Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you content with your Nitrous SETUP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, the TT's is definitely better..... i know from experience

And really, you mention that driveability as an advantage of Nitrous, but this is also and advantage of a turbo car.... i had a nice, 224/224 cam in my TT car and it was great on driveability.... that's what's nice about FI, you don't have to get a huge cam to make HUGE power.... Nothing attracts attention like a TT car.... And when it comes down to it, the power is just amazing

the only disadvantage to TT's, in comparison to a positive displacement blower, is that when you're just cruisin around, not really drawing any attention, when you plant your foot to the floor, its not there instantly... you have to give it a second....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

I love nitrous because it does what I want it to do. I like the fact that I can turn the kit off and run NA and then spray and extra 200 on top and be that much faster. And it's cheap(er) than a big FI build.

Although, after Pharmacy school I plan on taking off everything Nitrous, pulling the motor, swaping the cam, swaping the pistons, and building a sick F1 car. But my nitrous will get me by for the next 4 yrs.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
IMHO, the TT's is definitely better..... i know from experience

And really, you mention that driveability as an advantage of Nitrous, but this is also and advantage of a turbo car.... i had a nice, 224/224 cam in my TT car and it was great on driveability.... that's what's nice about FI, you don't have to get a huge cam to make HUGE power.... Nothing attracts attention like a TT car.... And when it comes down to it, the power is just amazing

the only disadvantage to TT's, in comparison to a positive displacement blower, is that when you're just cruisin around, not really drawing any attention, when you plant your foot to the floor, its not there instantly... you have to give it a second....
Good point. Coming from a supercharger car I keep forgetting the drivability of turbos. My car was good, but if the belt started to slip and I really had to tension it, it would have some trouble starting from all that strain.

The TT kits on these cars don't look bad at all either, I've talked to Josh at KYTP about fabbing a kit and he's up for it, here is one:

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
I love nitrous because it does what I want it to do. I like the fact that I can turn the kit off and run NA and then spray and extra 200 on top and be that much faster. And it's cheap(er) than a big FI build.

Although, after Pharmacy school I plan on taking off everything Nitrous, pulling the motor, swaping the cam, swaping the pistons, and building a sick F1 car. But my nitrous will get me by for the next 4 yrs.
Good point on running NA and bottle, I think I'll be content with this for awhile, at least it will give me some time to build put the turbo kit together.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nitrous has worked for me so far... took a 10.50 car to 9.50 with what I'd consider a beginner kit.

Next setup will be a DP, and I'm gonna hit it with a good bit of power, and see how that goes. Alot more maintenance, flowing fuel systems, changing the plugs every run, at least until I've got a GOOD handle on it, even then it will be every otehr run I'd guess.

Bottle filling is a pita, I'm going to get a couple mother bottles, ones with no siphon tube, just mount them upside down in the stand, and get a short length of line and a good scale... freeze the bottles in my fridge in the garage, and fill them that way and take them to the track.

I'm going to unfortunately, have to pick up about 8 more bottles, which sucks.... but it is what it is, at least that way I will be able to change it every run, and if I go for a weekend, I should have enough for a couple time trial runs, and enough to race (figuring one bottle per run, 2 time trial, 2 qualifier, and a 16 car field, if I make it to the finals that will be 8 runs, leaves me with 2 more in the trailer just in case)
Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Same story on the T/A at the track at least. Changing/gapping plugs, changing/checking the belt, blah blah.

My favorite 2 pics from an impromteu belt swap:

Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Race your car!

I thought, and am still considering a race procharger setup. Noone's really ever built an ls powered car with a really big race setup, I mean a cog/chain driven head unit of an F2 or bigger... and made it to the track enough to really get it working.

I really want to just buy an F2R and do it... but at that point I'll end up spending as much as a turbo build, and that hasn't happened because I just don't have the 20 grand to dump into the car for that, nevermind the 15 that I'll have to spend to 25.3 the car, cause it's bound to make more then enough steam to need it.... then I'll still need to take my motor and put 10 grand into it at a MINIMUM to get it to stay together. Probably be better off just selling it and spending the 17 to build a whole new one.

So.... if I had 45 grand laying around I'd build an F2r setup, and see if that bottom 7 second pass can happen from a procharger powered car. But since I don't have the $ for that, it's get the car to 2900 lbs, which isn't cheap either, freshen up my 402 and make some changes with that to get some more power from it, swap in a glide and see how close to the 8's it will get on one kit, or how far into the 8's it will go.

3350lbs, single 65 jet and 450 rw was good for 9.5x all day anywhere.. hopefully 450 lbs out, another 75 motor hp and a fogger with a 32 jet will see 8 second passes. How many, and how far into the 8's it will go I don't know... but we'll see.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

I wish I could have got my T/A down in weight, race weight was 3968 with me in it (175lbs), 800RWHP, and it went 9.9's at 130 blowing through the converter.

Pretty wicked build of something you're looking at here:

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Race your car!

Yeah I've seen that car, and believe me, that's been one that I'd love to copy and build off of, with a couple changes.

Bottom line, it's $ and time, neither I have enough of to do that. Even if I had the fab skills to do it.... I just don't have the time right now. Probably never will.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I don't mean the power level, none of us are ever going to be content with that, I mean the type of power adder it is.
I've used it for 25yrs. and still like it.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Yep, I feel the same way. Hopefully it will do me over for a season until I can get the cash together for the turbos. Priorities suck!

Thanks man!

If I were you I would consider a direct port setup. In my opinion its a whole other league than a plate kit plus its a lot safer if you are goin to be spraying a 250 hit like it says in your sig. Go ride in a dp car then ride in a plate car. Dont get me wrong the plate kits that NO and Harris offer are great products and hit hard but not as hard as a direct port setup. Turbos are the way to go in my opinion no bottle filling and the power is always there and can be made dependable, but expensive and takes alot of patience to get the bugs worked out. Nothing pulls like a turbo car but if you buy a dp setup with a big hit and progressive controller you might be surprised with nitrous high end.