced and also a 92 mm plate kit. The DP route is going to run me about 2-2.5k more than the plate kit. If i was going DP i was planning on spraying a 250 and i was told if i went with the plate kit the maximum i could really spray is a 200..but i could maybe get away with not buying the fuel system and the expensive DP kit and make a little less power. Now i know the DP kit is safer and supports higher shots but for my setup and best bang for the buck what route do you guys think i should go for best setup without having to worrying about blowing anything up but still making 700-750 HP. Any advice would be appreciated.

Kody-

Last edited by vicouSS00; 05-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:57 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your rings arnt gapped i wouldnt spray more than a 175 but yes spray the **** out of it
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 AM
9 Second Club

I would try the plate kit thats what im running on my 402 and love it.DP is nice but for a mostly street car I would go with the plate you can also put a second stage on it for more power.Eventually Im going to go direct port but for now the plate is getter done.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTENESS
I would try the plate kit thats what im running on my 402 and love it.DP is nice but for a mostly street car I would go with the plate you can also put a second stage on it for more power.Eventually Im going to go direct port but for now the plate is getter done.

What does having a street car have to do with a direct port?? I have a street car with a direct port.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:16 AM
10 Second Club

The jets are easier to change out on the plate kit and a heck of alot cheaper. I have a direct port and it a PITA to change the jets but I get equal nitrous/fuel distro to the cylinders.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 PM
9 Second Club

Find out what your rings are gapped for. I had my gapped for a 300 shot and had Dave@Nitrous Outlet built me a direct port. Direct ports you need to be spraying at least a min of 200 shot. then you have to run low pressure fuel. I would just call Dave and let him help you on your decision.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
Find out what your rings are gapped for. I had my gapped for a 300 shot and had Dave@Nitrous Outlet built me a direct port. Direct ports you need to be spraying at least a min of 200 shot. then you have to run low pressure fuel. I would just call Dave and let him help you on your decision.
Not with a stand-alone fuel system. I would do a DP with a stand-alone fuel system. You will eventually want to up the jet to 250... it is just sorta how these things work.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM
10 Second Club

Mine is a NX direct port and I run the high pressure setup right off the fuel rail. I do have the fuel accumulator to help with the initial lean spike. I have never had a problem out of it. I have sprayed a 250rwhp shot on mine several times with this setup. You just have to be careful and check your fuel jets every so often. Just a little bit of debris and they get clogged. I have used this system since 2006. I just had to replace the solenoids this year.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

DP is easier to tune individual cylinders and capable of larger shot with better distribution....thats why i would to go DP
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a DP on my 408 and could never get the bugs worked out. went to a plate and couldn't be happier
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

A plate kit like our Brute Force 92mm kit would work well and achieve exactly what you want out of it. It would also leave room in the walet for a standalone, which you would need unless you plan to upgrade your fuel system. You may want to consider progressing the shot or breaking it up into stages. Depending on your suspension and drivetrain, it might be a good idea for traction purposes. If you would like another quote on the direct port please let me know and we can work one up. We have a lot of experience doing them
Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by vicouSS00
If i was going DP i was planning on spraying a 250 and i was told if i went with the plate kit the maximum i could really spray is a 200.
Kody-
If you were wanting to spray anything over 200hp later then i'd suggest going with out plate. It can go over 200hp shots without a problem unlike some of the other plates on the market. We have several customers spraying 300hp with our plates without a problem.

View Video on FQuick

-Chris
Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Chris, all of the plates on the market can spray over a 200 shot. the thing is most in the industry will state that a front entrance below the runner plenum style intake will not flow wet hits so well above about a 200 shot. does that mean it can't be done? No. But it does mean we would be taking a bigger chance of having an issue. here is the HSW plate, as we can see it certainly can flow more than the rec 200, and deliver an even distribution, but fuel drop out is a known issue, so let the end user decide if the bigger shot is up his alley.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...=hsw-plate.flv

I suggest if you want to go plate style kit and bigger than a 200 shot, go the dry route as the distribution per cylinder is not an issue and individual cylinder tuning is much less important. Also the dry plate kit is ready for dual staging, just buy one noid and some line.

Even a DP the dry style has benifits IMO. it's certainly cheaper, easier to plumb, easier to change size, easier to tune. The only thing would be injectors of the right size.

before anyone starts crying, I only put the dry out there for info purposes and if you do not support this style of nitrous we don't care, as the end user has the right to hear all sides.

You can also go either style and add the other style later, IE: DP Dry stage 1, Dry plate stage 2 and 3. All runing off of the cars fuel system so no need for a stand alone exspense, got to love the high tech of the computer:

That is the benifit these days for the spraying public, new school technology or old school technology. A size and style for everyone, lol.
Robert

Robert
Old 05-22-2009, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default I am in the exact same predicament as the OP

Got a built 383 that needs a stand alone to spray and I am wondering to anni up and go direct port or put a wet plate kit on it and save a lil dough. I know I would be happy with a 200 shot that would put me over 600 to the wheels. I heard the DP's have to be taken care of with all the noids but are a true no **** when its a 200 hit it really is a 200 hit
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

I ran 125-150 on a direct port on my stock bottom LS1 with no issues for years. My biggest complaint was 16 jets to buy and change.

In my DP, I pulled fuel from the stock fuel rail to a pressure regulator. I had all the N2O and fuel jets the same and ran 8-10# of fuel on that side. I could tweak the a/f while on the juice by adjusting the fuel pressure at the regulator. Rather than buy 8 more fuel jets to tweak the a/f ratio, I could just adjust the fuel pressure. I used low pressure to keep the jets all the same, that way there was no mistake.

I changed to a plate because I was tired of changing jets 16 at a time...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

DP's are sweet and individual cylinder tuning is nice, but cost is kinda up there. I would say plate it wet and forget about it unless dollars arent an option. If your straight ballin outta control I would say DP. Yeah, its a little more of a PITA, but you just cant beat a nozzle per cylinder giving each cylinder the same amount of nitrous and fuel per hit. The Ohhhhh Ahhhhh factor is pretty nice also.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BADMOON
Got a built 383 that needs a stand alone to spray and I am wondering to anni up and go direct port or put a wet plate kit on it and save a lil dough. I know I would be happy with a 200 shot that would put me over 600 to the wheels. I heard the DP's have to be taken care of with all the noids but are a true no **** when its a 200 hit it really is a 200 hit
Are you saying you cant get a true 200 hit out of a plate?

As far as maintaining, DP's arent any harder to take car of than a plate kit. Yeah, sometimes theres 2 more noids, but the service intervals are the same. Now it might be a little more exspensive on the DP if during your bi yearly or whatever soleniod check you find either damage or trash in the noids and have to replace some parts, but intervals for checks should be the same for both, and should be done and never overlooked.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
you have to run a min of 200hp shot?????? Who told you that? I went from a plate to a direct port. I picked up 1 full tenth on a 150hp hit from the plate to fogger...Same air, track temp, DA, everything to a T...

Quick Reply: should i spray my 408 with a direct port kit or plate kit??