Sponsored by:

Innovate WB/lean shut down switch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Innovate WB/lean shut down switch question

So I got a dynotune lean cut off switch and an Innovate wide band that I plan to install this week. I figured wiring the cut off to the WB would be the way to go, more accurate than using the narrow band stock stuff, right?

I don't daily drive this thing or anything, but it sees street use. Do guys who run this setup just keep the WB on all the time? I know it can be removed, which means removing the sensor so it doesn't foul, which seems like a pain in the *** and renders my nitrous unuseable. My other choice is to keep the WB powered up every time I drive the car, not sure if thats a great idea or not? I haven't done alot of reading on the WB setup, I know it can be run constantly, but do I have to mess with the calibration every time I start the car or power it up and down? If I just wire to the ignition (vs the cigarette lighter) will it just power up and run every time and be hassle free?

Or should I just use the WB to tune and wire the cut off to the stock sensor?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an LM-1 permanently mounted in the car that is always hooked up to my MIcroedge for Lean cutoff. Works great!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone who installs a lean shut down should install ......
A rich shutdown switch.
A Wrong plug shut down switch.
A To much timing shut down switch.

How lean does it have to be before it shuts off anyway?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You can just use the wiring from the O2 sensor that you're removing to power the WB. It won't hurt anything to leave it in and on all the time. There is a recommended calbration time from the manufacture on the WBs. Just pull it out and recalibrate it when ever it's called for. A new sensor is around $80.

Originally Posted by ATVracr
How lean does it have to be before it shuts off anyway?
I've always wondered that too.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 08-04-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You can just use the wiring from the O2 sensor that you're removing to power the WB. It won't hurt anything to leave it in and on all the time. There is a recommended calbration time from the manufacture on the WBs. Just pull it out and recalibrate it when ever it's called for. A new sensor is around $80.

I've always wondered that too.
You set it to whatever you want.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

It can be run all the time. No re-calibration every time you drive. I run a lean shutdown off of a Innovative LC-1 and use the digital read out as my AFR gauge. My WB sensor lasted almost 3 years behind mostly race fuel. I run a 70/30 mix of race fuel and pump gas on the street because of the high compression (12.7:1).

On a side note, i am note sure why they don't include rich shut down settings on these. Its almost as bad as going lean. I don't see it taking much more to incorporate that and make it like a window switch for AFR.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by n2ocamaro
It can be run all the time. No re-calibration every time you drive. I run a lean shutdown off of a Innovative LC-1 and use the digital read out as my AFR gauge. My WB sensor lasted almost 3 years behind mostly race fuel. I run a 70/30 mix of race fuel and pump gas on the street because of the high compression (12.7:1).

On a side note, i am note sure why they don't include rich shut down settings on these. Its almost as bad as going lean. I don't see it taking much more to incorporate that and make it like a window switch for AFR.
The MicroEdge does have the lean and rich shut down feature for the WB input, lean only for the NB, IIRC. You can set these parameters to what ever works for your system, I would never leave home with out one on a street/strip set-up. Just another safety feature.

Robert
Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes keep it on at all times then set the afr to like 13.0 or less for what ever your wanting to spray it at and feel safe with on your engine...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SPRAYED Z
yes keep it on at all times then set the afr to like 13.0 or less for what ever your wanting to spray it at and feel safe with on your engine...
I agree. the Microedge has an option to display the a/f ratio at all times, so no need for a gauge or a box like the LM1 or II.
Robert
Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Is it possible to run an Innovate WB with Innovate's guage and still use the WB's data for the lean/rich cutoff in the Microedge? I'm hoping to run a dual guage A-pillar mount with fuel pressure and a wideband gauge. I just prefer the "dial" display over the LCD readout in the Microedge.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

The Innovative wideband has an extra output wire you can use for that. I use it to feed into my stock PCM to read AFR in my datalogs.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
The MicroEdge does have the lean and rich shut down feature for the WB input, lean only for the NB, IIRC. You can set these parameters to what ever works for your system, I would never leave home with out one on a street/strip set-up. Just another safety feature.

Robert
I think I will be switching to the MicroEdge then. This could also take some clutter out of my system.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

One thing to keep in mind. Due to the different ground offsets and the inability to adjust for them inside of the lean shut down switch, the a/f ratio displayed on the lean shut down switch might not match the actual a/f ratio.

In my setup, the wideband gauge reads about .4 richer than the display on the lean shut down switch. Since the lean shut down switch is hid away it doesn't really matter. I just know that if I want the switch to kill my system at 12.2 then I set it for 12.6.

Quick Reply: Innovate WB/lean shut down switch question