Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using wideband with microedge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default using wideband with microedge?

I have the HSW microedge, and want to hook my wideband up into it. My wideband has a 2 extra wires on it, called 0-5v output and one that says serial output, which one would I want it to goto? sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be the 0-5v wire. What color are the wires?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 0-5v is white and the serial output is blue.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its aem uego wideband if that helps also.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, take the 0-5 from the wideband.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, thanks a lot!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wired up my microedge today and was configuring some of the settings. The TPS and RPMs were a piece of cake, but I have the same AEM wideband and hooked it up to the 0-5v output wire. My question is how do you set it up with the microedge to be from lets say 10.5:1 to 13:5:1? Does it automatically convert it for you because the readings on the microedge for the 02s were displayed in the 0-5volts? I only got to play with it for like 15 minutes before I had to come to work, but I'd like to get a little insight before I go back tomorrow to finish programming the settings. Thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Second Club

You go into the lean shutoff settings. There will be both rich and lean cutoff points which are adjustable in .1 incriments. All the way from 7.0 to 20.0 IIRC

The more familiar you get with it, you'll really be impressed with all of it's features. My favorite was the 2 stage control.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by rmata
I just wired up my microedge today and was configuring some of the settings. The TPS and RPMs were a piece of cake, but I have the same AEM wideband and hooked it up to the 0-5v output wire. My question is how do you set it up with the microedge to be from lets say 10.5:1 to 13:5:1? Does it automatically convert it for you because the readings on the microedge for the 02s were displayed in the 0-5volts? I only got to play with it for like 15 minutes before I had to come to work, but I'd like to get a little insight before I go back tomorrow to finish programming the settings. Thanks
yes the analog output is the reference signal provided by all widebands. The microEDGE will display it in a/f ratio not voltage.

Nick
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

I just hooked mine up to my AEM the other day also. Make sure you select the correct gauge (AEM in your case) in the menu of the microedge. Something strange I noticed though was that after hooking up, my microedge shows about .5 AFR higher than the dispay on my wideband.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
I just hooked mine up to my AEM the other day also. Make sure you select the correct gauge (AEM in your case) in the menu of the microedge. Something strange I noticed though was that after hooking up, my microedge shows about .5 AFR higher than the dispay on my wideband.
Are you looking at the wideband and controller at the same time? The AFR's jump around a lot, it might just seem like it isn't accurate.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Oh, ok. I didn't select a gauge so maybe that's why it wasn't reading like I thought it would. I was going off of the instructions on the website instead of the ones that came with it because I had download them before hand. Maybe they aren't as up to date as the ones that came with the microedge. I'll find out in a little bit. Thanks for all the help
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
Are you looking at the wideband and controller at the same time? The AFR's jump around a lot, it might just seem like it isn't accurate.
Yeah I can see it when the car is off and under wide open throttle (its will stay steady then) its always .4-.5 higher on the microedge than the wideband.

And to select the AEM you have to go to the "setup" menu, then "wideband" and scroll through until you get to AEM UEGO, I think the default setting is set to the factory narrow band o2 sensor and that is why you see it come up as a voltage setting instead of a AFR.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ same here man mine was about a .5 difference.

right now im not using it, cuz my o2 went of the wideband after only 2months..
Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
^ same here man mine was about a .5 difference.

right now im not using it, cuz my o2 went of the wideband after only 2months..
Thats a pretty common issue. It is caused my ground offsets. These lean shut down controllers do not allow for any voltage offset adjustments, so you pretty much just live with it. Just know what the difference actually is and adjust your points accordingly.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the microedge is doing you guys some good, Im in the market for one but dont have all the funds just yet.. Im looking into there progressive controller (microedge + unit) they have out..
Is there anything i need to before purchasing??
Old 09-19-2009, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigboy576103
Sounds like the microedge is doing you guys some good, Im in the market for one but dont have all the funds just yet.. Im looking into there progressive controller (microedge + unit) they have out..
Is there anything i need to before purchasing??
Just do it! this thing is worth its wait in gold. I couldnt imagne running my system without it. (this is my first nitrous car) Im going to be sending mine in one of these days for the "+" upgrade. It will pretty much wire into any existing system, youll need a wideband if you want to use the lean AND rich shutdown feature though.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya i do wanna use that feature but i can only do one step at a time at the moment lol.. but i pretty much have everything except the controller and fuel pump oh and wideband
Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's not unusual. Off sets are the answer, or just remember it's slight off by .2 or what ever. Same type of issue with my LM1. hell even at the dyno, because they do tail pipe and I have my sensor at the header area it reads like one point different, but because I am aware of this I know how to compensate. also, grounds can be the reason. Why? It's due to different paths to ground and the resulting different resistance. Anyway, it's a common issue in the WB world. If AEM has a dedicated forum i would head over there. The LM1 is covered real well at HP Tuner forum for this issue and how to correct or compensate. hope this helps a bit. Good luck
Robert

Quick Reply: using wideband with microedge?